Toronto One Valhalla Towns & Condos + Triumph Phase Three | 116.12m | 35s | Edilcan | P + S / IBI

Yet another mid-suburban hotel bites the dust.

Nothing partcularly wrong per se about living near a highway - it can be neat watching the traffic, as some people living near the Gardiner attest to - but there's no amenities around, and the 111 isn't the greatest bus route either (a bit of a walk too to East Mall). I figure most people will be attracted by the proximity to the 427.

I used to love watching the 401 go by from my balcony...in the summer only the tops of trucks would be visible, though.

I've never actually seen the 401 move. Are you sure?

maybe if you watch it with time lapse goggles.

Valhalla Inn Condos on the 427

From the Etobicoke Guardian

Heritage value found in old Valhalla Inn
Architectural elements of building recommended for preservation

BY TAMARA SHEPHARD
OCTOBER 4, 2007 04:56 PM

Plans by its owner to turn the Valhalla Inn into three, 20-odd storey condominiums is resting easier with heritage preservationists than it is with some area residents.

The city is moving to add the circa-1963 motor inn to its inventory of heritage properties for its "cultural heritage value," a June report from the Toronto Preservation Board indicates.

Architectural elements - not the entire building - are recommended to be saved, including portions of the west façade, roof, distinctive Oasthouse roofs, interior archway, Nordic dining lounge and bar in the shape of a Viking ship, as well as the Mermaid Lounge sign, art piece and metal screen.
News of the preservation interest struck the Valhalla's owner by surprise.
"Yeah, we were surprised. But our client took the position to work with them as much as we could hiring an architect and various others to work with (city) staff," said Barry Morrison, planning consultant for the applicant, Santek Investments.

Morrison said he did not know how much cost the owner has incurred in the process. The owner is Michael Kalmar, who owns another Etobicoke landmark - The Old Mill Inn and Spa.

The Old Mill has undergone restoration and heritage preservation under Michael Kalmar and his father, George, who bought it in 1991.
Area councillor Peter Milczyn (Etobicoke-Lakeshore) agrees that aspects of the Valhalla should be saved.

"I think it's really a beautiful architectural element," the Ward 5 councillor said of the Valhalla's front entrance, lobby and Nordic dining lounge. "It is significant in terms of Etobicoke architectural heritage. It would be a shame to lose (it)."

Councillor Doug Holyday disagrees. "This is only one example of why we've got financial problems at the city," the Ward 3 (Etobicoke Centre) councillor said at Etobicoke York Community Council earlier this week, referring to the city's budget crisis.

"I'm all for heritage, but not when it impedes development and incurs costs to everyone associated with it when we're not able to pay our own bills."
Holyday also questioned the heritage interest of the building's architecture.
"This isn't from a century ago. It was built in 1963 and added to since."
The move follows a contentious community meeting held in June on plans to turn the motor inn into condominiums.

Many of the approximately 90 area residents who attended argued the proposed buildings - one 22-storey tower, one 25-storey tower and one 29-storey tower - are too tall, with too many units and will create traffic congestion in their neighbourhood of The East Mall between Bloor Street West and Burnhamthorpe Road.

"Another 1,500 to 2,000 vehicles in the neighbourhood with limited parking facilities," area resident Elsie Chadwick told the Guardian after she attended the June meeting. "All these cars added to an already too-busy area with fire trucks, ambulances, buses, highway semis (tractor-trailers) who use The East Mall as a shortcut to get to their destinations south of Dundas (Street West)."

The condo plans are changing. Morrison said yesterday his client is redesigning the plan, prior to applying to the city for rezoning. Another community consultation meeting will be held for residents in coming months, prior to the public planning meeting on the rezoning application, Milczyn said.

Two reactions to the story above:

1) It's totally great and a pleasant surprise that parts of this building have been listed for preservation.

2) Doug Holyday is not just an uncultured pig (which has long been evident), but also a stupid one. How can he possibly defend his statement that listing this building is an example of why we have a budget problem? I suppose though that there is no guarantee that a city councillor will know any more about architecture than the average Joe, but it is worrisome that people like that could have the power to negatively influence or completely derail preservation plans in the city.

Valhalla I am coming...On we sweep with threshing oar, our only goal will be the Western shore. Ahhhhhh ahhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhh!

2) Doug Holyday is not just an uncultured pig (which has long been evident), but also a stupid one. How can he possibly defend his statement that listing this building is an example of why we have a budget problem? I suppose though that there is no guarantee that a city councillor will know any more about architecture than the average Joe, but it is worrisome that people like that could have the power to negatively influence or completely derail preservation plans in the city.

But, nice for him to uncloset himself with his "it isn't a century old" argument. It's more risible now than it might have been a generation or two ago...

Personally, I'd rather have a tall slender building than big-box-shaped condos any day.

That whole area has always seemed depressed to me (and I lived there, so I can say that). Anything that will spur revitalization is a good thing.

Valhalla I am coming...On we sweep with threshing oar, our only goal will be the Western shore. Ahhhhhh ahhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Only to arrive and find out Valhalla is GONE!! Fallen prey to gods of development and their towers of proudful exhibition...

Agreed that the area seems a bit depressed. The apartment buildings in the area are aging. This seems like a good proposal to help perk up the area. Traffic might be a bit of a concern, but there is a direct access from Hwy. 427 northbound to Valhalla Inn Road, which would mitigate the concern somewhat, and the full interchange at Burnhamthorpe Road is only 1/2 km. to the north.

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

On June 10 the Etobicoke COmmunity Council heard a report recommending the city approve a rezoning application submitted for 1 Valhalla Inn Road to permit development of three condo towers, of 19, 25 and 29-storeys, containing 898 units, and a four-storey above-grade parking garage.

Back