1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Sandwich Shops (Panera/Pret)

S

samsonyuen

Peter Koven, Financial Post
Published: Saturday, May 06, 2006
The popular U.S. restaurant chain Panera Bread Co. has unveiled plans to enter the Canadian market in 2007, adding another competitor to an already crowded sector.
Panera is a quick-serve chain of so-called "bakery-cafes" based in Richmond Heights, Mo. For people sick of burgers and fries, the company offers premium sandwiches like asiago roast beef or portobello & mozzarella. It also offers a variety of soups, salads and sweets.
Panera is remaining close-mouthed about its Canadian expansion plans, only saying the first restaurant will be open next year. The company will not reveal what markets it plans to enter, or how many restaurants it eventually hopes to open.
"One of the things we've found in the last five to 10 years is this concept translates well regardless of geographic boundaries," said spokesman Mark Crowley. "This is something people are responding well to. It has led us to believe there could be an opportunity in an international market like Canada."
Panera owns and operates almost 900 stores in 36 U.S. states, more than 500 of which are franchised. It is planning to open another 150 to 160 this year. The stores tend to be located in suburban areas, but the company does have a growing urban presence as well.
But it's coming to a market that's already rife with competition. According to analyst Robert Silgardo at Dundee Securities Corp., the barriers to entry in Canada aren't especially strong, but being successful is another matter.
"Your average sandwich is already costing $8. To come in and charge $10, it would be hard to do, especially with gas costing $1 a litre," he said.
While Panera has positioned itself as a higher-end and healthier fast-food option, Mr. Silgardo said it's still going to face tough competition from the likes of McDonald's, Tim Hortons, Subway and Quizno's. Quizno's also marketed itself as a more premium brand when it entered Canada, but recently cut its prices.
"They're all trying to compete for that lunch dollar. McDonald's has their special deals, Wendy's has salads. If they're trying to be more premium than Quizno's, it would be tough. It depends how good they are at marketing," he said.
Location could be a problem as well. According to Mr. Silgardo, it is becoming increasingly hard to find good locations in Ontario. He said Panera might have an easier time in Alberta, where there is no provincial sales tax and more wealth.

According to Mr. Silgardo, it is becoming increasingly hard to find good locations in Ontario. He said Panera might have an easier time in Alberta, where there is no provincial sales tax and more wealth.
Ouch! that hurts.

He said Panera might have an easier time in Alberta, where there is no provincial sales tax and more wealth.

It may be easier in Alberta, where there are fewer foodies than in Toronto, and so the buyers won't turn up their noses at mass market, pre baked offsite bread.

How can a province with Alberta's population have more wealth than Ontario or even just the GTA?

Wealthiest per capita.
True, and Torontonians are known to be pretty stingy. I believe we spend a low %age of our pay check in retail shops compared to the rest of Canada.

I also believe we have one of the highest savings per capita, though that number may be heavily skewed by a few major investors.

It may be easier in Alberta, where there are fewer foodies than in Toronto, and so the buyers won't turn up their noses at mass market, pre baked offsite bread.

Panera bread is not baked offsite. The dough is made offsite and then brought into the locations for on-site baking. It might not be as good as Ace, but it's decent for a sandwich. You don't go there for the bread, you go there for the sandwiches and salads. And since Toronto is a blackhole for sandwich shops, Panera would be welcome. (There are no decent sandwiches available at Yonge & Dundas.)

Unfortunately, Panera has morphed into a suburban monster from its cozy roots as St. Louis Bread Company. I used to eat there regularly in St. Louis, it was a good lunch choice downtown. But all of the new locations are huge suburban restaurants.

What I'd really love to see in downtown TO is Pret which is everywhere in London. Excellent sandwiches, strong flavours, fast service. They took the concept to NY but the selection is smaller and the flavour didn't make it across the Atlantic.

I love Pret a Manger!

Ace bakery bread is also crap, baked 95% off site, and finished locally. Same as any "artisinal' bread you buy in any supermarket.

I love Pret's Ploughman's sandwich. I've never found anybody selling a sandwich like it in TO.

I too have an affinity for London's numerous sandwich shops, including Pret who seem to be EVERYWHERE in the central city.

Finding a quick lunch or snack is never a challenge in London, making it easy to keep moving and sightseeing.

^Probably costing only about 20 pounds a sandwich!! Clafoutis in T.O. is nice. Love their Sandwich Nicoise.

That's funny, when my sister came to visit me in London, all she could carry on about afterwards was the Pret and Nando's (there's only three in GTA)! I myself like EAT. or Starbucks, but that's me. I wouldn't mind a few more sandwich shops. I believe St. Louis Bread Company was bought by Au Bon Pain (which we had in Toronto a long time ago), and then they spun off ABP. Druxy's sandwiches aren't bad!

Toronto is a city that has, inexplicably, been unable to produce a decent bagel or decent smoked meat. It only follows that there is a dearth of decent sandwich places too,

Having said that, the Garage Sandwich Co. on Church Street rocks. They used to have their own outlet north of Wellesley, but they recently moved into one of the grocery stores south of Wellesley (haven't been there since they moved). It's not like Pret, but it is sit-up-and-take-notice good.

Back