News   Mar 28, 2024
 432     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 378     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 730     0 

Do you like Toronto?

On a scale of 1 to 6 what do you rate Toronto vs. other urban cities?

• Up there with the best

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Not the best, but almost there

Votes: 50 34.5%
  • Not near the best, but still great

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • Decent, but in need of improvements

Votes: 23 15.9%
  • In need of dire improvements

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • We suck so bad

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters

poppajojo

Member Bio
Reaction score
What is your feelings of Toronto and its overall development in comparison to the other large urban cities of the world?

so...where's the poll?

and jsut for the record, i do love toronto.

Ideally, imo, voting should have a set period, and then closed before anyone feels obligated to reveal their individual opinions in a post. Otherwise the poll may be influenced unduely, and represent nothing useful in the way of a snapshot.

my mistake... I can set a a due date now and record the results in a post. What's a good amount of time to be given?

Ideally, imo, voting should have a set period, and then closed before anyone feels obligated to reveal their individual opinions in a post. Otherwise the poll may be influenced unduely, and represent nothing useful in the way of a snapshot.
Does it really matter? I think these polls are considered by most as mild amusement and not anything even close to being scientific.

I don't think we'll be seeing any representation from the "Oh man, another condo under construction? This city sucks so much!" crowd.

Does it really matter? I think these polls are considered by most as mild amusement and not anything even close to being scientific.

Now I get it. Why would anyone want to get a more accurate snapshot, when this approach is all we need to be entertained or amused?

We could, if we wanted, manually tally each post in a popular thread to take a measure of an issue or topic. But polls are one of the best ways of drawing out the anonymous voices, and focusing on the group lean, at any given point in time. That is of course only if it is effectively constructed.

Call it wishful thinking, but I believe with a slight twist, here-and-there, we could get a more geniune response, by taking the poll first, without commentary. The polling group targeted is - in a manner of speaking - a captive audience. A reasonable period for the poll could be one week, maybe three days. If the given topic is good enough, this approach might yield very different results than the ones we are accustomed to getting for similar type topics - heavily influenced by commentary in the same thread, at the same time as the polling. Not every issue that has been polled or will be polled would need to do this - it depends on the topic.

.​

Obviously this takes a very small clip of Torontonians and is in no way an precise or scientific analysis... but I don't see why it wouldn't get a general gist of the results of Toronto, which was my main and only point; this poll was to show that the majority would be somewhere around the middle ground.

I don't think we'll be seeing any representation from the "Oh man, another condo under construction? This city sucks so much!" crowd.

But we do see a lot of that here no? Torontonians or GTA'ers complaints about the direction of how certain or many condo constructions are being developed. Anyway this poll wasn't about our condo construction, it was about Toronto in all aspects.
I don't see how many people would dislike the city they inhabited in the first place, unless it wasn't by choice, but a lot of people seem to think so.

I like Toronto, too; but I selected "sucks so bad" just to support adma's description of "silly."

Every time I peek in and see the progression of votes, the 'Not near the best, but still great' continues to confuse me. I can understand its positional meaning, but the wording throws me off a bit. It seems to be a candidate to fold into another category, on either side of the available choices closest to it.

I'm confused by "we suck so bad". Suck being a negative and bad being a negative, does this become a double negative making it a positive? Perhaps we are bad at sucking? Or perhaps it is bad as in good or a suck as in Superbly Urban Cosmopolitan King... much like PHAT sounding like Fat but being good. Who's bad?

Back