News   Mar 28, 2024
 130     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 236     0 

Edge Lofts Condos (Streetcar Development) - Real Estate -

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am first-timer who just bought there.

I am curious to see who else has bought, what their experiences have been, and what they liked about the development.

I liked the small size of the building (6 floors), modern architecture, and simple amenities. I also liked the large balconies on most units. The price was OK, too.

The location is so-so (sort of a no-man's-land right now: it's in limbo between the downtown core and Leslieville, but hopefully that will change with the Donlands project).

Any insight or thoughts about the developer, Streecar, would be welcomed, too!

Thanks.

I'm willing to bet that just as surely as God made little green apples you're bound to meet a few of your new neighbours, right here on this very forum.

Edge lofts kind of buildings are much smarter investments than any highrise with 400 units. The only problem I see with Edge is the location--overlooking the DVP I believe. However, if you have an alley view, should be okay.

This may sound like a stupid question but do you have to pay maintenance fees with lofts similar to condo fees? Imo those maintenance fees are total waste of money which is why I'd rather buy a dump in East Hamilton or @Dupont and Symmington.

I'm willing to bet that just as surely as God made little green apples you're bound to meet a few of your new neighbours, right here on this very forum.

That's assuming that the poster's fellow sales reps on the project are also purchasers.

Edge lofts kind of buildings are much smarter investments than any highrise with 400 units. The only problem I see with Edge is the location--overlooking the DVP I believe. However, if you have an alley view, should be okay.

This may sound like a stupid question but do you have to pay maintenance fees with lofts similar to condo fees? Imo those maintenance fees are total waste of money which is why I'd rather buy a dump in East Hamilton or @Dupont and Symmington.

I agree - the DVP view is generally not that nice to look at, although it provides a good night time view of the downtown skyline. I got a unit facing the other way (west) because the DVP side is very, very noisy (actually, the whole area is quite noisy due to the queen streetcars going up/down the hill).

As for fees, yes, they are required. It's about 34 cents per square feet. Even they call the building "lofts," I think it's just marketing. For all intents and purposes (and legally), it is just a condo with 10 ft ceillings.

I tried to find a place with minimal amenities to keep the fees low. I find the 34 cents somewhat high given that there are essentially no amenities other than a rooftop garden. I think condo fees in general are a thinly-disguised money grab.

My two cents

I agree - the DVP view is generally not that nice to look at, although it provides a good night time view of the downtown skyline. I got a unit facing the other way (west) because the DVP side is very, very noisy...

Just wondering, if you face away from dvp, isn't that an east view?
My two cents - I love the building and I like the location enough. I was helping a friend look for a place and from what I've read and heard, Streetcar seems to be solid builders. I love what they are doing or trying to do to the east side. My issues with this development is the same as others have noted - it's a bit too close to the dvp. not that the view of it is bad, just worried about the noise and pollution.
...and my one knock on Streetcar developments is that their layouts can be improved. Hopefully you got a good one.

Just passed by the location today==the worst possible place to buy a new condo imo! New mostly glass condos are noisy places to live--the area is worse than cityplace. Why not save a bit longer (2 years perhaps) for a bigger down payment on a house in leslieville?

Just passed by the location today==the worst possible place to buy a new condo imo! New mostly glass condos are noisy places to live--the area is worse than cityplace. Why not save a bit longer (2 years perhaps) for a bigger down payment on a house in leslieville?

yes, I hear you. The location leaves much to be desired, and will be noisy. At least I am facing away from the DVP (East).

Why did I buy? I liked the building mostly. Also, I wanted a change of scenery from CityPlace where I am renting (Hahaha...so I should be used to noise and highway onramps). On top of that, I basically got tired of renting, looked the numbers, and decied I should buy (current rent approx. equals interest on mortgage plus condo fees/tax).

I do like the neighbourhood deeper into Leslieville, so maybe I will look for a house in a few years.

Thanks for all the comments. Great board!

Edge will be fantastic!

Hey, I think the Edge is in a fantastic location. I have also purchased in the building with an East view. We are excited to move in and since we walked out of the sales centre last fall we are impressed with what has happened to the neighborhood. Anyone who directly compares this project with that of City Place is not very dialed in to what is going on. This place has community, and is a different type of residence all together. As for the comments about the DVP, yes that is a downside, but every project has one. The access to Queen, the bike trails, shops and restaurants puts this in a class very different from that of your Lakeshore highrises. Plus it will be a beautiful structure. Urban does not see the benefits of such a site and probably does not realize what Leslieville's housing prices will be like in 2 years. We are also first time buyers, and another 2 years savings would likely mean we missed the boat on living in such a wonderful neighborhood.

We are also first time buyers, and another 2 years savings would likely mean we missed the boat on living in such a wonderful neighborhood.[/QUOTE]

Howdy, neighbours-to-be!

just wonderin'...

for you buyers of edgelofts, did the builder mention any special attention to the sound insulation? just curious with all the glass if they did some kind of double insulation or anything like that to account for the dvp. and did any of you get one of the rooftop terraces? if so, what was the cost?

Spin doesn't require anyone to actually purchase anything.

You have to admit, though, that the sales reps that are posting in this forum are getting more sophisticated. It's become a good-cop/bad-cop routine now. One posts mildly negative reviews (bad-cop) of the project to disspell any notion that they are linked to the project, and then suddently yet another newbie (three and counting for a small condo project) posts a rebuttal (good cop) extolling the virtues, allowing bad-cop to see the light. It's fun to sit back and read this stuff!

for you buyers of edgelofts, did the builder mention any special attention to the sound insulation? just curious with all the glass if they did some kind of double insulation or anything like that to account for the dvp. and did any of you get one of the rooftop terraces? if so, what was the cost?

Hey kdub, I just checked the Disclosure Statement - they mention the inclusion of "noise control features" in the development and within the units, but continue with the ominous warning that "noise levels from increasing road traffic and transit operations, will continue to be of concern, occassionally interfering with some activities of the dwelling occupants, as the noise levels exceed the City's and the Ministry of the Environment's noise criteria."

I guess we'll see how it plays out. I hope the TTC gets those new quiet streetcars soon!

As for terraces, I did not purchase one as they were too expensive. When I bought the unit in July, though, terraces were going for $45,000 (502 square feet). The ones reserved for certain suites are going for $27K - 34K.

Does anyone have experience with parking/locker combos? I got one but can't really visualize how those work. Is there enough room to store a bike? Can you access the locker with a car in the parking spot? I would like to rent out the parking spot, but would like to use the locker and am wondering if that's feasible.

Back