News   Mar 28, 2024
 29     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 264     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 636     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Notice of Final Public Information Centre

The final option will be something never seen in Toronto nor by TTC.

Face to face of buildings will be a max 32m and trying to get it down to 30 if possible.

Sidewalks will be 5m wide with one lane of traffic and bike lane each way. One block will have parking on the west side. Bike lanes are about 1.6-1.8m.

The streetcars tracks will be on the east side as the West 8 design for Queens Quay. The tracks and east side sidewalk will be at the same level and becomes one hug sidewalk. Platforms will be raise with a ramp at each end. Pedestrians will only have a short distance to walk across the streets compare to what they have to do today.

4 rows of trees using the new urban design for the roots of the trees.

This PIC will end the EA study and it will presented to TTC in November and then to Council in December for approval. Then pass off the the MOE for final approval.

Detail and construction drawings will take place in 2008 and there will be a couple PIC before final tender.

Construction will start in 2009 and the line open late 2009 or early 2010.

More detail study has to take place how the line will connect to King St.

504 will see a new sign board call Donlands. (humm!! isn't there a Donland line now to come to think about it?) Like the West Don. There maybe a new number if the line only runs from the Broadview station to the Port Lands itself only using Cherry St.

Loop will be built just north of the interlock tower. It will be built only for Cherry and the Queens Quay line will not use this loop.

As how this line will connect to the Queens Quay and the Port Lands is to be pass off to Port Land team. This team will becoming up with a new road alinement's that includes moving the Lake Shore to the south.

There are 4 options as how the new line will get south of the tracks with only 2 being formally suggested to the other team.

Option 1 call for the lowering of the roadway by .7m to give TTC clearance under the existing bridge. One lane for traffic and one for TTC in each direction. (suggested) Exist sidewalk remain as is. Bridge will see a makeover. This will require the streetcars to reenter traffic and will cause some issues at that location.

Option 2 is punching a new tunnel on each side for bikes. (Better for a new sidewalk and turn over the existing sidewalk to bikers.)

Option 3 is punching a new tunnel for TTC where the interlock towers is and it will have to be relocated. If this option is used, the the lane used by TTC under the tracks under option 1 would become a bike lane and the road not lower. TTC tracks would stay on the east side and will not interfering with the traffic. (suggested)

Option 4 is to build a new bridge 100%. Cost is about $50 million and a drop in the buck for the Waterfront Development. It will have to be done at some time in the future and better do it now than later. Will cause GO some problems, but can be overcome.

Biker will be very happy about this road.

Service will be about 10-15 minutes on day one as there is nothing there now to support better headway at this time. Headway will fall to to 2-3 minutes when full build out is done. Transit First and Rapid Transit has been the goal from day one for the Whole Waterfront Development.

5 developers have been short listed and the awarding of the contract for the first 850 unites to take place in Oct for the West Don. 6,000 unites plan for the West Don Area.

Come on out Oct 11 to see what Cherry St will look like in a couple of years.

There is no funding issue for this project.

East Bay PIC may happen this year. Construction will not take place until about 2010 at the earliest as there are too many issues to be resolved until the the other 2 EA's are done.

Central Waterfront EA (West 8 design) is just starting and to be finish late 2008. Port Lands has yet to start.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) and Waterfront Toronto invite the public to attend the final public information centre for the TTC-TWRC Waterfront Transit Environmental Assessment – West Don Lands. The purpose of this study is to identify the required transit infrastructure to serve future waterfront development in the West Don Lands area.

The first public workshop of the study was held on March 21, 2007 which resulted in the selection of streetcar along Cherry Street between Lake Shore
Boulevard and King Street as the preferred option for providing transit service in the West Don Lands area.

A drop-in centre was held on July 26, 2007 where three short-list options for Cherry Street were presented to the public. Subsequently, based on a technical assessment with input from the community and staff from the City, the TTC, and Waterfront Toronto, a recommended alternative for Cherry Street has been identified. As p art of the environmental assessment
process, the final public information centre is being held on October 11, 2007 to present the recommended alternative before it is submitted for approval by City Council.

Date: Thursday, October 11, 2007
106 Trinity Street
Toronto, Ontario
Time: 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

The meeting will be held as a drop- in centre where you can review display material. Members of the Project Team will be present to answer questions and respond to comments.

The study is being undertaken to meet the requirements of the Ontario Environmental Assessment Act. As a result of recently-approved amendments to the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment process, the study will be completed under the newly-approved process for transit projects. For more information on this transition process please contact the study Project Manager.

We encourage your participation at this final public information centre and look forward to your attendance. If you wish to receive additional
information about the study, be included on the project mailing list, or provide comments to the Project Team, please contact either of the following:

Bill Dawson
Project Manager
TTC-TWRC Transit EA Projects
Toronto Transit Co mmission
transit@...
416-393-4490

Andrea Kelemen
Communications & Marketing
Waterfront Toronto
transit@...
416-214-1344

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dynamic.php?first=43fa75b221b08&second=4644b9f62b\
745&third=447f45e904642&fourth=447f4d1426922

http://www.shortclick.com/0ib/

If I'm reading this right, it sounds like everything is being done right in an urbanistic sense with regard to this project.

Yes it is and needs to be apply to all ROW present and future ones.

St Clair and Fleet ROW are heading toward disastrous as well how to build an ROW for cars first, not transit nor the street.

TTC staff will be presenting the final EA report and plans to the commissioners at Dec 6 meeting for approval. It then will be presented to City Council in Dec for their approval.

Once the City approves the report and plans, it will be sent to the Ministry for their approval.

Once the Ministry approves the EA, then detail design and construction drawing can take place. Construction is schedule to start in 2009 and running by year end.

Sad, no new New LRT for this new line as plan.

Ummm... thirded... (is that a word?) Anything to get the 504 cars off this ridiculous Parliament-Dundas-Broadview short turn loop. Sometimes I have seen 6 cars at once working their way through this loop at rush hour. What a waste of resources.

EDIT: So I guess this will be the first expansion of the streetcar network since Spadina?

Last edited:
Ummm... thirded... (is that a word?) Anything to get the 504 cars off this ridiculous Parliament-Dundas-Broadview short turn loop. Sometimes I have seen 6 cars at once working their way through this loop at rush hour. What a waste of resources.

EDIT: So I guess this will be the first expansion of the streetcar network since Spadina?

Yet the eternal morons at the TTC would rather spend millions building this streetcar line, rebuilding the Adelaide and Wellington tracks, rather than building just a small loop at Park Lawn to offer the thousands of new residents in Humber Bay Shores a more reliable and more frequent service.

Sometimes I just want to scream at the moron who decides these things. Delayed past 2015? Seriously? 2 years ago we were told this loops is going to be under construction by summer 2009!

Yet the eternal morons at the TTC would rather spend millions building this streetcar line, rebuilding the Adelaide and Wellington tracks, rather than building just a small loop at Park Lawn to offer the thousands of new residents in Humber Bay Shores a more reliable and more frequent service.

Sometimes I just want to scream at the moron who decides these things. Delayed past 2015? Seriously? 2 years ago we were told this loops is going to be under construction by summer 2009!

First off, there is no need for a Park Lawn loop as it is should be west of there by 7 blocks. As for service, I agree.

Adelaide cannot be touch until 2012/13 until various developments are finish. What good is rebuilding the track when streetcars cannot use it.

Wellington is schedule around 2013 to be rebuilt.

The funding is in place or was in place for Cherry St that was schedule for this year, but has been pushed back because of the Pan AM games.

You better call me a moron for the Cherry St line as I was part of the team that draft the Terms of Reference for the master plan of all the new transit lines for the Portland area including Cherry St before it went to the public as well all the EA's for them these past 6 years.

The goal then and still is to get riders to and from the Distillery area as well the waterfront. It was to get transit in before the real development of the West Don Lands took place so new resident would not buy a car to live in this area as well cut down on traffic.

TTC wanted to used this loop to short turn the 504's to make better use of resources.

Waterfront Toronto has been piss off with the city since 2007 when they were promises the first 7 LRT's by then, since they were paying for them and still waiting for them.

If you want to scream at the morons, start with city council, since they didn't want to spend the money for new LRT's starting in 1997 as they didn't want to do it on their watch. Then Howard who was Chair of TTC, who refused to look a tendering these LRT's and give the order to Thunder Bay before 2005. Then there was the tender mess. Then it was Miller who didn't asked for fund from upper levels for these cars to the point the city had to pickup that extra 1/3.

With the new clowns in office, you will not see much push for streetcars work until 2015 when the clowns leave the city. Then, not much will happen until the Pan AM games are over.

At this point, I and about 40 people at all levels have wasted 6 years trying to get transit on the waterfront as well urban development as we had a chance to change the look of the city and develop a whole new community from scratch that only comes around every 100 years or so.

I will be very disappointed if this plan does not proceeds, come Sept 21.

First off, there is no need for a Park Lawn loop as it is should be west of there by 7 blocks. As for service, I agree.

Adelaide cannot be touch until 2012/13 until various developments are finish. What good is rebuilding the track when streetcars cannot use it.

Wellington is schedule around 2013 to be rebuilt.

The funding is in place or was in place for Cherry St that was schedule for this year, but has been pushed back because of the Pan AM games.

You better call me a moron for the Cherry St line as I was part of the team that draft the Terms of Reference for the master plan of all the new transit lines for the Portland area including Cherry St before it went to the public as well all the EA's for them these past 6 years.

The goal then and still is to get riders to and from the Distillery area as well the waterfront. It was to get transit in before the real development of the West Don Lands took place so new resident would not buy a car to live in this area as well cut down on traffic.

TTC wanted to used this loop to short turn the 504's to make better use of resources.

Waterfront Toronto has been piss off with the city since 2007 when they were promises the first 7 LRT's by then, since they were paying for them and still waiting for them.

If you want to scream at the morons, start with city council, since they didn't want to spend the money for new LRT's starting in 1997 as they didn't want to do it on their watch. Then Howard who was Chair of TTC, who refused to look a tendering these LRT's and give the order to Thunder Bay before 2005. Then there was the tender mess. Then it was Miller who didn't asked for fund from upper levels for these cars to the point the city had to pickup that extra 1/3.

With the new clowns in office, you will not see much push for streetcars work until 2015 when the clowns leave the city. Then, not much will happen until the Pan AM games are over.

At this point, I and about 40 people at all levels have wasted 6 years trying to get transit on the waterfront as well urban development as we had a chance to change the look of the city and develop a whole new community from scratch that only comes around every 100 years or so.

I will be very disappointed if this plan does not proceeds, come Sept 21.

You're not the moron, the clowns above you who decide the general direction of capital spending are where I aim my frustration.

I waited 35 minutes today at 8pm for my streetcar! Luckily I have the Rocket app so I waited at home, but 35 minutes?

Where would the revised Park Lawn loop be? Towards Superior Ave? Or as far as the Royal York area? The area west of the Humber Bay is quickly becoming dense residential - having a large portion of 501 cars turn around at Humber Loop, directly before the condos, doesn't make a lot of sense moving forward.

Fourthed.

While I have a hard time believing this will happen under the current council, I should note that the city has been digging down at the northwest corners of cherry and eastern as well as cherry and front both corners where the road is supposed to be shifted over on top of.

While I have a hard time believing this will happen under the current council, I should note that the city has been digging down at the northwest corners of cherry and eastern as well as cherry and front both corners where the road is supposed to be shifted over on top of.

This is the long-announced project to move all utilities to west side of the street so nothing will be underneath the LRT tracks. In the early spring the timetable was announced as:

a. Road building from King to Eastern will take from April 2011 to December 2011 and except for very brief periods should allow 2 lanes to stay open.
b. Road building from Eastern south to Mill is expected to take from July 2011 to August 2012; the road will need to be totally closed for the first 6 months; for the remainder, access will be limited.
c. Road building south of Mill St. to the rail bridge should take from April 2011 to August 2012 with total closure until the end of 2011. Access will be maintained for Cityscape.

Clearly they are a bit behind schedule but that's the plan and why the City is discussing lights, stop signs etc.

Back