News   Apr 24, 2024
 941     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 615     0 

Richard Serra's "Shift" Threatened? (King City)

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Rumours swirl around future of Richard Serra's creation Shift
Jan 27, 2008 04:30 AM
Peter Goddard
Visual Arts Columnist

Serra%20Richard%20-%20Shift%20(1970-72,%20King%20City%20Ontario)%20.jpg

Artist's work is wanted from L.A. to Bilbao, but developers might have troubling plans for wall-like King City piece (picture not from The Star)

Other than maybe patching up a "few cracks in it," Richard Serra says he isn't worried about Shift (1970-1972), the American sculptor's stone work on a rugged stretch of farmland near King City.

But many local residents continue to fret about the future of the meandering wall-like structure adjacent to Keele St. until it is officially protected under the Ontario Heritage Act.

Monday, Feb. 11 is likely the earliest date for that to happen at a King Township council meeting. However, tomorrow's council meeting with developer Great Gulf Group, owner of the property where the work is located, will give everyone a better idea of what's in store for Shift, says Mayor Margaret Black.

"Weeks ago we had a (council) meeting where a number of people wanted to designate the work on the spot," says Black, a lawyer who grew up in the area. "But I wanted to wait a bit and talk to the landowner. I don't see what harm it can do. Some good can come from it."

Great Gulf Group has shown no interest in altering Shift in any way. Nevertheless last Monday's request by company spokesperson Beth Halpenny to defer the historical designation vote alarmed a number of King Township Heritage Committee members. They worried "about what (the developers) are up to," as one said last week. (Great Gulf didn't return several calls made by the Star.)

"There might be concerns by the owner about liability," says Mayor Black. "They might be worried about (something happening to) people walking out to see the work. Richard Serra is a famous sculptor now. That's the significance of this piece. There's a lot of history to this."

Serra agrees. "You can find many pieces (by others) which came after Shift," he says on the phone from his New York office. "They have direct links back to that piece."

Now best known since the '80s for his enormous work made from Cor-Ten steel and situated in urban spaces, Serra in the '70s worked in parallel with the late Robert Smithson in forwarding the very macho idea of land art.

Serra reminds me that he helped "stake out" Smithson's Spiral Jetty (1970), the mammoth earth piece spooling out into the chemically tinctured Great Salt Lake in Utah that's arguably still the best known earthwork on the planet.

Spiral Jetty is best seen by way of an aerial view from an airplane. "But Shift was really about an insertion into the landscape," says Serra. "To me it was a breakthrough piece," the 68-year-old artist goes on. "There wasn't any precursor for that kind of work. No one had yet used the measure of one's body walking to deal with the perception of elevation and the rise and fall of the landscape. (Shift) was determined by two people walking in opposite directions.

"We had an engineer who took core samplings so that we could put its foundations as deep as they needed to be in order to sustain the load. So far it's proven to be correct. Because if it does crack there's going to be a problem in terms of the alignment and the piece might get out of plumb. There hasn't been a structural upheaving yet."

Securing a colossal Serra work seems to be a must for any new arts space. The 2005 installation of the New York sculptor's Tilted Spheres (2002-2004) literally affected construction of Pearson airport's new Terminal 1 to make room for the work's four mammoth plates, each 4.54 metres high.

Serra's 1,000-plus-tonne sculpture The Material of Time is the centrepiece of the titanium-clad Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, northern Spain, along with an earlier work, Snake. Only this month these works have caused Basque cultural figures in Bilbao an equally mammoth guilt-trip. Originally expecting to pay some $30.5 million (Canadian) for the work in 2005, museum officials admitted they must now pay about $9 million more due to a "mistaken" calculation in currency exchange rates.

Serra only just finished installing two new pieces in the Broad Contemporary Art Museum, part of the newly renovated Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) due to open Feb. 16. Sequence, on loan, may eventually end up in a new contemporary museum proposed for San Francisco, Serra's hometown, by Gap founder Donald Fisher. Band, "a more abstract piece," in Serra's view, remains at LACMA. "It is hard to understand," says Serra. "It has a very fast, ground-hugging motion to it."

In April he'll begin installation on yet another large-scale work. It opens May 6 in Paris' Grand Palais as part of its Monumenta series, which began last year with Anselm Kiefer.

"It is probably the biggest indoor site in Europe," says Serra. "The piece will have 12 elements 120 feet apart."

Yet, he balks at the term "monumental" being attached to his work. "I don't know of any sculpture that's not figurative that's monumental," he says. "Monuments signify a code that has usually something to do with a personage or an event. I build a lot of landscape pieces that are not monumental."

Starting with Shift. Roger Davidson, a wealthy art collector "was the client," Serra says. "I gave him two other sculptures in order to have the possibility of building a piece on his land. I was too young at the time to have a contract.

"Just think of it. I've given this guy two very good pieces to use his land."

pgoddard@thestar.ca

Peter Goddard is the Toronto Star's visual arts columnist.

Ugh. The 905 has a record of protecting historic buildings and cultural artifacts that makes China look like Italy. Let's hope for the best.

That I even have to worry about a Serra piece getting trashed reminds me of how we demolished Frank Lloyd Wright's Banff Visitor's Centre in 1939 (when he was in his prime!). If the Serra work is touched, it will painfully remind me that Canada is not out of the woods yet when it comes to shedding our hick past.

That I even have to worry about a Serra piece getting trashed reminds me of how we demolished Frank Lloyd Wright's Banff Visitor's Centre in 1939 (when he was in his prime!).

Yes, but that was 1939. I doubt that *any* FLW would have been "safe", *anywhere*, at that moment.

Remember that his Midway Gardens in Chicago was already gone for a decade (after barely 15 years existence!), and the Larkin Building in Buffalo was to go a decade later, etc...

Oh. My. Gawd.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure if it's more a matter of its actually being threatened by demolition, or of Great Gulf trying to figure what the heck to do with it, how exactly to plan around it, etc...

Yes, but that was 1939. I doubt that *any* FLW would have been "safe", *anywhere*, at that moment.

Remember that his Midway Gardens in Chicago was already gone for a decade (after barely 15 years existence!), and the Larkin Building in Buffalo was to go a decade later, etc...

adma, the diff is that there was no other FLW building in Canada, and there probably wasn't ever going to be another one (there wasn't).

adma, the diff is that there was no other FLW building in Canada, and there probably wasn't ever going to be another one (there wasn't).

But why would that have been of deep concern 'way back in 1939? Compared to today, there wasn't much of a heritage movement to speak of, let alone one for the (then) very recent past. And it didn't matter whether it was Canada, or anyplace else, and so what if it was FLW's only building in Canada*. You're viewing things 'way too much through the prism of present heritage and starchitect obsessions. Now, if it were 1959 or 1969, I'd understand your lament--but 1939? That's jumping the gun.

*actually, only public building; I believe he did some minor early summer-cottage stuff in Soo environs...

I'm trying to figure out how to access it *from* the road; or if there's freely available access roadways. (And I'm not sure if this is the right time of the year to do so...)

I'm trying to figure out how to access it *from* the road; or if there's freely available access roadways. (And I'm not sure if this is the right time of the year to do so...)

I'm pretty sure that this IS the right time of year as it can't be seen when crops grow up around it in the summer and spring is mud season.

Is that a hint for me to organize a road trip? :)

Sure; if you're up for some friendly trespassing.

Back