Toronto Fashion House | ?m | 12s | Freed | Core Architects

570 King St W (Toronto Silver Plate Building)

560 and 570 King W have been mentioned in the 455 Adelaide W discussion so I thought I'd create new threads for both.

As far as I know 570 King W has been approved by the City and made its way through an OMB challenge.

Not sure who the developer is.

Staff Report:

http://www.urbandb.com/canada/ontar...toronto_city_hall_staff_report_2006_04_23.pdf

Small rendering on this page:

http://www.wellingtonplace.org/developments/

570KingStW.jpg

570KingStW1.jpg

570KingStW2.jpg

570KingStW3.jpg

570KingStW4.jpg

570KingStW5.jpg

570KingStW6.jpg

570KingStW7.jpg

From the Staff Report ...

570KingStW10.jpg

570KingStW9.jpg

570KingStW8.jpg

570KingStW11.jpg

This proposed redevelopment has been mentioned in the 455 Adelaide W discussion so I thought I'd start a new thread for it (along with 570 King St W).

Maestro mentioned in the 455 Adelaide thread that a proposal for an 11 storey, 101 unit building was on the Committee of Adjustment agenda back in July of this year.

560KingStW.jpg

560KingStW1.jpg

560KingStW2.jpg

560KingStW3.jpg

560KingStW4.jpg

Surprised someone would try to build a hi-rise on a former gas station site. I certainly wouldn't want to live there...

/\ Yep, because they are going to put that into the advertising. In fact, I heard the sales center is going into the old shack that they use for the cash register!

/\ Yep, because they are going to put that into the advertising. In fact, I heard the sales center is going into the old shack that they use for the cash register!

I guess you're right. Given that the buyers are most likely not going to be Toronto residents anyway the fact that the site was previously operated as a service station for 50 years shouldn't matter much to them!

Obviously there are many examples of contaminated sites around the city/province that have been remediated (not saying this site is contaminated, I have no knowledge of it whatsoever) but personally I'd err on the side of caution and avoid even the possibility of contaminants. With the rainbow of choices in virtually every area of the city and every price point why chance it?

A cleverly worded retort. I do agree though Investor, the decision to put something here is definitely odd. Perhaps the land was offered as a Blue-Light special like the ones at K-mart! Buy one plot get get one 50% off!

I can't believe they're proposing to keep that single-storey protrusion on the front of the heritage building. Was restoration out of the question?

As for the rest of it... what an unsightly blob of condominium!

Agreed! This thing looms over that heritage building like....well....something that looms over a heritage building I guess...

I'm at a loss for words - this thing, including the single story 'heritage awning' at the front is a sight for sore eyes. It could even be Worse than most of the junk which is currently residing on this land. What I can't understand is where does the city find these firms? Moreover, where do the firms find such second-rate attemptitechs while other cities (predominantly European I will admit) push for more innovative designs. Theres the essence of your 'Toronto Style' - crappy buildings attached to slightly older crappy buildings ...sigh

I can't believe they're proposing to keep that single-storey protrusion on the front of the heritage building. Was restoration out of the question?

As for the rest of it... what an unsightly blob of condominium!

My understanding was that the majority of the single story addition at the front was being removed, the main entrance restored and that the City was excited about the restoration of the original features of the building (the three windows at the top of the south elevation and the steeple).

If they do it right, could be fantastic!

Great post, cabeman! You really summarized all the information well.

I really have to reserve judgement on this one. I suppose that if they restore the building well (a big if), it could be a success. Otherwise...I guess it's infill.

What's the problem with the fact that it was a gas station? The site will have to be remediated if there's contamination, and besides, it's not like people will be living in a basement apartment here with toxins leaking in from the soil - it'll likely be a mid-to-highrise.

Isn't there some rule about leaving former gas station lots vacant for 20 years, or is that only if the soil test comes back indicating toxins have seeped into the ground?

Back