601     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Rick Mercer test drives made-in-Canada electric car

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Did you guys see Rick Mercer last night? He test drove the Zen Car, an electric car made in Canada, sold mostly in the USA. Check out the clip under the Zen Car heading at http://www.cbc.ca/mercerreport/#597178200

Here's the company's website http://zenncars.com/

I didn't know about this company until I saw it on Mercer.

I really hope that the Ontario Government makes this thing street legal. It's unfortunate that only BC has approved these babies so far. And it's a helluva a lot cheaper than those Smart Cars which seem to go for a forunte in comparison (well, the "smarter" version or the smart car).

Btw, Baird was never a reform party MP.

Max 25 p/hr ??

The hybrid vehicles have a better chance at becoming fully electric within the next 5 to 10 years while maintaing the performance people expect from a car today.

There already were fully electric cars made by GM for the California market, until the automakers and oil companies conspired to change the zero emission regulations.

I really hope that the Ontario Government makes this thing street legal. It's unfortunate that only BC has approved these babies so far. And it's a helluva a lot cheaper than those Smart Cars which seem to go for a forunte in comparison (well, the "smarter" version or the smart car).

Btw, Baird was never a reform party MP.

I still refer to the conservative party as the Reform Party, I'll never give Stephen Harper the distinction of being a true blue conservative.

Max 25 p/hr ??

The hybrid vehicles have a better chance at becoming fully electric within the next 5 to 10 years while maintaing the performance people expect from a car today.

As i understand, the 40 kph limit is through a limiter.

"And while the car can theoretically go faster, it tops out at 25 mph, in keeping with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations for this type of car."

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9770580-7.html

There already were fully electric cars made by GM for the California market, until the automakers and oil companies conspired to change the zero emission regulations.

Actually, electric cars date back to the origins of automobiles. One can only imagine what would be had some effort been expended in developing automotive battery technology a few decades back.

I remember reading about this company in the paper a few months ago. If I recall correctly McGuinty wanted to allow them to sell their cars, but was hinting they would have to move their production facility to Ontario first.

Actually, electric cars date back to the origins of automobiles. One can only imagine what would be had some effort been expended in developing automotive battery technology a few decades back.
All cars, expect steam powered ones, are electric. Without electricity, you'd have no way to generate a combustion spark.

All cars, expect steam powered ones, are electric. Without electricity, you'd have no way to generate a combustion spark.

Okay, to be more precise, there were automobiles that required no fuel to combust.

How's that?

Rick Mercer is brilliant as always.

Kudos to him for bringing some mainstream media attention to this company.

And as I mentioned ages ago in another thread, I highly recommend watching the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car".

For the likes of me, I have never seen a car (because we are talking about the cars - the physically separate vehicles - themselves, are we not?) that have come equipped with coal-fired power plants, hydro dams or nuclear stations or the like.

To be clear, I stated that there were electric (battery-powered) cars that date back to the early era of automobiles. These cars did not require combustion. Should one (the car itself) have been powered up by electricity sourced from hydro, one can presume little or no combustion, can we not? Or are we going to backtrack and include all the combustion sources used in all the industrial processes necessary to the construction of the hydro dam in the first place?

Now is that enough splitting hairs for you?

Back