Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

I hate it.

The intersection has so much potential.

However, these plans are the furthest thing from being exciting, vibrant, urban, cosmopolitan or innovate imo.

Louroz

I look at those plans and it makes me wonder why 1988 has returned.

And please get rid of the electonic billboards. The one that is presently at the corner is tacky and distracting. Leave the flash for Yonge and Dundas and allow the area to have a more subduded and mature urban feel.

And it does not look like there will be retail along the north side of Eglinton (just a blank wall of glass and precast or whatever). Let's hope the city steps in and fixes that oversite.

The previous owners of the building tried to convert the square a few years ago into what they called the “crystal†box. The proposal was architecturally superior to this one and included retail, a sculpture garden and an open square covered by an all glass building. The local nimby’s and the city prevented the project from happening so chances of this going ahead are virtually none.

it strikes me that all that glass will match up nicely in scale with the glass on the south side of Eglinton (Bank of Montreal I believe). I was fine with this building as it was. The best thing they can do to revitalize this intersection is get rid of that eyesore of the old TTC bus station!!! Cant come soon enough....

Don't like it much at all, it seems very 80's Po-Mo to me :confused:

Then again what is there now is a rather drab and unremarkable looking concrete sculpture court with rather drab and unremarkable looking sculptures.

I have to agree.. this is quite boring and bland.. all they did was take a boring concrete facade before and replaced it with a boring glass facade... monotonous, non-exciting, and what's with the circular entrance? it reminds me of 90s shopping centre refits.

what would it take to take the whole thing down?

Looks like this proposal is receiving little support from the urban community.

I agree with all above comments - especially the one comparing the proposal to a 90's shopping center retrofit - classy! This does not meet the street well enough to be truly engaging and presents even less as a piece of architecture.

So its not functional and it looks terrible...great!

Since Toronto has hopped on the 'best intersection in the world' bandwagon, how about promoting Y/E as the 'vibrant center' of uptown, to use developer jargon. Save the square for a public use space (how much is this bad boy actually utilized throughout the year?) (also perhaps eliminate the podium and bring it down to street level? - don't know how plausible this might be) and redevelop the lot presently containing the bus shelters. The last thing we need here is the silly, low-rise, post-modern, suburban grade aesthetic nightmare contained in these renderings.

Though 3D may criticize me for getting a little too drunk on the Urban Toronto Whine;), this is too much to stay silent:eek:

The TTC I believe recently finalized their requirements for the site (as the developer will be building a new bus terminal underneath the building) and that will probably be forwarded out to developers for RFPs at one point or another... this is why the Y-E centre development is so pivotal -- it could help set a precedent for how the future bus terminal development will be designed.

And please get rid of the electonic billboards. The one that is presently at the corner is tacky and distracting. Leave the flash for Yonge and Dundas and allow the area to have a more subduded and mature urban feel.

Why? This is Young & Eligible. "Subdued and mature" is beside the point. It's *always* succeeded as a place of zipped-up midtown excitement. You want subdued and mature? Go to Yonge & Lawrence...

Oh yeah, speaking of Y-E, get a load of this

The good folks at RioCan need to submit this to the design review board...

Back