News   Mar 28, 2024
 728     0 

Sobeys

S

samsonyuen

Sobeys talks tough on Ontario
Thursday, September 8, 2005 Page B9
Canadian Press

STELLARTON, N.S. -- Sobeys Inc., Canada's second-largest supermarket chain, says it's ready to take a bite out of the competition -- particularly in the cutthroat Ontario market -- with an aggressive merchandising plan that helped it ring up a higher first-quarter profit.

CEO Bill McEwan, addressing shareholders at the company's annual meeting yesterday, said he's "bullish" about the future in that key market despite sharpened competition -- a veiled reference to rival Metro Inc.'s recent acquisition of 236 A&P Canada stores.

"Irrespective of the recent changes in the competitive landscape," Mr. McEwan said, "we remain committed to executing our food-focused strategy while continuing to invest aggressively in the growth of our business in Ontario."

Industry observers say Sobeys lost out in bidding for A&P Canada as Metro shelled out $1.7-billion and solidified its standing as the country's No. 3 player.

But Toronto retailing analyst John Winter said it could take Metro years to fully absorb its acquisition, giving Sobeys and Loblaw Cos. time to improve efficiencies.

In the meantime, he said, Sobeys and Loblaw will likely look to expand their respective holdings in key markets with small tuck-in acquisitions. Prospective targets include Highland Farms and Safeway.

Earlier yesterday, Sobeys reported its profit rose to $48.2-million or 74 cents a share from $46.6-million or 71 cents a share during the year-ago quarter. Sales jumped nearly 10 per cent to $3.3-billion from $3.01-billion on company-wide merchandising efforts. Three new stores were opened and three expanded.

Retail: Sobey's - Front/Princess and others

Yes, McDonalds has killed off the McVeggie. They've also discontinued the Toasted Deli Grilled Veggie sandwich. No vegetarian sandwiches now. I refused to eat them anyway since they were the worst fast food veggie sandwiches. Once every six months I'd try them again and then remember how bad they were.

Did anybody notice that the old Burger King on Yonge around Maitland is now going to be a Sobey's Express? I believe they're taking the store next to it, too.

Retail: Sobey's - Front and Princess

What is Sobey's Express?

I apologize if this has already been posted, but i haven't seen it posted.

Would this be the old UpCountry warehouse on the south-west corner? Not in Toronto right now or I'd check it out.
I will jump for joy if this is true!

--------------
The Bulletin- Sobey's

Neighbourhood to welcome new Sobey's
By Anisa Lancione

Construction is underway for a new Sobey's grocery store at the intersection of Front and Princess streets.

While little is currently known about the size of the store or the number of new jobs it will bring to the Neighbourhood, Sobeys spokeswoman Kelly Norgate expects that the grand opening may be held as soon as Sept. 30.

Visit www.thebulletin.ca for updates on this welcome addition to the community.

I work in the office building on that corner and I haven't seen anything but on my walk home from work today I will try to find out where it's going.
It may be one of those Sobey's Express places, like they are building on Yonge north of College. In any event, this spells bad news for Rabba at Front and Sherbourne!

RJR123:

Thanks that'd be great.

Hm, I looked up their website and they have job openings for :
Cake Decorators, Bakery Manager, Deli Clerks, etc for this location.

www.sobeys.com/English/Employment/external.asp

So it would seem that the Sobeys would be big, bigger than Rabba.

The only thing I am thinking is that they have mistaken this intersection for something perhaps in CityPlace (Front W)?

I.E. the 35,000 sq ft store at Luna in Cityplace?

EDIT: Yeap, it's gotta be that. Either a piss poor job of reporting or there are now two Front and Princesses.

But isn't Luna just getting under construction? I'm really hoping it's on Front east because we need something around here better than Rabba!

When I left work yesterday I tried extra hard to find this alleged Sobey's. I didn't see anything remotely resembling a space being converted to a Sobey's.

The first phantom Sobey's perhaps?

I got a call at work on Friday afternoon from Chubb, to say that the motion detector in my house had picked up an intruder ... but none of the doors or windows had been breached! Hmmm ... a phantom signal perhaps?

On Saturday the chubby Chubb man paid a visit. He opened the motion detector ... and found two minute spiders living inside.

RJR, thanks for checking..

Hm...So the mysterious phantom Sobey's plot thickens..

The original article never had a picture, now a picture of the aforementioned old Upcountry warehouse at the South-west corner of Front and Princess is attached to the article.

I just find it curious that something like this goes under the radar if in fact it is Front and Princess as The Bulletin is reporting, and not referring to the 35,000 sq foot one that is already publicized to open in Cityplace which I am suspecting.

I've emailed Sobey's I think I will email The Bulletin..

Article

2.1000939.Sobey_site396.jpg

I doubt this is the location, only because it would be covered with signage announcing the imminent arrival...and I don't see any activity in there at all (my office building is literally right across the street).
I agree with you, I think they have this one wrong, but who knows??

ME:

I recently read off The Bulletin magazine that you are planning on opening a new store at Front and Princess.
.. Can you please tell me if this is true and where the location will be and when you would be planning to open?

RESPONSE:

Thank you for contacting Sobeys Customer Care. We continue to explore real estate opportunities in all markets and will be opening a Price Chopper location at:

2327 Princess Street, Kingston, K7M 3G1 We regret we do not have an opening date at this time.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Helena Burden
Sobeys Ontario Customer Care
:rolleyes

-I sent another email, a little more detailed with a link to the article.
-I have yet to hear back from The Bulletin.

I want someone to say to me conclusively there is no such things as Sobey ghosts. Only then will I crawl back underneath the rock from whence I came..

Back