News   Mar 28, 2024
 390     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 715     0 

Downtown, Midtown and Uptown

It's all relative depending on history. If you go by old City of Toronto boundaries/standards... Yonge/Bloor is still part of downtown; Yonge/St.Clair cluster - midtown; Yonge/Eg - uptown. But I suppose it depends on how far back you go. After all the "Uptown Theatre" was at Yonge and Bloor.

These days I consider Yonge and Bloor downtown, Yonge and St Clair to Yonge and Lawrence midtown and NYCC uptown.

Midtown is Yonge and Eg

Uptown - Yonge and Bloor

soooooooo..no concensus.

But Yonge and Eg is 2-1/2 miles North of Bloor. First you have downtown, then midtown, then uptown. 100 years ago Yonge and Bloor was uptown, that's probably where the theatre gots it's name.
Besides, Uptown, Midtown - that's more of a NYC classification. I rarely hear people use those terms. It's either downtown for everything between Bathurst - Don River and south of Bloor, or they just give the intersection, which is even more precise.

I guess the Uptown and Minto Midtown condos seal the deal as far as the 'midtown vs uptown' labels go, but, yeah, people mainly just use the intersections, Yonge & _____.

These days I consider Yonge and Bloor downtown, Yonge and St Clair to Yonge and Lawrence midtown and NYCC uptown.

North York already has a downtown and an uptown, so Yonge & Sheppard would be downtown uptown while Yonge & Finch would be uptown uptown.

But Yonge and Eg is 2-1/2 miles North of Bloor. First you have downtown, then midtown, then uptown. 100 years ago Yonge and Bloor was uptown, that's probably where the theatre gots it's name.
Besides, Uptown, Midtown - that's more of a NYC classification. I rarely hear people use those terms. It's either downtown for everything between Bathurst - Don River and south of Bloor, or they just give the intersection, which is even more precise.

There was the Midtown theatre at Bloor & Bathurst, it's now Lee's Palace/Dance Cave. Go figure.

For 2 or so years....at least 100 "real" estate experts (and twice as many internet experts) pronounced this Pemberton Uptown thing... dead, dead, dead... but apparently they have the money to dig a decent grave to bury the project.

Otherwise, they may be building a building. Oh oh.

At the rate they are going; I think the people who put down a deposit will have to leave this in their wills to their great-great grandchildren. Assuming global warming won't have turned southern Ontario into a desert by then!

There was the Midtown theatre at Bloor & Bathurst, it's now Lee's Palace/Dance Cave. Go figure.

Oh! Thanks for the info. I've been going to Lee's Palace and the Dance Cave for over 20 years! Lee's was one of the first bars to open on a sunday night! And the Dance Cave still plays 80's music like it did in the 80's.
At least the Bloor Cinema across the road is still operating as a theatre. I believe it's the last theatre to have a balcony. The Metro theatre has seen better days though!

They play 97.3 radio station here at work.. and before or after commerical breaks they always say: "coming to you from Midtown Toronto at Yonge and St. Clair"

I guess it is a NYC terminology...but Toronto is getting so big we need to use some of their(NYC) reference markers now....

All of Yonge Street is basically downtown Toronto.

There is an old newspaper article posted at the Bloor Cinema about the Midtown Theatre from 1941. Appropriately it mentions it is in the city's "midtown district."

Midtown when used usually seems to refer to the area of the Old City around St. Clair between Bathurst and Bayview. It can go as far south as Bloor, so sometimes it includes the Annex and Yorkville, sometimes not. Uptown is sometimes interchangable with Midtown, and sometimes North Toronto.

Occassionally, but not often anymore, you'll hear Midtown meaning north of College and Downtown south of College (this seems more Manhattan-ish). I personally think of it as follows:

Downtown - south of Bloor, Bathurst to Don River
Midtown or Uptown (call it what you like) - Bloor to Beltline, Bathurst-Bayview (roughly)
North Toronto - the old town annexed to Toronto in 1912
West end - old city west of Bathurst, this could also be subdivided into west end proper and northwest
East end - old city east of the Don

Downtown- anything south of Dundas from Parliament to Dufferin

Midtown- Bloor to St Clair around Yonge

Uptown- Eglinton/Yonge and vicinity

I rarely if ever hear the term Uptown used to describe any part of Toronto. Most people only use downtown and midtown in this city.

Though some of you will flat out disagree, my definition of downtown includes the contiguous extent of the inner city that contains an exceptionally high concentration of both tourists and homeless people. Midtown on the other hand refers to the area north of downtown that is almost as urban as downtown, but whose main function is to serve the local neighbourhoods along Yonge St.

Downtown starts at the lake, and reaches as far north as Davenport. It starts a little bit west of Spadina, and reaches as far east as about the Don River. Midtown starts at Davenport, ends south of Hogg's Hollow, and more or less exists between Avenue Road and Mt. Pleasant.

Back