86     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 581     0 

Front Street Extension

C

crackpott

I was hoping you guys could help me out a little with this. In my urban planning class, our group has to do a presentation on the front street extension (whether it looks unlikely now or not), and I remember seeing posted on here a while back renderings of it at various points from Bathurst over to Dufferin, but despite all my searching of this forum and the web in general I can't find them anymore.

If anyone knows where I could find them, can you let me know?

Cost to built this thing is around $300 million not the $170 as state. There is not transit for this thing and as far as I am concern, it should only be for an LRT running along Front St in the first place.

I have no doubt that the project is dead for the rest of the decade. Feds are gone and Pantalone seems to be focussing more on the Dufferin and Queensway LRTs at the moment. The works department by itself has never had the power to push it through.

Plus the whole raison d'etre for Front Street Extension - the Gardiner - seems to be not on the agenda, beyond the talk on removing the eastern leg from Jarvis to DVP.

AoD

Thanks, Alvin, that was exactly what I was looking for.

-I have no doubt that the project is dead for the rest of the decade.-

David Miller may revive this for Pantelone after re-election. The only good news is the city is beyond broke.

Honestly, the mess around Spadina and Bremner is becoming unmanageable. The traffic jam is crazy, even when the Gardiner is riding well. I can see the logic for the Front Street extension now that I live in the area.

I suspect most of the people who are opposed to it don't have to drive through the Front/Spadina area very often.

I suspect most of the people who are opposed to it don't have to drive through the Front/Spadina area very often.
A number of the people opposed to it walk through that intersection or otherwise live close to where it would go.

Most of the drivers using the Front St extension are coming in from outside the downtown area to the west. Cost aside, the extension is a good alternative to getting in and out of downtown instead of using the Gardiner ramps at Spadina, Yonge, York and Bay. Again this only benefits drivers outside the downtown, so its unlikely it will get the go ahead with the current regime at city hall. Where does the Front St extension fall on the list of roadway improvements in the City of Toronto? This weekend I was driving down Victoria Park Ave between the 401 and Eglinton. I found this stretch heavily congested. This stretch is in dire need of widening and a continuous left turn lane, such as Lawrence Ave E. through Scarborough.

"This weekend I was driving down Victoria Park Ave between the 401 and Eglinton. I found this stretch heavily congested."

It tends to be bumper to bumper from Sheppard to O'Connor all day. People around here generally avoid Vic Park - it's death during rush hour, often taking 30+ minutes to travel this stretch.

Front Street Extension battle + movie

A battle over the Front Street Extension is being waged in ward 14, where the current Councillor Sylvia Watson (who fought FSE) is not running. Because of the 'home rule' system, Councillors tend to defer to the decision of the area councillor (s) in which a project is located. The Front street extension is located in 2 wards: ward 19 (Pantelone) and ward 14 (unknown). Front Street will be back on the agenda after the election. Sewell has long been one of the main oponents of the FSE and Pantelone it's main backer.

From yesterday's Star: Outside money funnels into ward 14.
www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs...0599119419

The 2 are hosting a movie fundraiser in Parkdale.

David White & Former Mayor John Sewell present the film

‘Contested Streets’

Where: Dragonfly, 1279 Queen Street W. @ Brock Street
When: Sunday October 22nd at 4 pm
4pm- Film showing - Contested Streets
5:15- Speakers - David White & John Sewell former Mayor of Toronto
Finger food - Cash bar –

Admission $5 - Proceeds to..
1. Front & Centre –
Advocates against the Front Street Extension & expressway interchange
2. Parkdale-High Park Residents Waterfront Group –
Advocates for a green, accessible, public waterfront

About the documentary..

Contested Streets is a Transportation Alternatives produced documentary that explores the rich diversity of New York City street life before the introduction of automobiles, and shows how other cities have reclaimed their streets as vibrant public spaces. Contested Streets also features new footage of reclaimed streets in London, Paris and Copenhagen.
www.transalt.org/campaign...index.html

“David White can take most of the credit for the fact
that the Front Street Extension has been put on hold.â€

John Sewell- former mayor of Toronto

Recipient organizations are non-partisan & do not endorse political candidates.

Back