News   Apr 19, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 619     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Canadian Dollar hits 28 year high vs US Dollar

Anyone remember the morons who were proclaiming that the 40 cent dollar was nigh just a few years ago, and that we should be begging the US to use their currency? I guess that's why you have to take most of what you read in the paper with a grain of salt...

Hmm, where are Terence Corcoran and Sherry Cooper with their dollarization dreams now?

Memo to self- get US cash out of the ATM on the way home to sock away.

Anyone remember the morons who were proclaiming that the 40 cent dollar was nigh just a few years ago, and that we should be begging the US to use their currency? I guess that's why you have to take most of what you read in the paper with a grain of salt...

Well, when it was tumbling below 62 cents in 1998, predicting a 40 cent dollar wasn't that unreasonable. The NZ dollar, for example, declined to around 45 cents. No one predicted the US dollar would dive the way it has (thanks Dubya). And I don't think we would have to beg the US to use their currency, couldn't we just use it one day if we decide to? Nevertheless, I'm glad the days of 'dollarisation talk' seem to be over.

Hmm, where are Terence Corcoran and Sherry Cooper with their dollarization dreams now?

I can't stand that shrill whiney Sherry Cooper... she happens to be American by the way. Thankfully, her cakehole has been shut recently.

cooper.jpg

"No one predicted the US dollar would dive the way it has"

I did. When the morons were talking dollarization back then, I pointed out that US dollar was absurdly over-valued and that the Canadian dollar was worth 85 cents US. If that's what it's worth, there's no way it can reasonably devalue to 40 cents on a long-term basis.

Working in the US on a TN1 is just not as lucrative anymore :(

I agree. Making £ isn't as good as it used to be either.

Thankfully, her cakehole has been shut recently.

I hope you aren't refering to this:

...just last month, Sherry Cooper, 55, chief economist with Toronto's BMO Nesbitt Burns and her husband, Peter, 56, were asleep in their north Toronto home when they were awakened by two men in their bedroom searching the dresser drawers.

They were gagged and the armed suspects demanded money and jewellery from them.

This is good news for me as i'm heading stateside in June.

I hope you aren't refering to this:

He was referring to the issue of dollarization, and about how Cooper was sounding all kinds of alarm bells about how the loonie was going to go extinct and so on...

A strong dollar is the way to go, relying on a weak currency is a weak strategy. My concern (and I'm sure one shared by most businesses) is how rapidly the dollar is appreciating. While the good times could keep on rolling it is as likely as not that in the next few years we could see a rapid change and the potential for a huge decline in commodity prices. Just look at how markets were effected last week when China made modest musings about trying to put a lid on run-away growth. The market reaction indicates to me that commodity prices are not at all based on market fundamentals and that while we could see the CDN dollar go to parity we could see it drop to 80 cents the same year. This kind of yo-yo currency movement is bad news.

An at par CAD.... Never thought I'd see the day..

But then again, there was the time when the Canadian Dollar was higher than the American Dollar...

Toronto Star-Par in sight for dollar

Donald Coxe moved to what some thought the lunatic fringe of forecasters in 2003 when he predicted publicly that the Canadian dollar would reach par with the greenback within five years.

"Not all the disdain was polite," said Coxe, Chicago-based global portfolio strategist for BMO Financial Group.

But he's getting the last laugh.

The hard-charging Canadian dollar is prompting an increasing number of mainstream thinkers to predict parity with the United States.

The dollar has been on a tear for a month, gaining nearly five cents and hitting 26-year highs.

Yesterday, it flirted with the 90-cent mark, coming within 0.02 of a cent in the early afternoon. It ended the day at 89.83 cents (U.S.), up 0.38 of a cent. In early trading Tuesday it reched 90.28 centgs (U.S.)

Coxe, who bases his forecasts on five-year outlooks, remains one step ahead of the pack.

"I changed my forecast three months ago to now say it will trade well through par."

The main story is that investors will continue to punish the U.S. dollar for the huge inflows of foreign capital the economy needs to fund ballooning trade and government budget deficits, Coxe said.

The Chinese and Japanese central banks alone have purchased $1.3 trillion (U.S.) in government Treasury bonds and mortgage-backed securities in the past four years, he added.

"There is no obvious reason why people would want to hold U.S. dollars," Coxe said.

"It also helps that Canada has a fundamentally good story of its own."

National Bank Financial saw the writing on the wall and upgraded its exchange rate forecast yesterday.

Last December it had predicted an average of 86 cents this year, and perhaps parity five years out. It now expects the loonie will reach parity with the U.S. dollar by the fall of 2007.

As Coxe argues, external factors will be the key drivers, said National Bank chief economist Clément Gignac.

"Our long-standing, secular optimism about the Canadian dollar is well known," wrote Gignac in an email to clients.

"Even if profit-taking on the currency could be seen after the nice run-up in April, we believe that the stars will align for a Canadian dollar at par with the U.S. dollar well before our initial target of 2010."

Though global imbalances will cause the greenback to weaken further — foreign investors are sending $2.5 billion (U.S.) a day to the United States — Canada offers a safe haven.

Exporters, which have been raising their productivity through both heavy investments in new machinery and equipment and by trimming payrolls, may be losing sleep at the thought of a dollar at par.

But firms are coping quite well, Gignac said, citing a recent KPMG survey that claims, even with an 85-cent loonie, domestic businesses have the lowest operating costs among the G-7 industrial countries and that the exchange rate would need to hit 98 cents for costs to be as expensive as those in the United States.

Also, pre-tax corporate profits as a share of GDP hit 14.6 per cent in the final three months of 2005, an all-time high.

National Bank expects Canada's trade surplus will remain between 4 and 5 per cent of GDP, helped along by improving relations with the United States.

The biggest risk to the loonie reaching parity is a possible sharp drop in commodity prices or a recession in the United States, started possibly by a severe correction in real estate prices, Gignac said.

Canada's booming real estate market ought to benefit as the surging loonie puts downward pressure on inflation and interest rates.

The biggest risk to the loonie reaching parity is a possible sharp drop in commodity prices or a recession in the United States, started possibly by a severe correction in real estate prices, Gignac said.

It's always nice to be in a cash position when there is a real estate correction to take advantage of it, yet so few people follow the simple principles of buy low sell high.

yet so few people follow the simple principles of buy low sell high.
Of course. If everybody did it then prices would never actually be low or high - flat line.

As with everything else, the group that establishes or creates the trend makes the money. Buy low and Sell high is another way of saying be at the beginning of the trend (the trend of buying or selling).

Remember that CAD has appreciated w.r.t USD only, not other currencies. So, it's more of a sign of the US sucking than a sign of Canada kicking ass.

Back