Toronto SIX50 King West | ?m | 16s | Freed | Core Architects

Jayomatic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on this project. I believe its Freed Development but not sure.

Yes, it is from Freed. From what I understand Freed and the city are still negotiating set-backs. There is already a waiting list for the units (there will be just over 200 of them).

Freedville is the new Yorkville

this area of the city is becoming my favourite. I'd like to see what freed can do with red brick instead of minimalistic white + glass. There's still many parking lots (and a few ugly office buildings to implode) to fill but within 5-10 years, I believe the area will become the new "yorkville." Everyone on Stewart St seems to drive either a Mini Cooper, Audi A4 or BMW--kind of disgusting in a way but it will be interesting to see if the city will allow Portland St (i'm thinking of those rundown old houses) to become the new John St---ie little cafes in those houses; plus some retail on Bathurst St etc. Overall, if i don't buy a house in Dovercourt Village (cheap and rundown i love it!) i may just join the spoilt kids and buy from the monopolistic freed.

Are there any city planning doc's showing renderings about this 650 king st w proposal?

i may just join the spoilt kids and buy from the monopolistic freed

There are some pretty powerful industry insiders living on Stewart in some great looking penthouses

Executive Inn owner is a happy man

Let's see: first before area becomes trendy he takes rundown but hot modernist architecture and ruins it by turning it into suburban stucco money maker. Then Freed moves in. Buys up the land and builds highend condos. Eventually, luxury Freed and aLoft hotels open. Mr Inn Keeper shall then lose some business and sell out at enormous price to Mr Freed hence becoming a Mr X Innkeeper. Mr X Innkeeper is very happy with $30 million buyout; Stewart St Rich kids are happy (until the pile drivers arrive;)) that ugly noisinn is gone; Mr Freed is happy that he can make another $100,000/unit sold on the new "Rich Kids' Inn" condo. Completion date: 2014.

Pipe dream? I hope not because X Inn is uglier than Sin.

650 is the third building east of Bathurst on the north side of King, putting it directly north of the Executive Inn.

As much as I like the scale and appearance of the developments in the area I get worried when they start taking down existing office buildings. It would be a shame if the whole place becomes primarily residential.

any idea if they are combining the surface parking lot facing Bathurst with this development?

Does anyone know which building this is in particular? There are a number of fairly handsome 4-5 storey brick buildings on the north side of King along there...

The building in question (to be torn down) looks to have been built in the 50's or early 60's. It's not in great shape and most certainly not one of the better examples along King.

As for the parking lot, as the building is to be "L" shaped, I can imagine that this lot will be used.

A quick ride-by shot. Certainly not that much of an office building.

King2.jpg

The Executive Motor Hotel (Travelodge) across the street:

King1.jpg

^A future urban square?

Yeah that looks like a nice little square where the travelodge is; remove the cars, create a modern loft+retail building but keep the "square." Instant Euro-style Square for the hipsters!

The office building i really want to see imploded stands right behind (beside) the Inn in the photo.

Must do a tour of that area soon.

You mean next door to the W? Wasn't that actually praised as superior spec infill back in the 80s/90s--and had said review (Hume? Rochon? Freedman?) posted in the front window?

Back