News   Apr 19, 2024
 132     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 471     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 660     1 

Corktown District Phase 2 (Streetcar, 8s, Quadrangle)

beaconer

Member Bio
Reaction score
510 King Street East
http://www.corktowndistrict.com
Just one building.

Much bigger than the other three buildings on phase 1. Dark brick like Academy Lane lofts.. Looks like 7 stories.

Also Looks like it will have a nice view of the Don Valley Park if/when it gets finished.

With these four buildings going up it certainly is going to change Corktown.

510 King Street East
http://www.corktowndistrict.com
Just one building.

Much bigger than the other three buildings on phase 1. Dark brick like Academy Lane lofts.. Looks like 7 stories.

Also Looks like it will have a nice view of the Don Valley Park if/when it gets finished.

With these four buildings going up it certainly is going to change Corktown.
Every day I drive down River and along King to Parliament I see Corktown and can't help but feel that it's on the cusp of great things.

Went to the grand opening today.

Sales said they were about 100 of 185 units sold. The preview opening was Thursday. A lot of red dots on unit numbers

All units have 10 ft ceilings and the 2nd and 3rd floor have 11.5 ft ceilings.

Their scheduled occupancy is January 2010.

Here is a sample of some of the prices from the sheet they gave.

Unit# BR's Size Price
224 1 653sf $263,900
202 1+D 756sf $293,900
714 1+D 745sf $312,900
203 2 1082sf $432,900
221 2+d 1429sf $544,900

Pretty much the whole BJL team were there. The showroom has a layout that reminds me of an art gallery.

I asked what the cheapest one they have available and it was units #218,#219, 485sf with a 84sq ft terrace (569sqft) and they go for $204,900. Both units have a western back alley view.

Prices are not that bad considering the second and third floor have 11.6 foot ceilings and the rest have 10. Also, from the floor plans, it looks like every single unit had healthy sized balconies or terraces.

It also seems they changed the planning of all four buidlings, and have moved all common ammenities of all four buildings of phase 1 and 2 into this one.

The standard finishes looked very nice. Polished concrete floors, but faux "reclaimed" brick and wood beam walls, finished ceilings.

Just some further info, about the building in relation to the West Donland plans: From what I have read, across the street from this building is block 23 of the West Donland Precinct Plan, which will be the first block built in the plan. The first building of which will be a TCHC building, sitting directly across the street from this building at the intersection of St Lawrence and King.

I guess that can mean many things, but from a pure investment standpoint, it's not a plus.

Unit# BR's Size Price
224 1 653sf $263,900
202 1+D 756sf $293,900
714 1+D 745sf $312,900
203 2 1082sf $432,900
221 2+d 1429sf $544,900

Pretty much the whole BJL team were there. The showroom has a layout that reminds me of an art gallery.

I asked what the cheapest one they have available and it was units #218,#219, 485sf with a 84sq ft terrace (569sqft) and they go for $204,900. Both units have a western back alley view.

Prices are not that bad considering the second and third floor have 11.6 foot ceilings and the rest have 10. Also, from the floor plans, it looks like every single unit had healthy sized balconies or terraces.

It also seems they changed the planning of all four buidlings, and have moved all common ammenities of all four buildings of phase 1 and 2 into this one.

The standard finishes looked very nice. Polished concrete floors, but faux "reclaimed" brick and wood beam walls, finished ceilings.

Just some further info, about the building in relation to the West Donland plans: From what I have read, across the street from this building is block 23 of the West Donland Precinct Plan, which will be the first block built in the plan. The first building of which will be a TCHC building, sitting directly across the street from this building at the intersection of St Lawrence and King.

I guess that can mean many things, but from a pure investment standpoint, it's not a plus.

Thanks for the update...when you said they 'changed the planning of all four buidlings' what does that mean (other than the fact that all the amenities are in CD2)?

VoiceOfReality,

Poorly worded on my part. Yes, I was only talking about the ammenities (gym and party room). I believe it was originally going to be in one of the other buildings. All four buildings will share the facilities in the new phase 2building.

VoiceOfReality,

Poorly worded on my part. Yes, I was only talking about the ammenities (gym and party room). I believe it was originally going to be in one of the other buildings. All four buildings will share the facilities in the new phase 2building.

Thanks!

Every day I drive down River and along King to Parliament I see Corktown and can't help but feel that it's on the cusp of great things.

It definitely is. That's where I live, just east of Parliament off King, and I can tell this place is only going to get better. It's already lined with nice little cafes and shops, and with the new lofts, and Don Lands project to the southeast, the next few years are going to be great.

Unit# BR's Size Price
224 1 653sf $263,900
202 1+D 756sf $293,900
714 1+D 745sf $312,900
203 2 1082sf $432,900
221 2+d 1429sf $544,900

What is TCHC building? what does it stand for?

TCHC = Toronto Community Housing Corp.

Block 23 is the land right at the corner of King E and St Lawrence. A 6-9 story TCHC building is going there - I understand that this was going to be used for RGI housing for Regents Park residents being relocated. Block 21 just to the south of this will be two rows of townhomes, one stacked TCHC set and one of market units.

The Architects for this are Baird Sampson Neuert. The design panel has already taken a look at their site plan.

Changes to Phase 2 - MAJOR!

Just curious if anyone is experiencing problems with the new changes to 510 King E. Our 2 bedroom 2 bath has now become a 1 bed 1 bath and the options are very slim to change units, and they are charging us as well. They want 4k per floor to move up each floor (there's no view in the area!) and their calculations seem a bit off in what they are offering to reimburse us. Their whole price list has changed big time and the prices are now through the roof. We are quite concerned this is a scam to get more money. We purchased a year ago and now are very nervous about continuing to invest in this building and now looking at having to pay (not by choice) over 400k for two bedroom condo that we originally purhcased for 350 because of all the changes imposed by this urban design review board.

Is anyone in the same boat? What power do we have in this situation? We are essentially being forced out if you can't pay the difference to choose one of the available units. The prices are high for an area not quite happening yet.

Does anyone know anything about this review panel? Was that something that HAD to be done, or something Streetcar submitted to for accolades or designations by the city? It's all so strange that this project has changed to dramatcially and the way we were informed was very unprofessional....we are very disappointed with all this....any info would be helpful! Thanks!

Changes to Corktown phase 2 - 510 King Street East

I posted something elsewhere, but wanted to start a new discussion to meet others also experiencing problems due to the MAJOR changes Streetcar has just shown owners of 510 King Street East. What a nightmare!

I'm a little skeptical of how all this happened...does anyone know anything about this Urban Design Review Panel that imposed this major overhaul of the building, including significant changes to the units? Was this necessary by law and the city or something Streetcar did for their own credentials? I don't know why this has happened but they have supposedly never had an issue like this before.

I'm worried we're getting scammed and would appreciate hearing any feedback you have to offer. They were not upfront about how significant these changes were and now we're up against the wall trying to decide what to do. They turned our 2 bed 2 bath into a 1 bed 1 bath and reduced our ceiling height from 11'9" to 10ft and took 100 sq ft off. We clearly can't take the unit we purchased anymore and they want to charge 4k per floor to move up and we will have to pay the difference if we choose a larger unit...it's all a little sketchy and we're nervous to keep our investment with them.

Thanks! :)

Back