Toronto Queen & Portland Loft & Condominium Residences | ?m | 9s | Tribute | Turner Fleischer

U

unimaginative2

Globe on Holdouts + Big Box on Queen West

When David stood up to Goliath
Holdout properties are almost a thing of the past in our high-rolling town
BERT ARCHER

Special to The Globe and Mail

To most people, the southwest corner of Queen and Portland is just a parking lot. But to RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust, it's a prize: a huge development site in the heart of downtown Toronto, currently a parking lot, which it is reportedly planning to fill with either a big-box Home Depot or a Sobey's, plus condos or apartments.

If, that is, it gets the neighbours to play along.

At Ali Baba's next door, there are a couple of guys who've decided not to play by the big boys' rules.

A parking lot is not usually one of the more challenging kinds of real estate to develop. But running through the centre of this one is a four-metre-wide right of way, which is shared with the Papaconstantinou brothers, Lambros and Elias, owners since 1981 of 607, 607A and 607B Queen St. W., a single trisected building that abuts the lot.

The right-of-way is a "holdout," one of the very few left in a city that doesn't hold out long to developers. After 12 bullish years in the Toronto real-estate market, pickings are getting slim for developers looking to assemble properties. According to real-estate agent and property assembler Brad J. Lamb, "Downtown Toronto does not have any really big sites any more; you've generally got to put together bits and pieces."

Most of the holdout houses and shops left in the Greater Toronto Area are hanging on, on principle, rather than in the hopes of getting huge payouts. The Papaconstantinou story may be a case in point.

While sitting across the street in Herbie's Herbs, a store he owns with his brother, Lambros says the RioCan representatives "came to me and asked me to sign a piece of paper to give them the rights to my driveway." The Papaconstantinous didn't sign. RioCan also offered to buy the building, but their offer was "ridiculous," says Elias, not elaborating further. (RioCan did not respond to The Globe and Mail's request for an interview.)

After turning down RioCan's offers, Lambros awoke one morning a month ago -- he lives above Ali Baba's, at 607 -- to find a shiny metal fence creatively installed at the boundary of his property, with an approximately two-metre opening onto the area he and his tenants use for parking. He assumes RioCan put it there. "We used to have 14 feet," he says, "now we have seven."

For now, RioCan and the Papaconstantinous are in a stand-off. The brothers want the direct access from the street to their building that they've always enjoyed, and RioCan would probably have difficulty building a big box with a four-metre laneway running through the middle of it. "Will I fight with RioCan and the lawyers?" Lambros says. "I have no choice."

But anyone currently thinking about holding out for a bigger payday would do well to remember the tailor who tried to fight giants 40 years ago. In 1965, Lucio Casaccio refused to sell his shop at the corner of Parliament and Wellesley -- which his family had owned since the early 1900s -- to a big investment firm that was developing his neighbourhood, St. James Town, into a vertical haven for swinging singles. Howard Investments Ltd. had at first offered Mr. Casaccio $45,000, reportedly twice the value of the property. Ultimately, they offered him more than double that, but still he refused, holding out for an even better offer.

The offer never came, and a 24-storey apartment building went up in a V-shape around his property, rendering it a good deal less valuable than it had been. Mr. Casaccio sued Howard Investments and ended up losing even more money. The property, now the New World Coin Laundry, is no longer in the Casaccio family.

But times have changed, and even big corporations seem aware that coming across as big-spending, V-shape-building ogres can put them in a lose-lose situation.

Bob Ross, owner of The Rex Hotel Jazz and Blues Bar on Queen Street just west of University Avenue, is another well-known holdout. About five years ago, Canada Life expressed an interest in buying the venerable property to get more room to build the office tower that now looms overhead. The buyers were so enthusiastic that they gallantly offered to fly Mr. Ross to the best jazz clubs in North America to study their designs, which he could incorporate into a new jazz club that they would build for him.

"I was too busy," Mr. Ross says. "It would have been nice."

He adds that though there was never any "untoward" pressure, "they did come at me in many and sundry ways, and they made me more than a reasonable offer. It wasn't wild, but it was certainly more than reasonable." He declined, and The Rex continues apace, the Canada Life building large but not bullying The Rex's airspace. (Canada Life did not return The Globe's request for an interview.)

From large scale to small scale, then, to West Queen West. Two years ago, agents working for Jeff Stober, owner of the Drake Hotel, approached Rose Vuong, owner for 20 years of the Saigon Flower Vietnamese restaurant four doors east of the Drake. Mr. Stober had already bought the three buildings between his and hers, as well as the building on the other side of hers.

Mrs. Vuong, a widow who wants to pass the restaurant in the increasingly profitable neighbourhood to her two enthusiastic daughters, refused what she says was an offer of $750,000 for the building she paid $120,000 for in 1986.

"I've been here so long, everybody knows me," she says of her desire to stay (she lives upstairs with her daughters). "I know the father, the mother, and now the kids become my customers as well. Anyway," she adds cannily, "right now, from Ossington to Gladstone, nothing's going for under $1-million."

Mr. Stober, who is using the second-floor spaces in the buildings he did buy to house the Drake's artists-in-residence, expresses no hard feelings. "I wish her very well," he says.

He has no current development plans for the block, V-shaped or otherwise.

How are big box stores laid out in downtown? How would you incorporate condos or apartments into such a building?

^ Check out the new Canadian Tire/Best Buy at the Eaton Centre.

In downtown Chicago you will find the first successful urban multi-storey Home Depot on a mixed-use site, which opened a few years ago.

I'm so happy to see that the Rex on Queen wasn't demolished. The new Canada Life building looks just fine next to the old jazz bar/hotel - a real historical gem in Toronto, which I believe is currently undergoing its own multi-million dollar renovation.

Link to article

Will Home Depot head to Queen Street?
'It's Acceptable'

Chris Wattie
National Post

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Home Depot may move an outlet into a building proposed for the corner of Queen and Portland streets.

City hall will be asked next month to approve a development that is expected to bring a Home Depot to artsy Queen Street West.

The building proposed for the corner of Queen and Portland streets would include a four-storey condominium in the rear of the property and three floors of stores along the front, but those familiar with the project say it will be a home-improvement outlet unlike any other in Canada.

Home Depot, believed to be the main tenant of the 99,000-square-foot development, would base this store on a highly successful "storefront Home Depot" in Manhattan rather than the usual massive, aircraft-hangar-sized store.

Councillor Adam Vaughan, who represents the area, said residents were able to squeeze concessions from RioCan including a proposed public gallery space in the development, thanks in part to a city-owned laneway that cuts the property in two.

"It's not the greatest development in the world, but it's acceptable now, I think. We're going to keep pressing Home Depot to make it the greatest development it can."

Jordan Robins, the vice-president of development for builder RioCan Real Estate, said a modified site plan for the project has been submitted to the city and will be up before the city's committee of adjustment in November.

If the city approves the developer's plan, including what Mr. Robins called "minor variances" to city zoning bylaws, then RioCan hopes to begin construction on the site next year.

The property that is now a fairly undistinguished parking lot will become a four-storey building combining condominiums and shopping, apparently including an "urban Home Depot" outlet.

The prospect of a big box store wedging itself into the relatively crowded confines Queen Street West alarmed many neighbours, particularly the owners of small shops and hardware stores in the area, but Mr. Robins said those concerns were unfounded.

"People were concerned that we were building some 60-storey building on that site; others heard Home Depot was coming and they think it's a big, one-storey box store with a huge parking lot in front," he said. "There were all sorts of rumours."

But the developer insists it has gone out of its way to ensure the new building blends in with the neighbourhood, hiring architects that specialize in heritage projects.

Mr. Robins could not confirm Home Depot will be the main tenant, but said his company is in negotiations with "a major national retail chain."

"We've been approached by every major retailer in the country on this [and] we're pretty far along in discussions with one of them," he said.

Mr. Vaughan said many local businesses were worried a Home Depot would drive them out of business.

But the proposed store would not resemble the chain's huge suburban outlets, but would instead be a storefront operation aimed at supplying smaller renovation projects or minor home improvements undertaken by condo owners or apartment tenants.

Spokespeople for Home Depot Canada did not return phone calls seeking comment on the development. RioCan, however, is confident that it has won over most local residents who opposed their project.

"I think it's fair to say that people just don't like change," Mr. Robins said of the opposition to the project.

"I think we've addressed the concerns ... We're inordinately proud of this development. We've gone to great lengths to design it so it will fit in with the Queen Street West neighbourhood."

It all depends on the design. When I first saw the title, I had a good idea it was going to be an urban interpretation of the store (it would be Stinsonesque to propose a hangar type store at this location). As long as it's not a giant orange facade, it will probably turn out fine. Smaller chain stores within the downtown will mean that more suburban type stores may not be needed in the city, and those local carless residents can just walk down the street to buy home improvement supplies instead of renting or bringing those 2x4s onto the streetcar. It's always good to have more competition and variety.

there is a massive suburban Home depot on the Saint Claire streetcar route.

Taking a pic with a streetcar and a home depot would be funny.

It will be interesting to see whether they integrate this Home Depot to the same degree as the one in Manhattan. In this case, I think it will now depend on how the building looks, as the size of the store appears to be settled.

Just down Portland, on King, is the Lee Valley Hardware store. So no new food store, but two hardware stores. I guess someone is imagining lots of renovation in the area.

If it's similar to the 23rd street version of the Manhattan location, it could be actualy be ok. Not sure about the 3rd ave version though.

23rd st.
50HD%2023rd%20St%201.jpg

3rd ave.
183The%20Home%20Depot%20-%203rd%20Avenue%201.jpg

We should be so lucky. Our architects, even the celebrated ones, seem almost unable to produce ground level retail/podium architecture that is that high of quality (Ryerson business building? Cinderblocks at Spire? ROCP? Cityplace?).

I completely agree! No matter how impressive the architect, none seem to be able to produce anything beyond the same low-ceiling, low-profile streetfront retail. The only exception I can think of is from Tridel, of all developers, at No. 10 Bellair.

We should be so lucky. Our architects, even the celebrated ones, seem almost unable to produce ground level retail/podium architecture that is that high of quality (Ryerson business building? Cinderblocks at Spire? ROCP? Cityplace?).

I've always wondered why this is such a problem. You'd think at this point it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately far too many developments have bases that look like afterthoughts.

I think quite simply is that bases don't sell condos in Toronto. People look more at the tower (we're guilty of that sometimes ourselves), particularly when it comes to suburban minded people moving downtown, they don't really care about the podium because it's not the first thing that comes to mind. In Manhattan, on the other hand, the ground floor is just an extension of their life in the tower and pedestrianism is engrained in their mindsets. I think, as we've seen recently, podium designs have improved significantly, and only will as our population becomes more urban and demands more to their doorsteps than just a plain entrance.

Can't tell from the article whether the laneway will be preserved, but it sounds like it might not. That would be a shame, I think - it's a pretty long continuous route that could one day evolve into something more interesting.

Back