Toronto The Modern | ?m | 17s | Empire | DTAH

R

RJR123

I noticed that hoarding has gone up at the north-west corner of Richmond and Sherbourne. There was also some light digging going on over the weekend. Does anyone know what is going on here? This used to be the deck of the adjoining, now defunct restaurant (which failed miserably, both as its first incarnation as an Italian restaurant, and then as a Peel Pub!).

Last I heard it was going to be a six storey building with retail at the base, a couple of floors of office space topped with some residential. Building housing the restaurant would come down along with the patio.

Excellent news! I'm praying 101gas.com or whatever that station across the street is called will also be demolished soon. Also Centre Honda.

There was a plan floating around a few years back for 101 Sherbourne. A 10-15 storey condo IIRC. Died for some reason. I think the 101 lot and Centre Honda are owned by the same people.

^do you know that it has died - a few of the current residential developments in the city took years to go from proposal to sales/construction

When I first moved to this neighbourhood the plan for 101gas.com was in its dying throes. The plan, at that time, was for a townhouse development there. The developer backed out even after sales began. I recall that Brad Lamb was involved in the project and in a newspaper interview was quite upset that the developer backed out, intimating that the sales threshold was high enough to commence construction.

I don't know for sure but some of the owners in the area indicated to me they thought it had died.

Last I heard it was going to be a six storey building with retail at the base, a couple of floors of office space topped with some residential. Building housing the restaurant would come down along with the patio.
Good to hear! Mixed use is always a good thing. Also, that corner still needs a tonne of help. I think it's also safe to say that the division line between nice and not-so-nice is moving north from Richmond, slowly to Queen.

In other news, as much as I'd love to see 101 Gas Dot Com (and Centre Honda) come down, I'd hate to lose King Palace foods!

Also Centre Honda.
What's wrong with Centre Honda? I see no point in driving big business out of the area. IMO, the building of the new Volvo dealership did wonders to improve the Dundas & River area. And...that new BMW dealership on Eastern or Lakeshore is a fantastic addition to the skyline, IMO.

Now, Centre Honda could certainly use a facelift or rebuild, but don't push them out of town.

The Volvo is hardly a wonder - actually its more of a pre-cast eyesore

Compared to what was there before (i.e. a dirty, semi-abandoned looking warehouse) it's much improved. That's just my opinion though. I imagine even Regent Park's architecture has its fans, even today.

Sure it does. Why else is one of the Dickinson towers listed?

"Compared to what was there before "

haven't a clue to what was there before but it couldn't be any worse than a setbacked garage and docking facilities with surface parking between it and the sidewalk

Darkstar, I love King Palace as well! Your comments about the changing dividing line between nice and not-so-nice are very accurate. It seems that the wave is moving north as well with a number of recent projects. I think the closing of the Canada Tavern, at Queen and Sherbourne was seminal. However, I would never live at that intersection no matter how nice the project.
At least we now have a Dollarama in the spot formerly housing the No Frills!

Back