Designation: Office
Expected Occupancy: January 2009
Height:
Floors: 30
Size: 780,000 square feet
Value: $250 million

www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/July2006/10/c8879.html

Re: Telus announces new office tower in downtown Toronto

Wow. I'm really excited about this project. Its nice to see an office tower springing up South of Union. The location is terrific.

This tower, combined with what Maple Leaf Square, will completely transform this corner. Now all we need is to see some activity on the NW corner. Wasn't that slated for a hotel?

Very nice.

pic_home.jpg

With Ritz/RBC, BA Centre, this project and possibly Trump (although I would be surprised), there will certainly be a few new major construction projects in the core this late fall.

When is Maple Leaf Square slated to start? I seem to recall spring 2007. The effects these two developments will have in drawing our waterfront and downtown core together, is valuable indeed.

SGM:

I think the hotel site is owned by Fairmount.

AoD

Just wondering if this development will block the Royal York view from the lake?

Jarrek:

Depending on where one's location is from the lake, it is inevitable that some blockage will occur. The important thing is that the view to Royal York from key sites are maintained.

AoD

Looking at the design, it appears that the architects have borrowed heavily (and provided us with cheaper looking versions) from key design elements of Renzo Piano's New York Times headquarters in New York.

That will fit nicely with our faux-Pelli Battery Park copies just south of this development. ;)

alklay:

Indeed - up to and inclusive of the spire! That said, I am still pleased with this derivative design.

AoD

And I don't necessarily dislike it either as its a bit of a change in cladding from other buildings in the core (and I think that is why the BA Centre rendering was so disappointing - it appears to be derivative of suburban office buildings that were being built 15 years ago).

The Star

Link to article

Telus to help build $250M T.O. office
Jul. 10, 2006. 11:46 AM
CANADIAN PRESS

Telus Corp. and Menkes Developments plan to build a $250-million office tower in downtown Toronto to support the B.C.-based telecom firm's plans to grow in Ontario.

"Telus is putting down deeper roots in Ontario," said Joseph Natale, president of Telus' business solutions division. "It is an important growth market for us and our decision to invest in a new building in the heart of downtown Toronto demonstrates our long-term commitment to Toronto and the province."

The 30-storey tower, to be built next to the Air Canada Centre, will feature 780,000 square feet of office space. Telus will be the lead tenant, taking up about 60 per cent of the total rentable area.

The project is being developed by Menkes Union Tower Ltd., a joint-venture partnership between Menkes Developments Ltd., Hospitals of Ontario Pension Plan and Halcyon Partners Fund, an institutional real estate equity fund.

Construction is set to begin in the fall, with an expected occupancy date of Jan. 1, 2009.

Telus has $8.2 billion of annual revenue and 10.3 million customer connections. It provides wireline and wireless communications products and services including data, Internet protocol, voice, entertainment and video services.

The company expanded in Ontario in 2000 with the $6.6-billion purchase of Clearnet Communications and now employs more than 5,200 workers in the province.

Telus shares were trading down 38 cents at $45.02 on the Toronto stock market Monday morning.

I like the design. With the way that the north/south glass facade extending up and out of the structure, the tower might look like Simcoe Place from the lake.

The only loser that this project will bring is probably Scarborough Centre. Two of the three Consilium Place towers have Telus signs on them (one replacing the Transamerica sign). If these go away, and when State Farm also goes away, there will be no corporate signs on any of SCC's office towers.

^ From the news release.

This new office location will also complement TELUS' presence in
Toronto's East End at Consilium Place where 3,000 team members are located.

This is good news, The building looks really different from the other stuff we've got downtown now, which is a plus. It's also good for the east end that Telus plans on keeping its Mobility headquarters at SCC.

Back