News   Mar 28, 2024
 146     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Ont Gov't building at 880 Bay, at Grosvenor St (ORC, 44s?, WZMH)

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
The non-descript 5-6 story govt building immediately to the North of Burano on the West side of Bay appears to be emptying out with some temporary exhibits taking space.

I expect we'll see a new development announced soon.

great news! But the 60's gov't building just north of this one--the concrete Clewes I call it--is one of my favourite office buildings in Toronto. That's actually what i'd like to see Clewes do: a precast interpretation of that building! (Less glass, more precast--imagine that!)

Proposed name for the development: The Bureaucratic On Bay
will be quickly sold out thanks to all those Ontario gov't employees....

I used to work there, if you mean the 900 Bay complex. You should definitely check out the whole inside of the complex. It's really impressive in that optimistic 60s kind of way, and the OPP and Leg Security have been mumbling about closing it to the public for a while now.

I believe the ORC determined this site was surplus a few months ago so it's not surprising that it may be on the auction block.

I'm pretty sure that building is not for sale. Several ministries have large offices in that building and I know that the top floor is being renovated in the fall to accomodate a new branch from a ministry. Also, the exhibit on street level by the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration is where the Bank of Montreal used to be before it moved to ROCP. I am sure it's just a matter of time before they find a new tenant.

I work for the province and have friends in this building. I asked a guy the other day if he was moving out and he said his group would still be there for a while. I'd imagine the long-term goal is to surplus the building, but I wouldn't expect anything soon. Things move slowly in government.

880 Bay St (at Grosvenor St)

This building seems to be emptying out in a serious way. Its the non-descript 8 story building immediately south of the MacDonald Block. Another condo?

Ugh. I work there. We keep being threatened to move elsewhere, but the story keeps changing. I believe after March sometime my offices will be moving from the 5th floor to the first, so the reasons for it clearing out don't actually have anything to do with a planned condo, though, ultimately, I'm sure that's what will happen.

Did you know you can get from that building to the Queen's Park station indoors? It's pretty cool.

This building seems to be emptying out in a serious way. Its the non-descript 8 story building immediately south of the MacDonald Block. Another condo?

Condo is not currently planned, it is my understanding that the provincial government is potentially considering a new office tower in this location.

My understanding is the OPS is very short on office space and leases are up soon at various locations. They are looking for long-term solutions. Archivist, how do you get from 880 to Queen's Park? I work in that area and would love a quick route to the QP stn

Back