Toronto Downtown Condos at Wellington West | 36.57m | 11s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

cabeman

Member Bio
Reaction score
With all the recent talk about the hotel component at 550 Wellington I thought I'd add threads for 2 other pending hotel projects in the neighbourhood (560 Front Street West and 518 Wellington Street West)

A bit of information on both projects here ...

http://wellingtonplace.org/

518WellingtonStreetWest.jpg

518WellingtonStreetW1.jpg

518WellingtonStreetW2.jpg

518WellingtonStreetW3.jpg

518WellingtonStreetW4.jpg

My understanding is that the restaurant on the corner of Wellington/Portland will be incorporated into the new structure.

Great find and post. Thanks.

That is a great design. Its nice to see a little play with shapes and form.

That rendering confuses me. Are they going to tear down the old building to build a new one, and then paint a mural of the old building on the new building?

My understanding is that the restaurant on the corner of Wellington/Portland will be incorporated into the new structure.

Why do I have a suspicion that the pub will, in the end, vanish?

Too bad. I liked to hang out there now and then.

Oooh I like. It seems we're getting more of this type of architecture.
Why in the world would they paint such an ugly mural though? lol.

You have to give them points for trying - uh - whatever it is they're trying to do.

great. way to go Toronto, remove a great corner pub that is one of the few greats around king west to replace it with some cold yuppy hotel.

Okay, please clarify, is the corner pub building staying or going? If it's going, I think any of the original grandeur of the old Wellington St., with its boulevards and mansions running between Clarence Sq. and Victoria Memorial Sq. is pretty much a write-off, to be replaced with more Fight Clubesque condos that could go anywhere. I'm not a preservationist at all costs, but I'm so sick of seeing great buildings like this (sort of turn of the cent. Queen Anne?) get knocked down without fanfare. In five years people will scream about it, but once it's gone you can't rebuild it.

Back