Oakville The Shores | ?m | 10s | Fernbrook Homes | P + S / IBI

Wow!

Did nobody tell the developer that Oakville is all about Forgin' Georgian and Vic Schtick?

Quite impressive - it feels a bit like Teeple meets the Watergate Apts. I look forward to seeing more of this building. (Who is the architect?)

gorgeous building... somewhat reminiscent of a cruise ship. Toronto could use a handful of these on the eastern harbourfront! I prefer this to the proposal for Pier 27.... I think the curved lines work well for a waterfront location.

TheShoresCondo.jpg

This looks great! The Watergate comparison is pretty apt...

watergate-complex.jpg

But I'm confused is it in Bronte or Oakville harbor - they both have one

This is, unfortunately, looks like its in bronte's harbour, not Oakville's, so when your downtown, you wont see it. I live at the exact opposite end of town from this, so I probably won't be seeing it :(

This would look great across the river from downtown Oakville where all the other condos are going up like One Eleven Forsythe.

Great project though.

got an e-mail on this today, they plan on opening in 'early spring'...

This is, unfortunately, looks like its in bronte's harbour, not Oakville's, so when your downtown, you wont see it. I live at the exact opposite end of town from this, so I probably won't be seeing it :(

This would look great across the river from downtown Oakville where all the other condos are going up like One Eleven Forsythe.

Great project though.

Too bad it's not downtown, but architecture like this might make that park more of a destination. It looks like it can really make the space more interesting.

Sketchy Development

I'm worried about this development, which smacks of old-school blockbusting. This development will profoundly alter the character of Bronte, not so much because of the scale or design, which might be appropriate if the site was previously a parking lot, but rather because of the number of buildings that are going to be demolished from the original Bronte settlement. There are white board and batten buildings that are very definitive of Bronte, including a circa 1900 former inn with quite unique architectural features. Basically a block of buildings that are very much of an era -- even if few are 'architecturally significant' on their own -- is going to be erased. The Shores seems like an attempt to recreate the Port Credit development at the foot of Hurontario, except in this case the development isn't on a former brownfield. Oh well, once it's gone it's gone. At least the bobos who can afford their $500,000-plus condos will enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, development in the area, even large scale, has merit, but not the kind that obliterates a successful historic neighborhood.

This development will profoundly alter the character of Bronte, not so much because of the scale or design, which might be appropriate if the site was previously a parking lot, but rather because of the number of buildings that are going to be demolished from the original Bronte settlement.

I hate to open a can of worms here, but is there any chance some of the buildings in question could be saved? Relocated to an area around the harbour?

Glendella, the inn, will be relocated and preserved. So will a former art gallery. However, several other buildings, some quite old, are being demolished. I believe this development proposal has already been settled at the OMB and is now a done deal.

Back