News   Apr 19, 2024
 516     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 868     3 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

R

rdaner

Dufferin Jog

I know that there are plans floating around to fix the awkwardness of Dufferin as it approaches King Street. It seems that this could be an oppurtunity to create another traffic circle in the city on par with Queen's Park and Spadina Circle. Does anyone know if there is room to do this?

Unknown</title>
<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>
</post>
<post>
<thread>N</thread>
<threadtitle>Question about Dufferin Jog</threadtitle>
<threadviews>392</threadviews>
<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>
<

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>
</post>
<post>
<thread>N</thread>
<threadtitle>Question about Dufferin Jog</threadtitle>
<threadviews>392</threadviews>
<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>
<poll></poll>
<username>TdotTrickyRicky</username>
<dateline>1117570920</dateline>
<title></title>
<pagetext>In my opinion traffic circle = why bother?

^because they're safer and move traffic more efficiently. how they affect pedestrians is debatable.

The only ones I've seen so far are simple, one-lane installations in quiet residential neighbourhoods. What makes me really nervous is that whenever people on the forum suggest them, they seem to be at intersections of streets that are at least two lanes.
waterloo, cambridge, hamilton, kemptville, and ottawa have them on main streets and a couple of them have two lanes. www.roundabouts.ca has videos - see? no traffic chaos. not only do people figure out how to use them, but they're safer than signals. this is from the same site:

Increased Safety: A study of 24 intersections conducted for the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, entitled “Crash Reductions Following Installation of Roundabouts in the United Statesâ€, concluded that roundabouts:

Reduced collisions of all types by 39%;
Reduced injury collisions by 76%; and
Reduced fatal and incapacitating collisions by about 90%.

This is because roundabouts create slower speeds, fewer conflict points for pedestrians and motorists, and reduced collision angles.

It might be worth noting that none of those roundabouts are in an urban setting. We're talking a whole different kettle of fish here.

true enough, and i'm not saying this is necessarily a good spot for one. i'm just talking about roundabouts in general. there's no reason toronto drivers can't figure them out.

But re things like the Dufferin Jog, we're dealing w/a whole set of a priori urban conditions--which is why it's more advisable, in the end, to jack up and extend the existing bridge and drill Dufferin straight through (IIRC the actual plan).

In this kind of a priori situation, the argument for urban roundabouts on a "traffic flow" basis is almost as loaded as the argument for urban expressways...

"In this kind of a priori situation, the argument for urban roundabouts on a "traffic flow" basis is almost as loaded as the argument for urban expressways..."

Well said.

The most interesting part of the CAMH redevelopment is the extension of the street grid, in particular of Adelaide St to the west and Ossington Ave to the south to intersect.

A similar thing that's going on close by is the elimination of the Dufferin St jog. I don't know if anyone has any recent info on how this project is proceeding, but an internet search uncovered funds for it in the Toronto 2007 Budget. It seems to be a big project to construct an underpass. But it'll be good to have Dufferin St finally reconnected.

I noticed en route to the Spacing launch that there's demolition and road blockage on Dufferin going south into the jog--too dark and in-passing to see *what* was going on, exactly...

Asylum/Dufferin jog

www.parkdaleliberty.ca/in...fferin+jog

Dufferin jog to be no more in 2009

Dufferin is also supposed to be extended to Lakeshore in the Ex as part of a plan to facilitate development of the western ex. grounds.

The Dufferin bridge over the Gardiner will need to be replaced when streetcars run over it as part of the western waterfront lrt and to provide transit to the western Ex grounds.

The local portion of the Front Street Extension will terminate at Dufferin just north of the Gardiner. This road will be a rat run as it will have few stops and almost no buildings on it, street crossings, people etc.

The original aquarium box which was to have been built on the parklands in the western Ex grounds with a 600 car parking lot gave the excuse that the site was too isolated; lack of direct transit service to downtown and road infrastructure. Pantalone has bee spending money left and right to make this last piece of green space in the Ex grounds attractive to development. Because the Ex is immune from site plan control community input there's no protection for the parklands.

Re: Asylum/Dufferin jog

2009? That's a long time to build an underpass isn't it?

May 13 from Dufferin/Peel intersection:

DuffJog.jpg

May 30 from railway:

Dufferin.jpg

This one is much more complicated than Simcoe because the rail line runs at an angle to the street. Right now most of the railway bridges end directly over the future path of Dufferin street, so they'll have to be extended (replaced) while maintaining rail service through the area.

Back