Toronto Republic Of Yonge And Eglinton Condos | ?m | 27s | Tridel | Burka

T

TheAlmightyFuzzy

www.tridel.com/northtoronto/northtoronto.php#reality

map_600.gif

North Toronto Collegiate Institute:
From Vision to Reality

Between Broadway and Roehampton Avenues stands North Toronto Collegiate Institute (NTCI), a 93 year old school rich in history and spirit, but in serious need of revitalization. The process of addressing the future of NTCI began with an expert panel from Toronto District School Board (TDSB) carefully weighing three options: to keep the school at status quo with necessary upgrading, to renovate and add an addition, or to redevelop from the ground up. Months of intense investigation confirmed that the first two options were too costly and inefficient, and to facilitate construction of a brand-new school, a portion of the site would be sold through a public tender process to an interested private developer.
Through a “Request for Proposal†to Toronto’s development community, the best candidate - Tridel - was chosen and a team of architects, planners and designers was formed to draft up plans for the re-development. To ensure the new plan would work for the school and integrate well into the neighbourhood, various public groups, school alumni, students and community members were also consulted. Final plans outline that the new school and two condominium residences will be built at the east end of the site, allowing the current school to operate during construction. Accessed off Broadway Avenue, the new NTCI will be registered with the Canada Green Building Council to pursue becoming the first LEED Gold Certified EcoSchool within the TDSB and will feature state-of-the-art facilities, working to fulfill its’ new vision: an enriching place for students, staff and community alike.

PDF File:

ntci.on.ca/news/rebuild/feb2004/NTCI-options.pdf

"Tridel would like your feedback. As part of the NTCI re-development, we would like your ideas in naming this visionary residential community. It will consist of two towers: a 24 storey and a 27 storey condominium residence, with a focus on excellence in architecture. An acclaimed interior designer is currently finalizing the common areas and recreational facilities and we are putting the finishing touches to suites that will range to over 3000 sq.ft. Once you submit your name recommendations, we will publish a list of selected condominium names during our next posting to this forum. Everything begins with an idea and we’d appreciate hearing yours!"

As my wife is a former student at NTCI I attended a meeting about this... about 18 months ago I suppose.

The arguments in favour were:

1. NTCI gets a fullsize football field - this seemed to be the most important :eek

2. The existing schools facilities are not being maintained - well that's a good way to ensure current staff and student buy-in.

3. The Tory funding formula doesn't let us maintain it - even though the Liberals had just been elected. It is clear in hindsight the Liberals had already told the TDSB that any changes would be politically motivated tinkering.

Any concerns about changes to the existing building and the history attached to it, as well as safety concerns regarding shared facilities with (then proposed) condos and a public throughfare were dismissed - a football field overcame all.

Any suggestions about alternative funding were dismissed - "Eric Lindros won't give us the money" - except noone seems to have asked him or any other moneyed alumnus.

This is a different school, but in the same area as NTCI. NIMBYism is strong here, if they are putting up such a stink with the dome, can you imagine the outcry with the Tridel plan?
Them North Toronto NIMBYs really bug me.
----------------------------------------------

Residents put boots to soccer dome bid
Congestion worries

Tim Shufelt
National Post

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Plans to install a three-storey inflatable dome on a school soccer field that organizers are hailing as the Field of Dreams project has some north Toronto residents concerned if they build it too many will come.

Opponents have begun a campaign to stop the $1.75-million project at Northern Secondary School near Mount Pleasant Road and Eglinton Avenue East. A petition has been signed by more than 300 people who say nearby side streets are already too congested.

The joint project with the 3,900-member North Toronto Soccer Club will restore a shabby soccer pitch, with the dome installed over one-third of the space during winter months. It will allow the soccer club to consolidate in one spot.

Deirdre Thompson, who lives within throwing distance of the field, said residents were told the project would draw an additional 1,000 people each week. "Where are they going to park?" she asked, pointing to a narrow two-lane street. "They haven't done their homework on the amount of traffic in the area."

City Councillor Michael Walker, who could not be reached for comment, has proposed parking on both sides of some streets, Ms. Thompson added, which would effectively leave only a single lane.

"Cars speed north and south, and they don't wait to stop properly," Ms. Thompson said. "There are going to be some close calls."

Jane Steele Moore, co-chair of the Field of Dreams project, said the parking issue has been largely addressed through consultation with the Toronto Parking Authority and plans for new spaces and parking meters.

She attributes local opposition to NIMBYism.

"I have respect for everybody's opinion, but I also have respect for majority opinion," Ms. Steele Moore said, pointing to the involvement of hundreds of local parents and residents.

She said the proposal has garnered the attention of civic planners, sports administrators and even FIFA, who are interested in using the dome for practice facilities during the Under-20 World Cup soccer tournament next July.

"This project is a benchmark of what a community can do to turn public assets into something more productive for the community."

Ms. Steele Moore said the project will benefit the 1,900 students of the school, soccer club members and local residents.

The City of Toronto, which pledged $130,000 to putting up the dome and installing Astroturf on the field, says the existing fence must be removed and the field should be available for use by the general public outside of school hours.

Stop the Dome, a group of residents organizing opposition, said they were told the project is now on hold pending a public consultation in January.

Most residents agree the muddy, uneven and unsightly field could use a makeover. "But traffic congestion, light pollution, noise and glare caused by a dome is not the right means to an end," the petition says.

Kirsten Matthews just moved into a house directly across the street from where the dome will sit. She said she is hopeful the project will encourage local youth to be more physically active, but is concerned her house will be dwarfed by the structure and could lower the value of her property.

"We are a bit concerned about the look. I'm sure once it's up we won't be very happy," Ms. Matthews said. "But I would much rather have a dome than a condo."

She said she is leaning towards signing the petition, but first wants more information on the facility.

Mike Bunn, an 11-year resident of the neighbourhood, said he has already signed the petition, and is dismayed at the lack of public consultation. "Before anybody around here knew about it, they had raised two-thirds of the money. We were steamrolled."

tshufelt@nationalpost.com

billonlogan

I don't think you can characterise these specific projects and therefore the opposition to them as "North Toronto NIMBYing". Certainly the NTCI project was far more about the heritage of the school and safety concerns than references to Minto for example. As you can see from this google overhead the NTCI project (on the left) will overspill onto the area covered by the NS project.

I can tell you that parking in that area is challenging already to put it mildly (when going to Churrasco for instance) and at least three substantial condo projects are happening in that area that I know of - one on MP north of Eg (900 Mount Pleasant, across the road and just north of NS), one on MP south of Eg (Chateau Royale) and one on Eg west of MP (Panache). So things are going to get worse rather than better.

Parking in the Yonge/Eglinton Area

Less available parking is the sign that the Yonge and Eglinton area is improving. Great cities of the world are almost uniformly difficult to park in, while those that have ample parking are not great.

Nice project! A giant leap forward for Tridel. Who says cereal boxes can't be sexy?? The lasting influence Aa/Peter Clewes-designed buildings has had on the Toronto condo market is becoming increasingly evident.

Sez the webpage: CS&P Architects Inc. and Burka Varacalli Architects

to tell you the truth I'm starting to get tired of the Clewes and KPMB style.. its overtaking the city! I'm scared one day down the roads we'll have 70's concrete boxes and 2000's glass boxes! I'd like to see a bit more variety

Who says cereal boxes can't be sexy??

Oh, just wait until it's built; the details will be cheap and badly executed.

Burka Varacalli are Tridel's no-talent court architects.

Gawd, they even copied the KPMB styled roofing.

It seems there will be a green roof for the project...

AoD

Meh, gotta say not to impressed. To me these resemble 1970's apartments with a bit more glass. Company's like Tridel, Monarch and Pemberton should be kept out of the city until they can come up with half decent proposals.

I like the name however.

The site is surrounded by drab 70s apartment towers - these will fit right in.

Back