News   Mar 28, 2024
 748     0 

Portlands Energy Centre

B

billonlogan

Portlands Energy Centre (PEC)
April 10, 2006
Site Work Starts at Portlands Energy Centre
[Toronto] The Portlands Energy Centre (PEC) has started preliminary site work in preparation for the construction of the new, high efficiency natural gas generation station to be located east of the retired Hearn generating station. “In order to meet Toronto’s need for electricity in 2008 construction must get underway this summerâ€, said Finn Greflund, President of the PEC, “we are very pleased to have reached this phase of the project.â€
Activities already underway include land surveying and the removal of test equipment that was used to collect data for environmental studies of the PEC site. In addition to proceeding with construction of the long-planned Portlands Energy Centre, the Minister of Energy directed the Ontario Power Authority to conserve 300 megawatts of power in Toronto through existing and new demand-management efforts.
However, electricity system planners have concluded that Toronto needs an additional 250 megawatts of electricity generation by the summer of 2008 and another 250
megawatts in 2010. PEC, a 550 megawatt power plant, will meet that need with minimal air, water and noise impacts.
As explained by PEC Chairman Jim Burpee, “The project passed through a two year environmental review process and was approved by the Ministry of the Environment in 2005. We did our homework, involved agencies and the public and addressed any environmental issues that were raised.â€
In addition PEC is currently removing vegetation and clearing the project site.
Site clearing activities were included in the conditions of the Ministry of the Environment approvals. The removal of trees is being carried out with a Permit for Private Tree Removal issued by the City of Toronto. A comprehensive landscape plan will see more than 3000 trees and shrubs planted on the site after construction is completed.

So what the hell is going to happen with the Hearn building? Is is going to sit there and rot?

Probably. That seems to be the favoured approach when dealing with obsolete industrial infrastructure on the waterfront.

Just when things start to get going, finally...this. Christ.

So what the hell is going to happen with the Hearn building? Is is going to sit there and rot?
I understood that it has been leased by a local film company for quite a while now.

It appears, at very least, "Stepping Up" was filmed there last year.
www.toronto.ca/tfto/newy.htm

Toronto Film/Media Complex Update

New Toronto Port Lands Studio Complex Moves Ahead

July 30, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

The City of Toronto Economic Development Corporation (TEDCO) is pleased to announce several new developments in the Toronto Film/Media Complex project, including the advancement of the Film/Media Complex as the only purpose-built sound stage, studio and post-production facility now slated for development in Toronto's Port Lands.

"This announcement brings focus to Toronto's film industry," said Jeffrey Steiner, President and CEO of TEDCO. "The progression of a single Film/Media Complex project will allow us to concentrate our resources and strengthen the City's presence in the international film market."

As a result of TEDCO's initiative to build a world class purpose built film/media complex in Toronto, the Comweb Group will instead convert the former Hearn generating station (Great Lakes Studios Toronto) into several huge effects stages that will also target the large scale feature film market.

"In addition to TEDCO's high end purpose-built sound stage complex, we beleive Toronto also needs huge effects stages to service the international market", said Paul Bronfman, President of The Comweb Group.

Mayor Mel Lastman said today that he is delighted with recent Film/Media Complex project developments including the opening of the Request for Expressions of Interest.

"I am pleased the Film/Media Complex is moving forward. It's important to the film industry and it's important to Toronto. I look forward to the successful completion of the bidding process and the construction of the film studio in the Port Lands."

Currently in the Request for Expressions of Interest (RFI) stage, the Toronto Film/Media Complex is a mixed-use development in keeping with the vision for a waterfront District for Innovation and Creativity.

"I am also delighted to see the process of expression of interest proceeding," said Robert A. Fung, Chairman of the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation. "A Film/Media Complex could play an important part in the future of a revitalized Toronto waterfront."

The formal Request for Expressions of Interest (RFI) is now open and will extend to close of business September 23, 2003.

In addition, TEDCO has retained CIBC World Markets as a key banking advisor on the development of this state-of-the-art studio facility.

"CIBC World Markets joins with J.J. Barnicke Limited as our financial, banking and real estate advisors on the complex. With the help of these financial and real estate experts the process is on track to become a success for the City and the film industry," said Steiner.

"We look forward to being part of this important project which will, by all indications, have significant impact on Toronto and its film industry," said Michael Young, Managing Director of CIBC World Markets.

Today also marks the launch of the TEDCO website www.tedco.ca where the public and prospective investors can access information about the Film/Media Complex and other TEDCO initiatives.

The City of Toronto Economic Development Corporation (TEDCO) is an Ontario business corporation with the City of Toronto as its sole shareholder. TEDCO was incorporated in 1986 to pursue industrial development, and to attract and retain jobs in the city. It is a self-financing, arms length corporation supported by an eleven person board of directors appointed by City Council.

TEDCO also owns over 400 acres of land in the Port Area of Toronto and leases properties to approximately 80 businesses. TEDCO was recently designated as the new city-wide redevelopment arm for Toronto.

Interesting list of productions where Toronto stands in for NYC.

I understood that it has been leased by a local film company for quite a while now.

I think this particular project is dead. I think it has croaked sometime since 2003.

I think this particular project is dead. I think it has croaked sometime since 2003.
The project might be dead but I believe the studio still has a long term lease on the building.

noticed the site clearing the other day - its just massive

"I think this particular project is dead. I think it has croaked sometime since 2003."

I don't think so - demolition of the interiors continues and was initially projected to take 2 years

There are too many "almost" studio projects; it's easy to get them confused with the ones that are ongoing.

I thought part of the Rose Corps. deal to build the Portland Studio complex was that there was to be no others in the locale.

bizorky:

I think that's only applicable to City owned/TEDCO lands.

AoD

^You are correct, sir!

Alas, I did not put two and two together, so to speak.

Courtesy: Toronto Star
May 2, 2006

Power agency chief pushes for start on generating station
But city still endorses rival bid to revamp old Hearn building

JOHN SPEARS
CITY HALL BUREAU

Toronto is peering into the "valley of death" unless a 550-megawatt generating plant is built in the city's port lands, says the chief executive of the Ontario Power Authority.

Energy conservation measures are needed, too, Jan Carr said in an interview.

But he said the city's electricity problems can't be solved unless Toronto gets a generating plant the size of the one proposed by Portlands Energy Centre (PEC), and gets it soon.

"We're walking into the valley of death here," Carr said. "We've got to get on and do things."

In February, the province approved construction of the PEC, a joint project of provincially owned Ontario Power Generation and TransCanada Corp. It has started preparing a site for a new building just east of the old Richard L. Hearn generating station in the eastern port lands.

But city-owned Toronto Hydro and Baltimore-based Constellation Energy are still lobbying for their rival proposal to construct a 291-megawatt plant inside the Hearn station, in tandem with 200 megawatts of conservation measures. If necessary, the plant could be doubled in size to 582 megawatts.

Carr's strong backing of the PEC follows Toronto City Council's endorsement last week of its rival in a motion passed by Councillor David Shiner and seconded by Mayor David Miller.

The Ontario Power Authority has warned that downtown Toronto risks rolling blackouts by the summer of 2008 unless a generating station about the size of the one proposed by PEC is built.

"There is only one project that can be there on time," Carr said, and that's the PEC. "It can be there on time because it has an environmental assessment in place."

The Toronto Hydro-Constellation project hasn't undergone an environmental assessment, although proponents are confident they could get approval.

But Carr said the process is unpredictable because there's no way of knowing who will intervene in an assessment and how the hearing will be prolonged.

Carr said the plant is needed because the city's population has grown and the computer age has driven up the demand for both the quantity and reliability of electricity.

The city has compensated by bringing in more power on transmission lines, but those lines are full, he said.

Ontario Energy Minister Donna Cansfield has ordered the Ontario Power Authority to strike a deal with PEC, and Carr said an implementation agreement has already been signed. A final agreement is likely "a month or two away," he said.

The Hydro-Constellation plan "is not in the mix as far as we're concerned," Carr said.

That hasn't stopped Toronto council from taking a position that any power plant in the port lands should, among other things, be located inside the Hearn station, take a "conservation-first" approach and contribute "to revitalization of the Toronto waterfront."

Miller and Shiner have made it clear that PEC satisfies none of those conditions.

The city's one ace in the hole could be access to the PEC site. The city, through the Toronto Economic Development Corp. (TEDCO), owns waterfront land that gives access to the site.

--------------------------

I love a good game of poker, but i learned quickly you need more than 'one ace in the hole' to win the game.

...and the province's ace in the hole is "So, Toronto, you want your half-billion dollar bailout again next year?"

This whole dispute is such a silly manufactured election issue. The city's own port lands plan has no proposal for the PEC site, and it aims to have a "campus" for cement makers next door. I'd much rather have the attractive Hearn adaptively reused with a small power plant next door than turned back into a power plant for the next 30 years.

Back