Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Bazis and Plaza's 1 Yorkville Condominiums Closer To Reality
ALSO

View Poll Results: Which transit plan do you prefer?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Transit City

63 77.78%
  • Ford City

18 22.22%
Page 525 of 578 FirstFirst ... 25425475515523524525526527535575 ... LastLast
Results 7,861 to 7,875 of 8657

Thread: Transit City Plan

1. Default

Comparing TC to St Clair is silly, and makes you sound silly.

It's only used by Kouvalis mouth-pieces so they can associate TC with the problems that came with that line's construction, and the perceived injustices done to automobile traffic on that street. It's meant to drum-up support from people who get angry over St Clair, but don't actually know anything about what happened there (and haven't been there since it was completed, if they ever had been in the first place.)

If you're going to compare any existing TTC streetcar to TC, at least use the Queensway segment of the 501. It's not a perfect comparison but it's a hell of a lot closer.

Why even bother responding to his posts? The fact he's is still equating LRT with the St. Clair revitalization project should be proof he'll post any BS to justify his pro-subway stance. He's been posting this nonsense everywhere.

3. Default

Comparing TC and St Clair isn't silly. The TTC does it. LRTistas do it. Yet if someone pro-subway does it there's ad hominem attacks galore. Get over it. LRT and streetcar are the same in every way except the number of stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Coruscanti Cognoscente View Post
    Comparing TC and St Clair isn't silly. The TTC does it. LRTistas do it. Yet if someone pro-subway does it there's ad hominem attacks galore. Get over it. LRT and streetcar are the same in every way except the number of stops.
    No, there're not, now get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coruscanti Cognoscente View Post
    Here is the first Google search of "St. Clair LRT" that I found on the TTC website - I am sure here are more. Search for "St. Clair LRT project" and you will find dozens of references.

http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pro..._Art/index.jsp

Similar thing with Spadina and Harbourfront.

After a few TC LRT lines are built and the St. Clair construction is a distant memory, I am sure that it will be renamed LRT.

Quote Originally Posted by BurlOak View Post
    After a few TC LRT lines are built and the St. Clair construction is a distant memory, I am sure that it will be renamed LRT.
    The plaque at Union Station at the Harbourfront platform calls it the Harbourfront LRT. It's the ceremonial plaque from the opening day.

Apparently it's been downgraded, who knew?

PS: I think that St. Clair is LRT the same way that the HOV lanes on Eglinton East are BRT. By some very loose definitions they are, but most people don't consider them as such. I'm just saying what the plaque says.
    Last edited by gweed123; 2012-Mar-12 at 21:43.

7. Default

St. Clair technically is LRT by defininition, and by a broader definition so is the mixed streetcar network. In order to be truly effective and to be called what many would consider LRT, our dedicated tramways need to have much higher signal priority than what already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpmk View Post
    They probably would have duplicated St. Clair's stupid design flaw of having the left turn signal for cars appear before the green light for streetcars. Transit City = St. Clair streetcar with modern rolling stock.
    This is not a stupid design flaw, but a requirement of the Roads department. The Roads department is concerned that if the through phase precedes the left-turn phase, then pedestrians who have not finished crossing during the through phase could be hit by left-turning cars rushing to complete the turn. Therefore, they require the left-turn phase to precede the through phase.

You can question the validity of such reasoning, but the streetcar planners had no choice in the matter.

Technically a subway is an underground passage and a sandwich restaurant chain. So maybe we can compare the Sheppard subway to the streetcar tunnel between Union and Queens Quay, the pedestrian tunnel between Union and Wellington that will be built for PATH, and 190 restaurants in Toronto. Subways litter the city... we are well served. Do we really need more?

Technically, any transit that runs on rails and can operate on-street is LRT. But functionally, such definition is not very useful as it is too broad.

I like Steve Munro's definition: "LRT is streetcar technology used in a rapid transit context, but with a minimum of the trappings of a subway line."

By that definition, St Clair / Spadina / Harbourfront are not LRT. Eglinton is LRT. Finch and Sheppard qualify as LRT, but just barely (not very rapid).
    Last edited by Rainforest; 2012-Mar-12 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    Technically, any transit that runs on rails and can operate on-street is LRT. But functionally, such definition is not very useful as it is too broad.

I like Steve Munro's definition: "LRT is streetcar technology used in a rapid transit context, but with a minimum of the trappings of a subway line."

By that definition, St Clair / Spadina / Harbourfront are not LRT. Eglinton is LRT. Finch and Sheppard qualify as LRT, but just barely (not very rapid).
    Where would Hamiltons LRT fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by BurlOak View Post
    Where would Hamiltons LRT fit in?
    I did not follow the design for Hamilton LRT. I would think that since it is going to be their trunk line, it should be reasonably fast.

13. Default

I find the irony that Rob Ford wants to put the Eglinton LRT underground yet calls it a Subway. For his convenience no doubt as the Eglinton LRT, even when underground, is not a HRT subway. It's an underground LRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge_Heights View Post
    I find the irony that Rob Ford wants to put the Eglinton LRT underground yet calls it a Subway. For his convenience no doubt as the Eglinton LRT, even when underground, is not a HRT subway. It's an underground LRT.
    Yet no one in the media ever brings that up to him

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpmk View Post
    I.

If a subway on Finch is built in the hydro corridor from Yonge to Highway 400 and then underground from Highway 400 to Humber College it will cost a lot less than $10 billion.
    I can't believe you are talking about a Finch subway being built when it never will be in the near future an anyways and thats being optimistic