Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
Project Essentials / dataBase detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
Aura at College Park
388 Yonge Street, Toronto
Developer: Canderel

Login to
post and
upload photos
Page 720 of 720 FirstFirst ... 220620670710718719720
Results 10,786 to 10,794 of 10794

Thread: Aura: Residences of College Park III (Canderel, 78s, G+C)

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thedeepend View Post
    Those beige scrabble pieces are not granite, limestone, or stone of any sort. The surface is, as Modern stated, a weird kind of cheap Ikea-like veneer. Anyone who looks at them up close can see this.
    The podium is just an urbanized version of a power centre, with matching architectural quality.

Quote Originally Posted by thedeepend View Post
    Those beige scrabble pieces are not granite, limestone, or stone of any sort. The surface is, as Modern stated, a weird kind of cheap Ikea-like veneer. Anyone who looks at them up close can see this.
    And anyone who looks at the sub-contractors invoices can see they used granite and limestone
    "Achievement is largely the product of steadily raising one's levels of aspiration and expectation" - Jack Nicklaus

Based on the size/thickness of those "sandstone" cladding pieces alone, one can tell that it is nothing more than a veneer. What's more, you can see the edges of them and you can also see units which have chipped and reveal the fibreglass beneath.

This is the cladding unit which was used at Aura: http://claddingsystems.ca/index.php/ahsp/description

6mm stone veneer is very thin, and I think it will age poorly. You're welcome to disagree, but let's call it what it is: a thin veneer. It's not as substantial as using dimensional stone panels like many other projects have used when stone is employed as a cladding material. There are ways that a thin stone veneer would work well, but the WAY it was used on this project makes it appear very cheap and unconvincing. An interior application would have been more appropriate, or at the very least a more delicate/lighter application of them on the exterior.

It looks worst at the corners, especially looking up, where you can see that it does not take the shape of a dimensional stone unit, and you can see the edges to the veneer very easily. I'm also puzzled at the choice to use these stone-veneer units (which are designed to have a "depth" and 3-dimensional quality to them) but then place the glazing units flush with the stone. I'm not necessarily opposed to that type of stone-veneer panel, but I think form an architectonic point of view, it's an inappropriate and heavy-handed use of a material. The biggest problem is the WAY they use the material, which is an important consideration in design.

Name:  Aura.JPG
Views: 437
Size:  51.7 KB

Call me a Aura-h8er!!!111, but I would never use such a heavy-handed application of stone veneer panel in my own design work.
    Last edited by modernizt; 2014-Nov-27 at 15:05.

4. Default

CHAZ by Marcanadian, on Flickr

CHAZ by Marcanadian, on Flickr

5. Default

I guess they aren't putting a roof on the crown after all?
    Architecture and Transit Nerds rejoice: My Photos from NYC - June 2014

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121506...7645572461324/

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot View Post
    And anyone who looks at the sub-contractors invoices can see they used granite and limestone
    hey man, i hate to break it to you, but those things are NOT stone! if the subs invoices say otherwise, that's one for the lawyers.

7. Default

There is some limestone and granite detailing at ground level. But the stuff that's above that is veneer. You could see when they were installing it that it was just aluminium paneling. I'm sure there are pictures earlier in the thread

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
    Photos from yesterday.
    From March 2012. Directly under the corner of the building there's a skid with three panels stacked up. Those are the "granite" panels. Just break shapes with a veneer.

Quote Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
    couple pictures by me

And another one from April 2012.
    Last edited by whatever; Yesterday at 23:41.

The fact that we have to debate what materials were used says a lot about the architectural quality of this building. Whether it's granite or not, this podium and it's basement still sucks.