913     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 528     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

Cell Phone Locked by Provider

M

MajorComplainer

I just found out that you can only use the same cellphone with the same provider. If you want to switch provider, your phone won't work cause your cellphone's locked by the provider.

I set up a contract with Rogers for 3yr term. I got a free cellphone. Now, if I have fulfilled my 3 yr contract, shouldn't I have "earned" the cellphone? After the term is up, I should be free to use other providers...but my cellphone will NOT work cause my cellphone belongs to Rogers. I think that's WRONG!

The provider should have NO RIGHT to control that especially after I feel like I have earned my phone by fulfilling my obligation with the provider. The phone should be mine and I can use it with whichever provider I want.

:mad:

Does anyone know how/where I can unlock my cellphone?? I heard I can do that at Pacific Mall...but the charge is like $50 bucks!

:mad:

Hold off the steam a bit then call Rogers, they will unlock your phone after your term is over by request.

The charge depends on the phone. For example, to unlock my Sony Ericsson K790a I had to pay 50 euros. The only provider you'll be able to go to is Fido however, as they're the only GSM network in town. Telus and Bell are both CDMA and incompatible.

Depending on the phone, you might be able to find an unlock online if you search for it. Also, you can get it cheap on eBay ($5 for some depending on the phone).

But the best way is to call your provider, and tell them you are travelling to the US or some other country for a mid-term duration (3-6 months for school or work), and that you are still keeping them as a provider but need to use another one.

Saying this may help:
"It's a frickn GSM phone with a SIM card and it's meant exactly for this purpose!"

There's a place at Warden & Hwy 7 named Bongo Wireless. They keep odd hours, but they only deal with unlocking (allowing you to take the phone to other carriers) and debranding (for example, the rogers software on some phones blocks you from using your own ringtones so you are forced to buy from them - debranding removes the rogers custom software and unlocks these features). Pacific mall would be a good place to start, and there's also a kiosk at the eaton centre that i've dealt with before.

It will probably void your phone's warranty, but I if done CORRECTLY, you shouldn't have any difficulties.

And by the way, Rogers will unlock it, but they will probably charge a massive fee. I've heard as high as $300 depending on the lenght of your contract left.... You see, cell phone companies sell you phones at massive discounts to get you to sign a contract. If they didn't lock their phones, then they would be out of business in weeks because people would buy awesome phones then go elsewhere. I'm not saying this is right - I think its downright evil - but I hope this helps in the understanding.

I purchased a k790 from sony themselves for around 400 canadian unlocked. You can get it probably cheaper from ebay or other sites. Pacific mall probably too. I've known a few guys who have picked up phones from easycell.ca and had no issues. For the price you would pay for a new phone on rogers, you might as well spend the extra little bit to buy the unlocked version of it.

But the best way is to call your provider, and tell them you are travelling to the US or some other country for a mid-term duration (3-6 months for school or work), and that you are still keeping them as a provider but need to use another one.

Saying this may help:
"It's a frickn GSM phone with a SIM card and it's meant exactly for this purpose!"

Oh, good idea. But if I lied about going away for 3-6 months, they may want to do all changes and stuff...

There's a place at Warden & Hwy 7 named Bongo Wireless. They keep odd hours, but they only deal with unlocking (allowing you to take the phone to other carriers) and debranding (for example, the rogers software on some phones blocks you from using your own ringtones so you are forced to buy from them - debranding removes the rogers custom software and unlocks these features). Pacific mall would be a good place to start, and there's also a kiosk at the eaton centre that i've dealt with before.

Do you know how much Bongo Wireless charge?

The GSM phone I have, a Sony Ericsson, has software downloaded from their own website that gets around the outrageous prices for ringtones and such through the providers' locks. I know it won't help you specifically, but I was surprised to learn this. Point - check the forums and see if the manufacturers have work-arounds, or if there are other software you can download to do this.

I now have a super-cool ringtone, for free, that is pretty unique and not obnoxious like most music ringtones - Mancini's Peter Gunn theme.

Oh, good idea. But if I lied about going away for 3-6 months, they may want to do all changes and stuff...

I am not sure what you mean by "all changes and stuff".

All they have to do is unlock it, no other changes will be required for the account.

If you mention you are traveling, and that you are going back and forth between two regions, which require two different SIM cards (ie. Rogers in Canada, Cingular/AT&T in the US), and tell them you are still maintaining the old one service, I don't see a problem.

If you want to get tough, or try a different approach, start off by saying that you want to cancel, only because you are going away for a while, and the cheapest way is for you to use the foreign provider to roam while you come back to Canada, since most of your usage with be abroad.

For most providers their lock/unlock "policy" is subjective.

Amazon.com also has lots of unlocked phones for sale. The Motorola Razr's are priced at around $140.

I am not sure what you mean by "all changes and stuff".

All they have to do is unlock it, no other changes will be required for the account.

If you mention you are traveling, and that you are going back and forth between two regions, which require two different SIM cards (ie. Rogers in Canada, Cingular/AT&T in the US), and tell them you are still maintaining the old one service, I don't see a problem.

If you want to get tough, or try a different approach, start off by saying that you want to cancel, only because you are going away for a while, and the cheapest way is for you to use the foreign provider to roam while you come back to Canada, since most of your usage with be abroad.

For most providers their lock/unlock "policy" is subjective.

Thanks for the tips...

Will try the first approach. Don't think the 2nd approach will work as I've signed my life with them. If I cancelled I will have to pay dearly :eek:

So I think I will tell them I'm going to travel back and forth for the next few months...

As always for any cell phone discussion, I highly recommend you check out howardforums.com

I spend as much time on HoFo as I do on here lol.

Back