News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

2003 Municipal Election: Exit poll: It's Miller

B

borgos

Exit poll: It's Miller

42,599 cast ballots in advance of Nov. 10

By BRETT CLARKSON AND HIMANI EDIRIWEERA, TORONTO SUN

It's Miller time, according to an informal Sun exit poll conducted yesterday outside two polling stations on the last day of what's been a very busy municipal election advance poll. Election officials said more than 50% more voters took advantage of the advance polling than in 2000.

Voters leaving polling stations at the Etobicoke Civic Centre on The West Mall, and Lord Dufferin Public School on Parliament St. indicated David Miller is holding his lead in the race for Toronto mayor, followed by John Tory, and Barbara Hall.

REVEAL THEIR VOTE

"I can't stand John Tory and I can't stand what's-her-face -- (both) Pam McConnell and Barbara Hall," Miller supporter Kathleen Hill said.

Out of 41 people who agreed to reveal their vote, 19 said they supported Miller. Tory placed second with 10 votes, while former mayor Hall earned seven. Longshot Tom Jakobek received three votes, while two people said they supported John Nunziata.

"I can't see Barbara Hall coming back as mayor," Gerry Speyer said. "She wants to do all these things, but -- there's just no money."

"Barbara Hall already had one kick at the can, that's enough," William John Smith, who favoured Tory, said.

SUN SURVEY

The exit polling mirrors a Sun survey published last week, in which 36% of decided respondents supported Miller, 30% backed Tory, and Hall held 25% of the decided vote.

Election officials said 42,599 voters cast ballots in advance of the Nov. 10 election -- 10,899 at City Hall and the city's five civic centres during the week and 31,700 at this weekend's 44 advance voting places.

In 2000, only 26,405 voted in advance.

On election day, 1,618 locations will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. for the city's 1.7 million eligible voters. Anyone who is unsure if they are on the voters' list, should call 416-338-1111.

Yes, it is a small sample size. But what's impressive is that Miller is substantially ahead even though one of the two polling stations is in suburban Etobicoke. This is very encouraging. Miller supporters, one week left to go. Your help is critical. Talk to your friends, colleagues, neighbours and acquaintances about David. Personal one-on-one appeals are much more effective than Tory's slick tv ads.

MILLER ALL THE WAY!!!

41 votes... they wrote an article based upon an exit poll that interviewed 41 voters...

Please kill me now.

Back