1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

Saved Bridge: Hogg's Hollow

Lone Primate

Member Bio
Reaction score
Don Mills Willowdale Park Forest something I dunno
This one really knocked me for a loop when I discovered it... one of the reasons I'm so sorry the City Archives has taken the 1947 images out of the open collection.

The 401 bridge across Hogg's Hollow around Yonge Street is, by some estimations I've seen, the busiest highway bridge for commercial traffic in North America these days. I'd always imagined the bridge dated to the early 50s when the 401 was constructed through what was then York County. But in the 1947 shot of the area, I was surprised to find that the bridge (at least one of the central spans) actually started out as a connector for Avenue Road (and Yonge Blvd.) and Yonge Street! There was a need for it at the time, since York Mills Road and Wilson Avenue didn't meet... which you can see at the bottom; Wilson didn't even come down the hill to meet Yonge. I think it's fascinating the see the familiar bend of the 401 over the West Don appearing in images before there even was a 401.

1212398726_40b7ece55e_b.jpg

I've always found it a fascinating story, and I think about it every time I pass over that bridge. I believe the old bridge carries the eastbound express lanes. Its main purpose was to build a high-level bypass of the Yonge section through Hoggs' Hollow, which was very prone to flooding. I'm guessing that's no longer a problem since they built the Lord dam.

Speaking of flooding, I'd love if you could do a history of the infamous Raymore Dr.

I've always found it a fascinating story, and I think about it every time I pass over that bridge. I believe the old bridge carries the eastbound express lanes. Its main purpose was to build a high-level bypass of the Yonge section through Hoggs' Hollow, which was very prone to flooding. I'm guessing that's no longer a problem since they built the Lord dam.

So it's the eastbound express lanes, is it? Thanks, I'd never have been able to tell just by looking. It's going to be fun the next time I drive over that stretch... I tend to stick to the collectors, myself, though. :)

Speaking of flooding, I'd love if you could do a history of the infamous Raymore Dr.

Oh, I've got a fair amount about that... nothing much from the time, other than aerials, but I've got some pictures from the area going back about ten years. They've done some nice things there. I'll have to put together what I've got.

From a book I have called Toronto Past & Present published in 1973. It takes photos from the 20's and onwards and then takes pictures from the same vantage point in 1973. Some amazing stuff.

I too was amazed by this when I saw these two shots.

TOPast&Present1973(67).jpg

TOPast&Present1973(67A).jpg

Wow, nice! It's somehow more impressive that way... a compromise between the God's eye view and something on a more human scale and level.

Hard to believe Avenue Road actually WENT somewhere once, isn't it? :)

Here's the Wiki. As you can see, it was built in 1929--and as a bypassy continuation of Avenue Rd into Yonge, probably helps explain the origins of Highway 11A. It may even qualify as Toronto's first true "motor age" roadway (predating the QEW, the Kingston/Danforth widening, etc).
IIRC the original bridge railings (serving the 401 express lanes) still existed well into the 1970s.

All in all, it might be an interesting database/historical project to inventory all the significant "high level" bridges that popped up between the wars in the aftermath of the Prince Edward Viaduct--across the Don, Hogg's Hollow, the Leaside Viaduct, Bayview/Lawrence; across Taylor Creek, O'Connor; across the Humber, Bloor and Dundas; perhaps also stuff like Spadina across Cedarvale Ravine; and maybe most comparable in its origins with Hogg's Hollow, across Highland Creek, Kingston Rd/Hwy 2A...

1929, that is impressive. I wouldn't have imagined that early. I wonder what everyone thought about the bridge being used for the 401 nearly 25 years later.

Sure they do....

images

lol @ earlscourt lad. great shot. you might like the old barton street incline railway in hamilton then.

the weston streetcar used to regularly pop the circut breakers trying to make it up the hill from black creek to rogers road.

ed007, i see the two pictures you posted to this thread are gone, would you send them to me or repost them for me please?

Attachments

• dq3.jpg
    dq3.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 770
Is this the bridge at 401/Yonge where there has been CONSTANT construction for like at least 6 years now?

Back