Toronto Casey House | ?m | 4s | Hariri Pontarini

B

building babel

I understand that there is a RFP for an approximately $20 million addition to Casey House that has garnered quite a good response from the architectural community. I have no further information about it, but it seemed prudent to start a thread about it.

babel:

Interesting, I wonder if they are moving towards the Fife House model of providing supportive housing instead of end-of-life services.

AoD

mark simpson:

Casey House is an AIDS hospice - I think it's located near the St. Jamestown.

Anyways, their annual report did mention a reno/expansion project is in the works.

www.caseyhouse.com/local/...6final.pdf

I believe the Dr. Peter Centre in Vancouver had garnered some attention a few years ago; it was profiled in Canadian Architect.

AoD

They also own the property on the southeast corner of Isabella and Jarvis.

I believe it is an infill between two buildings. They've moved on from offering only palliative care - which was the case when my friend Alex Wong was there in 1994 - to a much expanded role.

There was something going on there when I went by the other day. I noticed walkthrough scaffolding had been built along Isabella, and it looked like there had been some work done on the house itself

Observer Walt:

Yes, they have been deleted - it's basically slander targeted towards a number of organizations/individuals.

AoD

Renderings.

79661675_7bf5c9d02f.jpg

casey.jpg

"Facility Redevelopment

As stated in Section One of this document, in 2005, Casey House identified the need for
updated physical facilities to ensure its ability to deliver current and future programming.
Casey House is committed to moving forward to achieve this goal. It will design and build
an updated facility, which incorporates the existing historic buildings in the Jarvis/Isabella
block. This new beautiful and home-like environment will provide Casey House with a
transformative setting to achieve its mission of providing health care that meets the needs
of people with HIV/AIDS. Hospice care that is currently provided at 9 Huntley will be
transferred to the new building. The long-term use of the 9 Huntley Street building is
undetermined at this time. This redevelopment project will also reflect Casey House’s
support for integration within Ontario’s health care system.

The proposal that Casey House submitted to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
reflects its commitment and dedication to proceed with this project in service to people
living with HIV/AIDS who require Casey House’s health care expertise. The proposed
occupancy date is the year 2010."

from http://www.caseyhouse.com/local/files/CH_Strat_Plan_2007.pdf

"Casey House Hospice at 9 Huntley St looking to expand its facility. It is proposed that the "Gray Lady" at the south east corner of Jarvis and Isabella be extended eastwards through what is now a parking lot. The extension will be three stories high and have underground parking if approved. The site is zoned for residential or office space. This project is still in the early planning stages and the UJNA has not yet begun regular contact with the Casey House to monitor developments."

http://www.ujna.ca/caseyhouse_dev.html
Upper Jarvis Neighbourhood Association

Last edited:
You stated......Observer Walt:

'Yes, they have been deleted - it's basically slander targeted towards a number of organizations/individuals.

AoD'

thanks for protecting us from hatred..... so sorry to hear such sentiments still exist..... has it ever occurred to the person who wrote the comments that maybe people with HIV are part of this forum community?

so sad.....

lovakitec:

thanks for protecting us from hatred..... so sorry to hear such sentiments still exist..... has it ever occurred to the person who wrote the comments that maybe people with HIV are part of this forum community?

Actually the comments aren't so much so hatred as misguided - since the complaints are basically about the organizations in question from a "user perspective", though still of a highly questionable nature.

AoD

Back