2.4K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     3 

streetcar cobblestones

Prometheus The Supremo

►Member №41+⅜◄
Member Bio
Reaction score
what happened to all the cobblestones that we used for paving stones along toronto streetcar tracks long ago? what did they do with them when they ripped them out?

During renos at my friends' house in north BWV / West Junction, they discovered massive amounts under an old garage. Many of their neighbours also reported similar findings. Now my friends' backyard has a beautiful cobblestone patio.

I wonder how they last up to the rattling of the tracks over time. Something like this should be used on the Queens Quay redo.

I wonder how they last up to the rattling of the tracks over time. Something like this should be used on the Queens Quay redo.

I think this is exactly why you won't see it used. The TTC has been working towards perfecting a method to built streetcar tracks which are more quiet and long lasting. The current Queens Quay line was the last to be built the old way, and the tracks rebuilt since have used the new method. Key to the method if I recall correctly was a rubber track liner and sealing the concrete so no water could get in and allow frost to mess things up.

I think the best we will get is cobble-stone stamped concrete like we see along Spadina....at least some parts of Spadina.

For contrast, I would love to see the Queens Quay tracks on a pinkish/red tinged concrete, with the grey cobblestones making up the pedestrian and bike path beside it.

Some sections were never ripped out. They were resurfacing Davenport at its western end this year, and the old pavement was stripped to the cobblestone and track. It wasn't removed, and the new asphalt was rolled onto it. The unevenness of the base may encourage cracking in the future. I suspect other roads are like this as well.

hey were resurfacing Davenport at its western end this year, and the old pavement was stripped to the cobblestone and track.

I recall the same thing on Danforth in the early spring. It was neat driving along Danforth, and seeing streetcar tracks in the middle of the road.

Back