ALSO
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kipling subway station

notyouagain Guest

Default Kipling subway station

Ont. to reveal multimillion-dollar plan to redevelop Kipling Station
    Last Updated: Monday, August 13, 2007 | 11:19 AM ET
    CBC News
    Toronto's Kipling Station will be turned into a major transit hub in a multimillion-dollar redevelopment, the Ontario government is expected to announce Monday.

CBC News has learned that Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield and Environment Minister Laurel Broten are set to announce around 1 p.m. ET that the western-most subway station on the Bloor-Danforth line will undergo a massive overhaul.

The new transit hub will include an inter-regional bus terminal to move commuters more quickly and conveniently between Mississauga Transit and GO buses to connecting TTC subway and GO Transit trains. It will also include more passenger pickup and dropoff locations.

"A new Kipling station will mean better transit for families in Etobicoke and Mississauga," a government source told CBC News.

The province and GO Transit are investing $30 million over three years to redevelop and build the new transit terminal, sources say. Mississauga is contributing $5.5 million to the project.

Construction is expected to begin next year with a completion date set for 2010.

The station will be fully accessible for people with disabilities and LEED certified as a green building. It will be built with renewable and low-emission construction materials.

2. Default Kipling Station

Here's the official news release:

http://ogov.newswire.ca/ontario/GPOE...=&lang=_e.html

from the Star

Kipling to be western transit hub

Aug 13, 2007 03:45 PM
    Tamara Cherry
    Staff Reporter

Commuters coming into Toronto from west of the city will have an easier time getting around with the construction of a transit hub at Kipling station, transportation authorities announced today.

Construction of the $30.5 million interregional terminal will begin next year with completion slated for 2010.

Currently the main transfer point between Mississauga Transit and the TTC is at Islingon, whereas the main TTC/GO Transit transfer point is at Kipling.

The new hub will replace congestion felt at Islington subway station, where the bulk of Mississauga commuters currently access GO Transit via the TTC subway to Kipling, said GO Transit chairman Peter Smith.

With Mississauga Transit bringing riders to Kipling station, commuters will be able to access GO Transit directly, rather than hopping on a TTC train from Islington station.

The environmentally friendly building will be wheelchair accessible, said Ontario’s Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield.

“We want this terminal to be a people place,” said Cansfield. “The bottom line is getting people out of their car and onto public transit.”

Mississauga mayor Hazel McCallion said the hub is essential in ensuring “there are no roadblocks” in commuters’ way.

“The future is rosy, very rosy for public transit in the greater Toronto area,” McCallion said.

The CBC reported on the 6 pm news that Mississauga plans for a light rail line from Kipling station to run on Dundas.

Also, there was talk of an LRT to the airport from Kipling station.

^ I certainly wouldn't put much credibility in the first of those statements. Miss. has other priorities, notably the busway roughly paralleling Hwy. 403, and the Hurontario line. Both of these are major projects. I haven't heard serious discussion about any kind of line along Dundas Street. Sounds like someone's wishful thinking.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Observer Walt View Post
    ^ I certainly wouldn't put much credibility in the first of those statements. Miss. has other priorities, notably the busway roughly paralleling Hwy. 403, and the Hurontario line. Both of these are major projects. I haven't heard serious discussion about any kind of line along Dundas Street. Sounds like someone's wishful thinking.
    The combined Peel Region presentation at the past GTTA meeting talked about the Dundas line. The first phase would be from Kipling to Hurontario, and it would eventually go to UTM and South Common... But at this point, it's a wish list from the planning department - nothing more than a line drawn on a map.
    Visions For The GTTA A blog about all things urban and regional.

- "But what do I know, I'm just a transportation planner. No one listens to me."

Blog Entries

Does anyone know about the progress (planning) of the new office building at islington station (SNC...)?

8. Default

Actually, the Dundas LRT line from Hurontario to Kipling got funding alredy in the Move Ontario 2020 plan. But ya, of three main projects, I think it'd likely be the last to go through. I wonder if the new terminal will include provisions for it or not, but considering the fact that 2020 was announced so late, I doubt it.

Btw, are there any renderings of the new terminal or is it a little premature?

9. Default

I remember seeing some floating around the internet when the Pape redesign was announced. Check Spacing.ca... I think that's where I saw one of Kipling.
    Visions For The GTTA A blog about all things urban and regional.

- "But what do I know, I'm just a transportation planner. No one listens to me."

10. Default

Good news!

Quote Originally Posted by taal View Post
    Does anyone know about the progress (planning) of the new office building at islington station (SNC...)?
    That was first mentioned in this thread, but is most fully discussed here.

Quote Originally Posted by jeicow View Post
    Btw, are there any renderings of the new terminal or is it a little premature?
    This is all I've seen so far, and it looks like a crappy mishmash to me:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13. Default

I wonder where on the existing property that is? Where would this be in relation to the tracks and the new condo development next doo?

That image is pretty underwhelming.

You can locate this through the hydro substation at the bottom of the image. Check out the Google Maps satellite image, and you'll see where it is. Oh - and that's Dundas in the upper left corner.

Essentially the existing Kiss'n'Ride and access road (Subway Cr.) and parking lots to the west of Aukland Rd. will be completely made over.

This is all I've seen so far, and it looks like a crappy mishmash to me:
    Crappy mishmash it is.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast