Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Catching Up With TTC's Upcoming Downsview Park Station
ALSO

View Poll Results: Which transit plan do you prefer?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Transit City

    63 77.78%
  • Ford City

    18 22.22%
Page 476 of 578 FirstFirst ... 376426466474475476477478486526576 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,140 of 8657

Thread: Transit City Plan

  1. Default

    I question if that will happen, given that they are now proposing studying a western extension of the Sheppard subway instead of an eastern extension. In the long run, I think Sheppard will go west and east. That would make the FWLRT kind of a stub.


  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BMO View Post
    Interesting response from my councillor:
    Wait a minute, I thought council voted yesterday for LRT on Finch West in addition to the Eglinton Crosstown, plus a panel for Sheppard? So what is going on with Finch?

  3. #7128

    Default

    Rob Ford and his brother are on CP24 now.

  4. #7129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
    Wait a minute, I thought council voted yesterday for LRT on Finch West in addition to the Eglinton Crosstown, plus a panel for Sheppard? So what is going on with Finch?
    I do not know what Councillor Pasternak answered in that letter. He seemed to say close to the opposite of what I thought happened yesterday. Maybe he doesn't want to tell his constituents that there is no Finch West subway.

    ...................Finch West............Eglinton................Sheppard East
    Vote...............LRT......................at-grade...............study by pro LRT experts
    Councillor.........no mention.............elevated..............subway

  5. #7130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
    Wait a minute, I thought council voted yesterday for LRT on Finch West in addition to the Eglinton Crosstown, plus a panel for Sheppard? So what is going on with Finch?
    yes there will be a panel who will decide on sheppard. this counciller is simply hiding the truth that there may be at grade lrt once the report comes in.

  6. #7131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sixrings View Post
    yes there will be a panel who will decide on sheppard. this counciller is simply hiding the truth that there may be at grade lrt once the report comes in.
    I think they moved the controversial Sheppard corridor to a separate panel, so that it does not affect the rest of LRT projects.

  7. #7132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kEiThZ View Post
    I question if that will happen, given that they are now proposing studying a western extension of the Sheppard subway instead of an eastern extension. In the long run, I think Sheppard will go west and east. That would make the FWLRT kind of a stub.
    Western extension of Sheppard subway is a very long-term project; extension of Finch LRT from Keele to Yonge can happen well before that.

    Btw, both lines can co-exist.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kEiThZ View Post
    I question if that will happen, given that they are now proposing studying a western extension of the Sheppard subway instead of an eastern extension. In the long run, I think Sheppard will go west and east. That would make the FWLRT kind of a stub.
    However the stub will feed people onto Spadina, and not Yonge, which is good news. As well, the current planned section of Finch West does not conflict with any future Sheppard extension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    Btw, both lines can co-exist.
    agreed.

  9. #7134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurlOak View Post
    My understanding is that anything it the "to be studied" list was just used to get a few votes and there is no real intention of acting on any of it. Some of them were in phase 2 or 3 anyways and the studying does not really change anything as they will get to it when funding becomes available.
    The last two items (DRL, and the extension of Eglinton to the airport) are mentioned there for a good reason. They are not funded now, but both are high-visibility projects, and it is necessary to keep reminding about them to get them funded eventually.

  10. #7135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    Western extension of Sheppard subway is a very long-term project; extension of Finch LRT from Keele to Yonge can happen well before that.

    Btw, both lines can co-exist.
    I do not think they decided on a route for the Finch East (east of Finch West station). Would it run in the median, would it tunnel under Yonge for a short stretch, would it somehow go up to the hydro corridor to cross Yonge?

  11. #7136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerMaster View Post
    Rob Ford and his brother are on CP24 now.
    I caught the last few minutes of it,

    They will be doing one of their community walks this Saturday at the Agincourt Mall (Kennedy and Sheppard), not surprising on the location. No doubt they will be claiming a plethora of taxpayers came up to them and demanded subways.

  12. #7137

    Default

    I don't seem to recall any mention in the vote about elevating the DM to Kennedy section although it would make great sense as it is a commercial/industrial area and would save massive amounts of money and be far quicker and less disruptive to build.
    I could see Ford maybe agreeing to that which is still grade separated rapid transit and due to this it will also have far, far lower operating costs as it will be able to be automated.

  13. #7138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
    I don't seem to recall any mention in the vote about elevating the DM to Kennedy section ...
    There wasn't. It might be cheaper than subway, but it's a lot more expensive than putting it in the centre of the street. So it wouldn't create the $ savings necessary to fund the other 3 projects.

    Quote Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
    I could see Ford maybe agreeing to that which is still grade separated rapid transit and due to this it will also have far, far lower operating costs as it will be able to be automated.
    Does it matter what he agrees to? He has no further input on the matter.

  14. #7139
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ottawa (formerly Downtown Toronto)
    Posts
    5,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltz View Post
    I caught the last few minutes of it,

    They will be doing one of their community walks this Saturday at the Agincourt Mall (Kennedy and Sheppard), not surprising on the location. No doubt they will be claiming a plethora of taxpayers came up to them and demanded subways.
    Maybe some people should go up there and demand the opposite. Just a thought .

  15. #7140
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ottawa (formerly Downtown Toronto)
    Posts
    5,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    There wasn't. It might be cheaper than subway, but it's a lot more expensive than putting it in the centre of the street. So it wouldn't create the $ savings necessary to fund the other 3 projects.
    I find it interesting that they specified "surface" for Eglinton East, but not "at-grade". I wonder if this was Metrolinx' way of getting the odd bit of grade separation in on Eglinton East. Or it may just be an oversight from an ill-informed staffer in Stintz's office.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •