Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
Project Essentials / dataBase detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread
Finch West Station
Finch Avenue West & Keele Street, Toronto
Developer: Toronto Transit Commission

Login to
post and
upload photos
Page 166 of 265 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 3971

Thread: Spadina Subway Extension (TTC, U/C)

Quote Originally Posted by rbt View Post
    Both the Georgetown corridor and $1B Union Station renovations are well underway and on schedule.

So, that's 3 major projects.

I'd toss the central part of Eglinton into that mix as well since it's schedule and resources have not been impacted, just the eastern chunk.
    agreed with Georgetown and Union Station; I would put Eglinton in "preparation" category though. I should've been more specific--what I had in mind is to have either LRT or subway lines being constructed at the moment in Toronto, not just any transit-related project in GTA...

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vz64 View Post
    agreed with Georgetown and Union Station; I would put Eglinton in "preparation" category though. I should've been more specific--what I had in mind is to have either LRT or subway lines being constructed at the moment in Toronto, not just any transit-related project in GTA...
    Georgetown will be a full fledged metro line when fully complete (grade separation underway is phase 1; Go still needs to figure out how to electrify the beast and boost frequencies).
    Last edited by rbt; 2012-Apr-03 at 12:48.

3. Default

I would put Eglinton in "preparation" category though.
    Eglinton is well beyond "preparation" -- there's a very sizeable hole in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Platform 27 View Post
    Eglinton is well beyond "preparation" -- there's a very sizeable hole in the ground.
    Sometimes even sizeable holes get filled... I am almost 100% sure it is not going to happen to the Crosstown, but I would feel better if TBMs were digging tunnels... Still, even that stage is not completely irreversible, but I would feel more certain

5. Default

Sometimes even sizeable holes get filled... I am almost 100% sure it is not going to happen to the Crosstown, but I would feel better if TBMs were digging tunnels... Still, even that stage is not completely irreversible, but I would feel more certain
    By this time next year you should be pretty comfortable.

Both the Georgetown corridor and $1B Union Station renovations are well underway and on schedule.
    Nitpick - depending on which part of the Union Station work you are referring to, it is either "on time", "more-or-less on time", "quite delayed" or "very delayed".

Dan
    Toronto, Ont.

7. Default

Georgetown will be a full fledged metro line when fully complete (grade separation underway is phase 1; Go still needs to figure out how to electrify the beast and boost frequencies).
    In what way would Georgetown be considered a "metro" by any stretch of the imagination?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Coruscanti Cognoscente View Post
    In what way would Georgetown be considered a "metro" by any stretch of the imagination?
    In the same sense that Bart or DC's systems are. 15 minute frequencies, grade separated, ...

I think S-Bahn would be a more appropriate comparison, but even that is stretching it a bit, because a lot more stops in Toronto would need to be added for that to be an accurate comparison.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gweed123 View Post
    I think S-Bahn would be a more appropriate comparison, but even that is stretching it a bit, because a lot more stops in Toronto would need to be added for that to be an accurate comparison.
    Agreed. "Metro" to me = "Subway" (or "Tube"/"Underground"). Even 15 min service on a GO line is not that

Agreed. "Metro" to me = "Subway" (or "Tube"/"Underground"). Even 15 min service on a GO line is not that
    Why? What about five minute service?

All these distinctions are meaningless. What Metrolinx needs to do to promote the idea of transforming the current GO corridors into rapid transit is an entirely new brand. When we say GO, there are a lot of people who just can't conceive of the idea of real rapid transit in these corridors. All they can imagine is running the bilevels a little more often. It needs a rebranding like Viva is to YRT buses. The concept would include 15 minute minimum frequencies at all times, electrified high-platform trains, relatively frequent stops, and seamless connection with other transit routes including buses and subways. It would extend out at least to the edge of the inner 905 and would provide a rapid transit backbone for the entire GTA. If someone wanted to go from Downtown Markham to Consumers Road, they would walk to the regional rail station, ride to Sheppard, then transfer to the TTC bus (or LRT) as seamlessly as you would from the subway today. The same would be the case for someone from the Lisgar area to Port Credit: they would ride their local bus to the regional rail station, transfer seamlessly to the regional train, then get off at Cooksville and transfer to the Hurontario bus (or LRT) down to Port Credit. The opportunities are endless and the cost is very reasonable. So much of the infrastructure is already in place.

The faster acceleration of electric trains will prevent the additional stops from adding much to travel time. For longer trips (Kitchener, Barrie, Hamilton), a higher level of service would exist with slightly more comfortable seating that would make fewer stops through the urban area. It would serve both longer trips and as a higher level express service within the city. All of these systems, of course, would be on the same zone fare system as local transit.

Quote Originally Posted by gweed123 View Post
    Zurich S-Bahn?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin10000 View Post
    Zurich S-Bahn?
    Most (all?) large German-speaking cities/urban regions have S-Bahn networks.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CDL.TO View Post
    Most (all?) large German-speaking cities/urban regions have S-Bahn networks.
    Yes, and they're generally described as a suburban metro.