News   Apr 18, 2024
 961     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 293     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 647     1 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
E

Ed007Toronto

1StThomasRender.jpg

Developer: Lee Development Group
Architect: Robert A.M. Stern
Planning Docs: Final Report, Toronto East York Community Council
Designation: Residential
Expected Occupancy: 2007
Height:
Floors: 29
Size:
Value:

Photos on 2006.07.22

20060722-OneStThomas001.jpg

West view, along Charles St.

20060722-OneStThomas002.jpg

Close up of West facade.

20060722-OneStThomas003.jpg

Street level - the limestone matches the precast on the rest of the building very well. It's actually fairly difficult to tell the two materials apart as used.

20060722-OneStThomas004.jpg

Looking up.

20060722-OneStThomas005.jpg

Looking west, at Bay and Charles.

AoD

looks great... I like the bay windows quite a bit.

I don't want to get this thread off topic, but I don't know where else to ask about those derelict Victorians across the street. Anyone know what's in store for them?

Minto is planning a condo for that side of the street.

Although I'm not a huge fan of this sort of faux design, they're doing a good job of it.

There's actually been a lawsuit filed against the future Minto tower by the future residents of 1 St Thomas. They claim the new building will block their views. Just when you thought people couldn't get any stoopider...

^ people who live in glass houses.

I bet one resident is a lawyer.

Although I'm not a huge fan of this sort of faux design, they're doing a good job of it.

I agree its looking good. I think the bay windows, which look like they will have panels inserted, are evidence of a concious attempt not to do the faux-historic but to do an modern interpretation of a historic theme.

concious attempt not to do the faux-historic but to do an modern interpretation of a historic theme.

Which is what Robert A.M. Stern does with every building he designs.

Agreed, most celebrity architects have a signature look which they offer variants of.

I don't know. It kind of looks like a piece of Mulroney Revival architecture to me.

I don't know. It kind of looks like a piece of Mulroney Revival architecture to me.

Ok, I'll bite - what does "Mulroney Revival" mean aside from nothing in particular?

80s Retro. Back when "Postmodern Classicism" was subversive cool...

Back