441     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 382     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 731     0 

CityPlace

B

buildup

We've often debated whether Cityplace will ultimately result in "towers in the park" of an urban neighborhood. Well, the test of a neighborhood is you can take a stroll in one.

So with around 1/2 the buildings complete I'm going to park my car at the sales centre tomorrow on my day off and attempt a stroll in the 'hood.

I have a feeling its not going to go well. The sales centre is surrounded by some busy streets.

Anyway, I'll give it my best shot.

The good news is that Navy Wharf and Bremner will be getting a stoplight. I'm not sure if there are enough buildings complete to stroll around the neighbourhood. I don't think they have even finished the landscaping between HVE and Lakeshore yet. Walking up Spadina is much nicer than it used to be. The same is true with Front St. That huge entrance to HVE was a mistake though in my opinion.

They also have a restaurant sports bar now though I'm not sure of the name. I think it may be to soon to go for a stroll and come up with a fair assessment.

^ that bar is St.Louies (2nd toronto location) ... amazing wings!!

Actually they have about 20 locations of which about 5 or 6 are in Toronto. And yes, while not the biggest wings, they are very good.

There is also a coffee shop called Spot Coffee... which is actually kind of like a restaurant in that they sell full breakfasts, lunches etc. Good prices on their meals, expensive for a pastry. BUT, they do sell Ace Bakery bread... yum yum. There is free WiFi there... comfy chais/sofas, but the coffee is....not the best.
Oh, and Orange Julius/Dairy Queen is now open too, right beside the daycare entrance.
Once Signature (or whatever they will eventually call it) is built, along with the grocery store in the base of Neo/Montage, the intersection of Bremner and Spadina is going to be a VERY different place. I think we will all be pleasantly surprized.

Optima's base is poorly incorporated but the rest ain't bad

Anybody know when Coupland's garden will start? I think the whole area will look nicer when that is finished.

Something lacking in this city (for many proximity and convenience is key) are jogging routes with comfortable surfaces, interesting features, no car traffic.

If a great jogging route were planned through Cityplace I think it would get great usage. In turn it would encourage other uses. Some people are early morning joggers, others prefer after work.

Is such a route envisaged? How could the major roads slicing through the site be handled? How would the route be made to be intesting.

Thinking of Central Park...please don't focus on why Cityplace is not Central Park. Try to imagine how this might work.

There is also a coffee shop called Spot Coffee

Is Spot Coffee open?

Spot Coffee is a coffee shop that's very popular in the Buffalo area. They have a nice location on Chippewa Street in downtown Buffalo which was fairly packed on my only visit to it one evening a few years back. Glad to see that it's finally made its way to Toronto.

www.spotcoffee.com/

Something lacking in this city (for many proximity and convenience is key) are jogging routes with comfortable surfaces, interesting features, no car traffic.

If a great jogging route were planned through Cityplace I think it would get great usage. In turn it would encourage other uses. Some people are early morning joggers, others prefer after work.

Is such a route envisaged? How could the major roads slicing through the site be handled? How would the route be made to be intesting.

Thinking of Central Park...please don't focus on why Cityplace is not Central Park. Try to imagine how this might work.

Well, lake ontario park has plans for a good running trail i guess... tho far from the cityplace, unless a continuous waterfront becomes a reality and u can run all the way from cityplace down to waterfront and go east.

45899ce97e77f.jpg

...or then again, there's also the Toronto Viaduct idea (that one that decks over Gardiner) with the Skypath in its proposal(doesn't seem so bad now does it haha.. that one pretty much runs through cityplace and u can go east/west to.. well wherever it ends?

The place still seems like a gated community with no gates. Hopefully more retail will open up and further integrate the property into the city. The fact that it is completely residential with no office is going to make that prospect more difficult.

All rental highrises and condominiums are gated communities. You can't just walk in off the street and wander the halls.

Yes but the streets are open to the public. The more commercial spaces at ped level the better in terms of integrating the community into the city. I'm assuming that this is one of the reasons they are encouraging commercial businesses to move there.

the only non-main street so far is the section of Navy Wharf that leads into the HVE complex. Sure, it is only used by residents, but then again so are the thousands of side streets that line most of Toronto's major streets. CityPlace is centred around some major, or soon to be major streets. There is Front, Bremner, Spadina and soon to be Fort York Blvd. All of these are heavily used streets.

I think those who have made negative comments about the pedestrian friendliness of CityPlace have not likely spent much time there.

And yes, Spot Coffee is open - has been for about a month and a half.

Back