Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread
Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens
60 Carlton St, Toronto
Developer: Ryerson University, Loblaw Companies

Login to
post and
upload photos
Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Maple Leaf Gardens - Loblaws Superstore/Ryerson Rink

1. Default

Mods: apologies if this getting off-topic. Move it to the appropriate thread if you feel necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Automation Gallery View Post
    Come-on...You make it look so sweet and yet so sad of a loss..

want to demolish as opposed to
    reusing a building that probably has very few other potential uses
    The plan isn't to reuse it, though. The fact is that spaces like this one look suitable for a grocery store. Facade preservation means the loss of heritage spaces like this 1930s panelled staircase with exquisite railings. The connection to the railway will probably no longer be apparent, which will be a loss as railway freight in downtown becomes an ever distant memory. Numerous warehouse conversion projects in this city have shown these spaces to be versatile.

that Art Deco warehouse on Bathurst as opposed to the Once a shining triumph of art-deco design, the decaying building that sits at the corner of Bathurst Street
    It's no triumph of design but the architecture is commendable. The owner has no one but themselves to account for any present decay. One can't sympathize for them.

since it's part of their own heritage as a company as opposed to preserve the heritage façades and permit the development of retail floor space including a Loblaws food store and office uses.
    The entire structure is a part of their heritage and the city's.

I see where youre coming from.. but its time for this development to move on..
    Of course, but now's the time to determine the direction to move in, and one is more advantageous. I believe there's not much stopping one of the richest corporations in the country from moving in the direction of preservation and reuse but their own narrow interests. It's only to them that it has few uses because as a chain grocer, they just don't do many things besides selling food. But they can buy or lease whatever property they want. I can't make apologies for them and insist the record is set straight before any damage happens, not twenty years when it's too late.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by androiduk View Post
    If they're not putting it back, I hope they're not just junking it?? Can you imagine if they put up that sign for auction, it could pull in big bucks from a major collector!

A reminder, or for those who haven't seen the rendering -

“Our roads are not here for automobiles. Our roads are here for people to get around.” - Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City - July 10, 2012

Original photographic images posted on this forum by dt_toronto_geek are not for publication, display or dissemination of any kind except on the Urban Toronto discussion board, altered or otherwise, without expressed written permission from the owner.

They should have kept the marquee.. I know it isn't the original, but it's the name of the freaken building..

Does anyone know if Ryerson is renaming it? Or calling the building Maple Leaf Gardens Athletic Centre or something?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    They should have kept the marquee.. I know it isn't the original, but it's the name of the freaken building..

Does anyone know if Ryerson is renaming it? Or calling the building Maple Leaf Gardens Athletic Centre or something?
    Hahaha..i dont think Harold Ballard's old digs mean much anymore.

The marquee going back as early as 1979. Note the messy Toronto sidewalks, some things never change.

“Our roads are not here for automobiles. Our roads are here for people to get around.” - Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City - July 10, 2012

Original photographic images posted on this forum by dt_toronto_geek are not for publication, display or dissemination of any kind except on the Urban Toronto discussion board, altered or otherwise, without expressed written permission from the owner.

Thanks for posting that picture. My gawd, I can't believe the difference on the other side of Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianNational View Post
    Thanks for posting that picture. My gawd, I can't believe the difference on the other side of Carlton.
    I'm actually behind the camera in that shot, and those are two of my friends the day we saw Abba. I paid money to see The Village People there too! Anyway, the marquee was different in the late '70's.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dt_toronto_geek View Post
    I'm actually behind the camera in that shot, and those are two of my friends the day we saw Abba. I paid money to see The Village People there too! Anyway, the marquee was different in the late '70's.
    http://ballparks.phanfare.com/2414177#imageID=38713675

(scroll down) Dated May 1987.

The current marquee is rather new. I don't mind it being taken down and replaced as long as the new one is for 'Maple Leaf Gardens', not 'Ryerson University.' The marquee in the render is rather disgusting.

10. Default

I trekked downtown on thursday when I found out about the sign, hoping to maybe pick up a souvenir or two if the sign was indeed going to be binned. Workers told me almost everything was going to be saved for eventual auction.

^ I was thinking they might do that. I think the sign is too big as a whole to go anywhere else but I can see them selling individual letters at auction.

Lots of work going on around the inside perimeter of the building. You can see one of the recently installed escalators - top centre.

13. Default

http://www.ryerson.ca/ryersonbuilds/.../1_may2011.jpg

I was there last night, it appears they've taken down some of or all of the catwalks if you look at this picture and compare to others. There used to be a stairwell in the dome on the north side, it is now gone. I think that mechanical room above the scoreclock will be coming down next. You can see it clear as day from street level still and last night they appeared to be cutting away from it..

Also interesting, the north west corner of the building is now open to let in light from the outside (used to be boxed in corner columns)..

14. Default

New Gardens will mix past with present

The concrete pad is poured, the press gondola removed and the 80-year-old walls exposed to reveal a cross-section of red and blue paint, support beams and yellow brinks - the map of a building that housed hockey history.

For the better part of two years, architects and engineers have worked to transform Maple Leaf Gardens, tucking a new rink in its rafters and an athletic centre, grocery store and parking garage below.

More.....http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...4/?from=sec431

Snapped a few quick pics earlier today.

Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast