Toronto Solaris at Metrogate Condos | ?m | 40s | Tridel | Graziani + Corazza COMPLETE

A

Archivistower

There's a preview ad in the Condo Guide for this project, at Kennedy & the 401. It must be 2055 Kennedy Road, six towers at 37 / 35 / 33 / 25 / 20 / 20, but I thought that was a Canderel/Stoneridge application.

Final Report

I remember seeing the report. Nice to see that the Delta Toronto East Hotel will be joined by this cluster of towers. I don't know if it would be easy to sell residential units in that area... with the CP tracks leading to the CP Toronto Yards on the north side, the CN/GO Stouffville Line to the east, and a future Sheppard Subway extension, it would be pretty hard to find any peace and quiet there.

Random thoughts:

20 and 10 storey office buildings are going up here? Seriously, why don't they put them up in STC? Agincourt, not the regional mall one interchange over, was always the logical choice to become a 'downtown' and this project just reinforces that idea. Agincourt has real potential, if they ever rationalize the street grid here and redevelop Agincourt Mall...too bad the subway will never be extended, thanks to Miller and de Baeremaeker's streetcarphile cabal.

They're leaving space for a bus terminal and GO/TTC station...ok, yet what bus routes would possibly connect here? The GO connection has dubious utility and a subway stop at Kennedy & Sheppard is really sufficient to serve the area, so methinks this station's purpose is mainly to spur megaredevelopment on the interior of the Sheppard/Midland/401/Kennedy block (and there's a lot that can be done here, probably almost 10k residential units eventually). The station will also serve people close to and east of Midland, though, but the Midland bus will connect with a station at Progress. This kind of proposal to overbuild stations will only serve to ensure it never gets built.

The office towers aren't even close to each other or to the existing tower...just seems bizarre to have them interspersed with condos.

The city wants to achieve "high architectural standards in the design and construction of the neighbourhood's built form" to "positively contribute to the image of this area and Toronto." Tridel's latest attempt at higher standards is Element, so...

2100 residential units are permitted on site, so they're gunning for close to the max.

The works yard on the other side of Kennedy is also within the secondary plan's boundary...maybe something massive like this will eventually be proposed there, too - it would be a prime site, with great highway access. As wyliepoon says, the site in its current state is not the most welcoming place to live, but that will change eventually as the area becomes less haphazard and more connected.

I'll assume the proposed streets in this report are 'final' since the official plan map they show and the secondary plan's map found on the city's official plan website both show different street proposals - although Sufferance will connect to Emblem in all three.

I didn't really see any references to retail...there's not much around there - surely they don't expect ~5000 residents and employees to trek up to the mall or down to Kennedy Commons for even a convenience store. I guess more info will be released when the final report comes out, even if it is just a convenience store + Subway + Second Cup + dry cleaners.

edit - just noticed one of the townhouse blocks is "4-8 storeys"...8 storeys must be the permitted height of buildings since 8 storey townhouses seems silly - how high can traditional townhouses be built? A point must be reached where stairs take up so much room it defeats the point of the added density.

I don't know if it would be easy to sell residential units in that area

Tridel seems to have a history of buying land in 'B' locations (Essex, Verve, Legends etc) and having great success with those projects.

This seems like yet another reason to push for the completion of the Sheppard line. The province is very much in favour of it and I could see the funding coming in the next few years (extention would run through Minister of Public Infrastructure Renewal - David Caplan's riding and a number of other Liberal ridings).... but the City seems to not be too interested in subways and I don't think any Federal Conservative MP's have ever riden a subway.

Well, Harper *did* grow up in Leaside. It's entirely possible he may have taken the Eglinton bus over to Eglinton station, and then the train downtown once or twice to watch a Leaf game at the Gardens....

"Tridel seems to have a history of buying land in 'B' location"

not to mention two successful communities within (maybe pushing it) the same community as 2055 Kennedy (Mondeo, Bonis Drive)

Metrogate: Tridel plans 6 Towers in Scarborough

from today's Star:

Six-tower plan to go in Scarborough
TheStar.com - Athome - Six-tower plan to go in Scarborough
February 03, 2007
Theresa Boyle
Real Estate Reporter

The Canderel Group of Companies has sold a large tract of land in Scarborough to Tridel, paving the way for a new condo development there.

Canderel has announced that it has unloaded the Toronto Sufferance Truck Terminal, which it had acquired in 1988, in partnership with a client of Aurion Capital Management in 1998.

The 6.8-hectare site, located north of Highway 401 and Kennedy Rd., has already been rezoned to allow for 2,100 residential condominium units, and up to 450,000 square feet of commercial space.

Tridel vice-president Jim Ritchie says his firm has plans for up to six condo towers there, one office building, some townhomes and some retail. It will transform what is now "not a very pretty piece of property," he says.

Tridel plans to make the project environmentally friendly.

"This was a one-of-a-kind land development opportunity in Toronto," said Richard Diamond, senior vice-president of Canderel.

i guess canderel is going to use the money from the sale to start aura.

only Tridel can pull a project such as this off in this city - Canderel was wise to step away

i would have to say concord adex could do it definately
better than tridel.i guess we will see what happens with the sheppard lands

The problem with Tridel is that seeing an announcement of a new project by them doesn't generate much excitement.

If it can build 2000 condo units in an area begging for redevelopment, fill them with people, and everybody's happy in the end, who cares if there's no excitement? Agincourt will only be exciting when the Sheppard subway is extended.

^At which point my relatives who still remain there will move to the edge of Richmond hill to perpetuate their peacefully boring suburban bliss.

Back