News   Mar 28, 2024
 31     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 533     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 345     0 

Waterfront: Martin Goodman Trail - Ontario Place (Janet Rosenberg)

Although any improvement to this stretch of waterfront is welcome, this all looks like halfway measures to me.

Why the Ontario Place parking lots right near the trail need to be almost entirely retained is beyond me - when there's an entire ocean of parking right near the place, across the access bridges at the exhibition grounds. This is land that could be put to great green use, space for attractions, or perhaps another urbane beach like HTO.

If there's one place on earth that would benefit from direct streetcar access, this is it - and yet I don't see mention for a provision for the possibility of future LRT, streetcar or subway access. Mind you that's not Rosenberg and Associates' job, per se., but it would be nice to have that little dream formalized a bit...

I do like the improved seawall and all the greening, but it would be nice to see a more in-depth consideration of how to really improve the area and link Ontario Place to the city, instead of healthy cosmetic changes. I suppose they're doing the best they can though with a limited site and money.

This area is rundown, bleak and very dangerous to cycle through. Re-locating and establishing a true trail along the north end of Ontario Place takes away the enjoyment of riding alongside the lake, but it appears to improve safety for cyclists. Establishing the trail and minimizing conflict for cyclists, joggers and bladers vs. cars through here is a huge victory.
Waterfront enhancements, improved pedestrian & vehicular flow and greening the area up, in particular the large parking lots are also welcomed.
This can't happen soon enough.

A "true trail" would certainly help, but as pointed out will only result in taking the cyclists further away from the lake (which is the main point in cycling down there in the first place).

Unless that big parking lot goes (or is buried) I too see this exercise as a big "half measure."

The parking lot is owned by Ontarion Place and is necessary for their revenue stream. They did agree to significantly reduce the size of the lot to accommodate the path.

According to the presenters cyclists will be able to detour down to the lake as well, although the main path will be in the north.

Disappointing that only about 3 cyclists went to the presentation.

This is a real disappointment. If Ontario Place is so stupid as to not be able to imagine other options for this site, then don't waste money on it. Put in a parking lot in the back of the site with a row of 12 storey condos, landscaped waterfront, and separated paths nearer the water. Do anything except these proposals.

Maybe there's some kind of current restriction on the land uses, but that could change. If people bought in 18 Yonge, they would buy here.

I didn't know Ontario Place had a revenue stream. Why, oh why, does the Ontario Government need to run an amusement park? I'm hardly what you'd call a right-wing firebrand, but does no one else see this as really, very stupid? How did this not get privatized (with some really heavy restrictions on what they could demolish) in the Harris years?

There was a lot of talk a few years ago on merger with CNE but that obviously went nowhere. What I don't get is why the grounds of Ontario Place can't be open to the public - and charge for the various attractions instead. That way the public can get complete access to the waterfront, there won't be any awkward detours/exclusion. As I recall, the place has been suffering from declining attendance for a long while now...

AoD

I was one of the cyclists. (I was surprised that only about 10 people showed up.) The presentation was slick. I've often wondered why this stretch of the waterfront trail has been neglected. Ontario Place endorses the changes out of fear of lawsuits arising from the myriad conflicts between cyclists, pedestrians, and motor vehicles.

Yes, it's a shame they couldn't rip up all that asphalt. What a nice park it could become, easily complementing Marilyn Bell Park and Coronation Park.

But it's a substantial improvement and exciting that it could be finished by summer, 2009.

I doubt that is worth starting another Martin Goodman Trail thread (at least until something happens) so I post this WT RFP below - for MGT east of Ontario place:

Request for Prequalification (PQ) #2014-38: Construction of Martin Goodman Trail - Yo Yo Ma Lane to Stadium Road

Waterfront Toronto (legally known as Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation) is seeking PQ submissions from firms interested in participating in a Request for Tenders (RFT) for providing construction services to Waterfront Toronto. This PQ is open to all interested firms (hereinafter called “Proponents”) with experience in the required disciplines and the required resources, as further described in the PQ Document.

Interested Firms who have the requisite experience and resources are invited to submit their proposals for this PQ.

Please note the submission deadline for the PQ is September 25, 2014 before 4 p.m. local time.

Do you really think so? To me, it just looks like a small spur off of the main MGT, which is great, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "fantastic" :D

Well, perhaps an exaggeration, but what I like is that it opens up a good section of the waterfront park land, enabling cyclists to ride away from Lakeshore Blvd. and instead ride in a natural setting. This is probably one of the best uses of the former Ontario Place lands.

If the parking lots are removed I suppose the Molson bandstand needs to go as well?

Back