209     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 871     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.3K     2 

Dwt Toronto has lost its position as retail mecca to 905

M

miketoronto

See you guys make fun of me when I was against places like Vaughan Mills, or power centres. Your comments where Toronto will survive.

Well check out this new article from the Toronto Star. A recent study has shown Toronto is losing ground and is no longer the retail centre of the GTA. We have lost out to Vaughan. While a downtown is made up of more then just retail. Retail is a big part of the vibrant streets we have, and uniquess to our city.

Kinda sad Toronto is finally letting our suburbs take over. Before the power centre in Vaughan was built, the Eaton Centre area was the largest retail area in the GTA sq footage wise.
---------

Giant malls lead in sales
Apr. 14, 2006. 08:55 AM
DAVID BRUSER
BUSINESS REPORTER

It's big-box central around Highways 400 and 7, with about as much square-footage of retail space as Yorkdale, the Eaton Centre and Square One malls all rolled into one neighbourhood.

Brimming with strip-malls and power centres, the Woodbridge section of Vaughan is the top retail area in the country, leading a list of 20 hotspots compiled by researchers at Ryerson University.

In fact, the majority of the top 20 are suburban, confirming the trend evident throughout the Greater Toronto Area, where once-sleepy towns like Milton are new homes to big-box retail.

Meanwhile, in parts of Durham Region, politicians and the public are staking their positions as big-box developers come calling with the promise of jobs, tax dollars and, some fear, the death of Main Street.

The 2002 data show that a cluster including three power centres — shopping venues anchored by three or more major box stores — and 13 shopping centres near Highways 400 and 7 in Woodbridge reported total sales revenue 8.4 times higher than the national average. "The retail landscape has been suburbanized over the last few decades," said Tony Hernandez, director of the Centre for the Study of Commercial Activity at Ryerson. "It's very much going hand-in-hand with new residential subdivision growth. Around Vaughan or Markham, where you have the 1,500 square foot lot, at the (nearby) major intersections, you'll have some retail and more often than not that format is big-box."

The study culled sales information found in tax records from stores in areas defined by postal code. Each area has on average 7,000 residents, though some downtown core neighbourhoods have a much higher concentration, Hernandez said.

But the origin of the purchasing power driving Woodbridge's performance is not measured the same way. Shoppers don't always stay close to home. Woodbridge's high shows shoppers, regardless of address, take their cash to the suburbs.
"The Highway 7 and 400 area, that has around three million square feet of big box retail. So that's the equivalent of three super-regional shopping centres," each with one million or more square feet of retail, such as Yorkdale or the Eaton Centre, Hernandez said. "It would be the equivalent of putting three of these super-regionals at that one intersection."

In Scugog Township, where developers want to build a major department store near the town of Port Perry, Mayor Marilyn Pearce is not sure whether she aspires to a top-20 ranking.

"Maybe we would be unique if we said no to big-box completely. I don't know that we can do that," she said. "No matter what study has been done on big-box stores, it always comes out 50 per cent of the community wants it, 50 per cent doesn't.

But in the Municipality of Clarington, where a major big-box development is facing opposition from small business owners and others, Mayor John Mutton said he wouldn't mind a place on the list.

That's "because you're not only capturing retail sales within your own community but you're also more of a draw or an anchor for other communities," he said. "Who wouldn't like to have Vaughan Mills mall in your community? As long as you provide the right type of protection for your downtown. Mind you, I don't want to see power centres pop up all over."

Mega-mall Vaughan Mills opened in late 2004, so sales from its stores are not included in the 2002 study.

"You can just imagine what kind of sales numbers you'd be getting now. Probably within a one-mile area, you've got approaching five million square feet of retail," Hernandez said. "It's a pretty dominant retail cluster."

The GTA accounted for seven of the top 20 shopping concentrations in Canada, including Markham/Unionville, and the areas that include Yorkdale, Scarborough Town Centre and the Eaton Centre.

Frank Miele, Vaughan's commissioner for economic and technology development, said the ranking reflects his city's effort to give locals and tourists a reason to shop north of Toronto.

"Vaughan has the highest per family income in Ontario. There is a pretty affluent community," he said. "The power centres are an important component of a community's lifestyle. People have to shop somewhere. We want them to shop locally."

Toronto's central business district, which includes the Yonge St. corridor and the Eaton Centre, ranked ninth on the list of 20, up from 12th the year before. In 2001, Woodbridge ranked 14th.

But a ranking of the top 20 Canadian fashion retail areas shows the downtown core in Toronto and Montreal are in the top five. The study says that underscores the importance of business employees and tourists to the fashion market.

Interestingly, you haven't noted this section:

Toronto's central business district, which includes the Yonge St. corridor and the Eaton Centre, ranked ninth on the list of 20, up from 12th the year before. In 2001, Woodbridge ranked 14th.

But a ranking of the top 20 Canadian fashion retail areas shows the downtown core in Toronto and Montreal are in the top five. The study says that underscores the importance of business employees and tourists to the fashion market

AoD

Its not that people arent concerned about these issues. Yet think back to all your rants about office space in the downtown core. Toronto is dying and all the jobs are fleeing to the 905. Check out a few threads on this forum and somehow, Toronto's office market seems to be heading back on track with a good chance of a couple towers starting construction this summer.

The same pattern is likely to take place here. Yes the suburbs have had a big effect on retail and the nature of the business, but, as people move downtown, as demand grows, as new markets open up, retail will return to downtown and the suburbs will grow through the growing pains of maturing retail.

The GTA accounted for seven of the top 20 shopping concentrations in Canada, including Markham/Unionville

Markham/Unionville made the list? It doesn't really resemble a big shopping district, unless you're talking about the Chinese malls and their lucrative bootleg DVD industry (sad but true).

Hmm...
This article prooves that Downtown Toronto has succeeded at defining its niche market as a place for luxury goods (Bloor Street), art, furniture (King East), and funky designer clothes (Queen Street).
What this article prooves is that Downtown Toronto no longer is a carbon copy of every power centre in Canada. Detroit, what?

Here's the full list. It isn't on the Star website, only on the hard copy of Friday's Business Section.

1. Woodbridge
2. Markham/Unionville
3. Saskatoon downtown
4. Calgary (MacLeod Trail)
5. Barrie
6. Toronto (Scarborough)
7. Mississauga
8. Montreal Downtown
9. Toronto Downtown
10. Toronto (North York)
11. Calgary
12. Burnaby B.C.
13. Vancouver
14. Windsor
15. Newmarket, ON
16. Edmonton
17. West Edmonton
18. Coquitlam, B.C.
19. Pointe Claire, Que.
20. Montreal (St. Laurent)

where once-sleepy towns like Milton are new homes to big-box retail.

Milton has seen a Home Depot, Wal Mart and a few plaza's pop up but the city has done a great job at maintaining its character. There's certainly nothing like the mother of all power centre's called Heartland and the disastor area known as woodbridge. By limiting the size (1 or 2 large anchors for each plaza maximum) and limiting their overall size and proximity to eachother Milton has managed to escape with a lively and healthy downtown while still managing an exploding population and lots of interest from just about every big box retailer. It's far from perfect and the town needs to worry less about the effects of high-rises will have in changing the character of downtown and put forth more effort to preventing something so terribly evil as wal-mart from ever arriving again.

I don't get how they came up with this list. Woodbridge has more retail than downtown? The lake to Yorkville, Don Valley to say Bathurst?

Oh Saskatoon is number three! That makes complete sense. "We're number three"

Here's the full list. It isn't on the Star website, only on the hard copy of Friday's Business Section.

1. Woodbridge
2. Markham/Unionville
3. Saskatoon downtown
4. Calgary (MacLeod Trail)
5. Barrie
6. Toronto (Scarborough)
7. Mississauga
8. Montreal Downtown
9. Toronto Downtown
10. Toronto (North York)
11. Calgary
12. Burnaby B.C.
13. Vancouver
14. Windsor
15. Newmarket, ON
16. Edmonton
17. West Edmonton
18. Coquitlam, B.C.
19. Pointe Claire, Que.
20. Montreal (St. Laurent)

I find this list a little suspect as well. I get the feeling this study is not what miketoronto makes it out to be; they were probably looking for some specifics, and looked in some specific boundaries.

I have a hard time believing downtown Downtown Saskatoon is a greater retail area than Downtown Toronto.

I believe they were looking at specific clusters of retail, probably the "big box" clusters and other retail. Woodbridge is a single "power node" surrounding 400/7, which is massive. Markham/Unionville is one long stip of power centres and plazas from the 404 to old Unionville. Barrie has a huge cluster around the Molson Park Drive off ramp, likely bigger than Heartland (Barrie serves a huge area, from Highway 88 up to Muskoka and west to Collingwood). I'm guessing that a place like Brampton or Hamilton isn't on this list because its big box complexes are spread out more.

I'll ask - I know the people that put this out.

See you guys make fun of me when I was against places like Vaughan Mills, or power centres. Your comments where Toronto will survive.

Last one to leave, turn out the lights.

Pointe-Claire Quebec? I grew up there. There is the Fairview Mall and a bunch of strip malls along St. Johns Blvd and St. Charles, but nothing so terribly noteworthy. Hardly a shopping mecca.

^it's quite dangerous now. There's a drive-thru Starbucks across from Fairview Pointe-Claire!

How can Saskatoon be #3???

Saskatoon had a plan to protect the downtown and believed in a strong downtown retail sector. So they did have tight retail laws limiting suburban retail development. Thats why their largest mall is in the downtown, and only now have they gotten suburban shopping like big boxes.

But in terms of retail, the city has maintained the downtown as the main retail spot for everything, and not just for niche shoppers. Its the mainstream place to be.

Back