Toronto 400 Wellington West | 38m | 12s | Sorbara | SMV

cabeman

Member Bio
Reaction score
... from the 500 Wellington West thread

Today I walked by 500 Wellington West where two workers were arguing as they erected a banner for a new Freed Development. It is to be 8 storeys with full or half floor units ranging from $1.5 M to $5 M. The design reminded me somewhat of the cubey thing proposed for College Street. The site is currently occupied by a 2-storey light industrial building of zero architectural merit. Further down the street there is a Coming Soon sign for 400 Wellington Street West with a registration address www.400wellington.com

Go west downtown!

Aerial view and photos (one recent, two from last summer)

I didn't notice it when I walked by this week, but when I look at the two photos from last summer it's apparent that they demolished the small 1 storey garage that had been on site.

400WellingtonStW.jpg

400WellingtonStW2.jpg

400WellingtonStW3.jpg

400WellingtonStW4.jpg

Thanks cabeman for posting the photos of this and 500. Pity about that little garage. It possessed some charm.

Today I walked by 500 Wellington West where two workers were arguing as they erected a banner for a new Freed Development. It is to be 8 storeys with full or half floor units ranging from $1.5 M to $5 M. The design reminded me somewhat of the cubey thing proposed for College Street. The site is currently occupied by a 2-storey light industrial building of zero architectural merit. Further down the street there is a Coming Soon sign for 400 Wellington Street West with a registration address www.400wellington.com

They tore down (I'm still surprised they did it) a rather lovely old garage for 400 Wellington. It was an extension of the same building that Brassai is in (had great details). It's a shame that kind of thing is still allowed to happen. It could have been incorporated into the building in a charming way, though that would have taken imagination (and what developer has any of that to spare?)

Thanks cabeman for posting the photos of this and 500. Pity about that little garage. It possessed some charm.

I wouldn't fret too much about the garage. It had to make room for a new laneway on the north side between the new building and Brasaii. There is also retail/commercial along the entire west side of the new building along the "animated alleyway" towards King Street W. There is also a nice little court on Wellington, more to the south/east side of the site. I think the proposed building is a perfect fit for the space and a good site plan.

People drive down the alley and disappear into the warehouse. Coming to a theatre near you.

A haunted alley that materializes randomly throughout the city, swallowing up hapless short-cutters? The tagline could be "BEWARE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED" ? :D

Oh yeah, *that* thing. I think when somebody referred to it being Decoish, I thought it was something else...

^Maybe because it reminds you of the Mcgill/Wellington West warehouse district where new condos/lofts are wrapped around old warehouses? Yeah the massing is similar to that area of Mtl but the driveway and setbacks are gross:(

Which Wellington St do you prefer? Montreal or Toronto?

Back