News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 745     0 

The Weather

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
I figured we need a weather thread. It's something everyone talks about, and affects us all.

Michael Kuss, who is the meteorologist for City-TV wrote a blog entry the other day talking about how warm September was.

September 2007 in Toronto was a full three degrees above normal. That's a huge difference. The mean monthly temperature in Toronto hit 18.4C. An average Toronto September experiences a mean temperature of 15.3C. It wasn't the warmest September on record however. In fact it wasn't even the warmest this century. September 2005 was warmer than this year's edition. We felt a total of four days that topped 30C including 34.4C on the 6th and and incredible 33.8C late in the month on the 26th.

The dry weather that dominated the summer stretched through September. Only 28.6 mm of precipitation fell at Pearson airport which is well short of the normal 77.5 mm and the driest September since 2004. Downtown 31.5 mm of rain touched down which is the least amount of city centre rain we've seen since 1969.

Our weather station rain totals were all below 50 mm. Caledon and Newmarket to the north saw closer to 25 mm with the highest rain totals in North York and Oakville.

http://www.citynews.ca/blogs/citynewsweather_15333.aspx

Everywhere I look has brown. All the leaves and bushes and many trees. The grass hasn't been green since July in many places.
I don't recall ever seeing it this dry for such a long period of time since I moved to Ontario in 1995.

Also the next 3 months outlook, looks pretty much more of the same of what we've been experiencing.Above normal temperatures, and below normal precipitation.

Temperature outlook for Oct, Nov, Dec:

sfe1t_s.gif

Precipitation outlook for Oct, Nov, Dec:

sfe1p_s.gif

And this weekend looks great. I didn't think I'd get another chance to head over to the island and sit on the beach, but it looks like I get it. All this while my familia is sweating back in Edmontonland with their balmy 3 degrees. I guess burning a few crisp hundred dollar bills in the fireplace easily helps with that.

Yes, it's apparently going to be record breaking this weekend. 29 Saturday, 30 Sunday, and 29 Monday. Wow. I love it.

This is so exciting. Our very own Percy Saltzman - phunky!:)

So. When d'ya think it's gonna to turn cooler?

I think it's going to cool down mid week, next week. I think it will be average temps or just above average. So high teens, low twenties.

"Tonight's forecast: Dark. Continued dark throughout most of the evening, with some widely-scattered light towards morning."

was anyone downtown tonight with all taht fog?!

it was amazing. i walked out on gould and just saw a white sky from all the lights hitting the dense fog. yonge/dundas square was much brighter than it usually is as well.

On the bus going down the Gardiner to the folks for Thanksgiving weekend the fog was coming off the lake and flowing over the lakefront condos between Spadina and Bathurst and between the highrises. Amazing. The fog was like pea soup while going over the Burlington Skyway.

Oh, that kind of marine.

I was ready to go to the lake to watch the Marines arriving from New York, and preparing myself for the fog of war.

But hey, it's just fog.

phunky: Are you changing your avatar to reflect the weather?

You could be our very own UT Life Weather Beacon!

* Baseball cap - rain
* Jacket - turning colder
* T-shirt - getting warmer
etc.

I like that idea! UT's answer to the Canada Life Building weather beacon.

Back