549     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 843     0 

CBC: Risk of street collapse closes part of Montreal's core, including subway

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Risk of street collapse closes part of Montreal's core, including subway

2 large cracks discovered in underground tunnel linking malls and subway station
Last Updated: Friday, August 24, 2007 | 4:51 PM ET
CBC News

Police emptied buildings and sealed off a large section of Montreal's downtown core for the weekend, and service was cancelled on part of one subway line after two fissures in a tunnel linking the McGill station to malls were discovered Friday.

"The area is closed to pedestrians as well as businesses," Montreal Mayor Gérald Tremblay said.

Fearing that roads could collapse, Montreal police cleared several city blocks of people in an area bordered by Sherbrooke, St. Catherine and Bleury streets and University Avenue, and shut the streets to traffic.

Although Tremblay had earlier said there was likely no danger to the public, engineers and city officials decided late Friday night to expand the safety perimeter and block off the widened area. Tremblay urged citizens to stay away from the cordoned-off area, which includes hundreds of shops and restaurants, over the weekend.

Bay employees first noticed crack

Problems were first spotted at about 1:30 p.m. ET Friday, when employees working in the basement of the landmark Bay department store on Maisonneuve Boulevard noticed water coming in from a section of the ceiling that had dropped a few centimetres.

Engineers were alerted to one large, seven-metre-long crack in the ceiling of an underground passageway connecting the McGill subway station, malls and The Bay.

Firefighters were called and engineers closed one block of Maisonneuve Boulevard because of fears that the major street could collapse unless the tunnel was reinforced.

montreal-fireftrs-cbc-070824.jpg

A block of Maisonneuve Boulevard was the first to be closed on Friday, after people noticed a seven-metre-long crack in the ceiling of an underground passageway connecting the McGill subway station, malls and The Bay.
(CBC)

Fire Chief Serge Tremblay told reporters about the second fissure in the tunnel later Friday night, but said experts haven't been able to conclude what caused the cracks or how long they had been there.

"It's early to say what are the risks.… Our role is to prepare for the worst and I won't say the worst will happen, but in this case, we need to make sure we are well prepared," he said.

The part of the subway line that serves Montreal's downtown core will also remain closed indefinitely as the McGill station is below the tunnel, Tremblay said.

"There are no problems to the structures of the metro system, but the metro will remain closed until further notice."

No injuries have been reported.

Closure comes amid infrastructure concerns

The CBC's Nancy Wood, reporting from Montreal, said emergency crews wouldn't risk keeping the area open in light of Quebec's infrastructure problems. The collapse of an overpass in Laval in 2006 killed five people.

"They don't take any chances," Wood said. "If they think there is the possibility of something collapsing, they're just going to shut it down for public safety.

"That's what the firefighters are telling us. They have no idea how likely a collapse is, but it's just not worth taking the risk of leaving it open."

City engineers are examining the site and trying to determine if the problem lies in the 100-year-old pipes that lie about five metres below ground level and about five metres above the McGill metro station, where The Bay is located, Wood said.

Métro changes and alternate routes

The collapse forced authorities to close part of the downtown subway service, at least for the weekend.

STM says there will be no service on the Green line between the Berri-UQAM and Lionet-Groulx stations for the weekend.

The transit system will offer temporary bus service between these stations:

Eastbound, on Sainte-Catherine Street.
Westbound, on René-Lévesque Boulevard.

The transit service also suggested riders could take the Orange line between Berri-UQAM and Lionel-Groulx stations.

The Green Line's still not running. An already bad transit system has gotten a lot worse.

I walked through there a few weeks ago. I would have never thought it was close to collapsing.

I'm going to add Montreal civil engineers to the list that includes British cooks, French cops, Italian engineers and German lovers.

I'm going to add Montreal civil engineers to the list that includes British cooks, French cops, Italian engineers and German lovers.
Heaven is ...

Where the police are British,
The cooks are Italian,
The mechanics are German,
The lovers are French and
It's all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is ...

Where the police are German,
The cooks are British,
The Mechanics are French,
The lovers are Swiss and
It's all organized by the Italians.

British cuisine has enjoyed a completely unexpected revolution over the past decade or so - London, believe it or not, is now one of the best cities on earth in which to eat.

I also question the 'German lovers' thing, based on my own quite delightful experiences.

British cuisine has enjoyed a completely unexpected revolution over the past decade or so - London, believe it or not, is now one of the best cities on earth in which to eat.

I thought the food in London was pretty good (I had a steak sandwich at a pub right after getting off the plane, just to spite mad cow and hoof and mouth...I also had perhaps the best Italian food I've ever had in London) but the food in Yorkshire was as bad as I had expected, or hoped, even...memories of those breakfasts in Yorkshire will haunt my dreams forever.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the German thing... maybe in Bavaria, but certainly not true as a whole. Now... British cooking IS attrocious. London is OK, but outside of it, ugh! Definitely the worst place I've ever been for food. Nonetheless, British are a lot more vegetarian friendly than any of the continental neighbours. I wonder if it's the Indian influence.

Back