Toronto 500 Wellington West | ?m | 10s | Freed | Core Architects

jaborandi

Member Bio
Reaction score
Today I walked by 500 Wellington West where two workers were arguing as they erected a banner for a new Freed Development. It is to be 8 storeys with full or half floor units ranging from $1.5 M to $5 M. The design reminded me somewhat of the cubey thing proposed for College Street. The site is currently occupied by a 2-storey light industrial building of zero architectural merit. Further down the street there is a Coming Soon sign for 400 Wellington Street West with a registration address www.400wellington.com

Go west downtown!

Today I walked by 500 Wellington West where two workers were arguing as they erected a banner for a new Freed Development. It is to be 8 storeys with full or half floor units ranging from $1.5 M to $5 M. The design reminded me somewhat of the cubey thing proposed for College Street. The site is currently occupied by a 2-storey light industrial building of zero architectural merit. Further down the street there is a Coming Soon sign for 400 Wellington Street West with a registration address www.400wellington.com

Go west downtown!

hmmm...ironically that 2 storey building of zero architectural merit is occupied by Quadrangle Architects...not particularily known as architects of merit.
I wonder if the parking lot next door is part of the site.

I believe that Quadrangle is further down the street closer to 400. I can't recall a parking lot next to 500.

my mistake...I thought you were referring to 400 Wellington west...Quadrangle is at 380. Anyway, good to see that lot disappearing. If only they would do something about that Globe & Mail mess on the south side of the street.

... aerial image and photos

500WellingtonStW.jpg

500WellingtonStW1.jpg

500WellingtonStW2.jpg

500WellingtonStW3.jpg

Wow. That looks quite fabulous, actually.There are some very handsome old buildings on this stretch--and this site does not contain one of them!

Wellington between Bathurst and Spadina definitely has huge potential. As I recall the long-term plan by the City involves some large-scale streetscaping, and getting rid of the off-sidewalk parking where it remains. But who knows when that will happen...

Fantastic design! It does look like the old Cube or Blox loft that was destined for somewhere along College or Queen I believe.

Agree that it has potential but the south side industrial use puts a very firm lid on the demand for the area. Until that eyesore is removed the street will remain significantly less desirable from a residential perspective.

Freed is taking on A LOT of land inventory as we pass the apex of the condo boom. Wouldn't want to be his money partner in 2009...

my mistake...I thought you were referring to 400 Wellington west...Quadrangle is at 380. Anyway, good to see that lot disappearing. If only they would do something about that Globe & Mail mess on the south side of the street.

The G&M's property is part of a super-parcel that the Thompson family owns that supposedly extends from Spadina all the way to Draper. There's been rumblings about moving the whole shebang to Agincourt (CTV), but it would act as a serious handicap to attracting new staff (in the same way the Post struggles to convince people that it's worth the drive to Don Mills).

I expect that once CityPlace is filled in, front street extended, and some provision put in place for covering the railway lands, the Globe and Mail will be given the bum's rush and in its place will rise a whole spate of condos.

There's been rumblings about moving the whole shebang to Agincourt

I know nothing of that but have heard that re-development of the site has advanced well beyond rumblings

The G&M's property is part of a super-parcel that the Thompson family owns that supposedly extends from Spadina all the way to Draper. There's been rumblings about moving the whole shebang to Agincourt (CTV), but it would act as a serious handicap to attracting new staff (in the same way the Post struggles to convince people that it's worth the drive to Don Mills).
The opposite is perhaps more likely...that being that CTV GlobeMeida will relocate all of it's Toronto-area properties into one or two buildings downtown, and allow Agincourt to go the way of development. The CHUM-City building appears to be one such new downtown "campus" for them although I'm not sure where they will put another (along the waterfront maybe perhaps).

Back