News   Apr 25, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 582     0 

T.O. areas with best transit, have lowest ridership????

M

miketoronto

Check this out guys.

The following stats are from the WARD profiles on the City of Toronto.

But there seems to be a trend here. All the wards located near the subway, which also contain some of Toronto's most wealthy areas, have the lowest transit ridership.

Thats kinda sad that areas with the best transit service have low ridership levels compared to other areas. Check this out.

WARD 25, located right on the Yonge subway: 10% of non-work trips by transit. One of the lowest levels of transit use in Toronto. 21% of work trips by transit, again lower then the Toronto average.

WARD 22, midtown, forest hill area: A little better, but only 22% of non-work trips are by transit. Work trips a little better at 38%.

WARD 26 Leaside area: Only 17% of non-work trips by transit.
Work trips a little better at 29%, but still not high considering the good transit service offered.

Compared to? Can you post some other wards, especially those that contrast these numbers?

It's hard to get a sense of the validity of your argument when you only present one side.

Wards 3 and 44 have the lowest ridership, but they're the farhest west and east of downtown and are doing fine financially, so it's no surprise. Ward 22 seems to have the highest percentage of work trips by transit in the city...go yuppies!

WARD 25, located right on the Yonge subway: 10% of non-work trips by transit. One of the lowest levels of transit use in Toronto. 21% of work trips by transit, again lower then the Toronto average.

That's the North Toronto ward with Bridle Path - hardly the demographic I'd expect to use transit.

AoD

Well we should not be promoting people who are not going to take transit, to live in our central corridor. 10% is a disgrace.

Well we should not be promoting people who are not going to take transit, to live in our central corridor. 10% is a disgrace.

I live downtown and I rarely use transit or drive. That's because I walk everywhere.

Why not think things through a little bit before posting statements like this.

I thought about the walking part to. However that is not very high either, since according to the ward profiles even in central northern inner city Toronto, something like 60%-70% of non work trips are by car depending on what part of the inner city.

Most of this ward has poor transit, starting with the walks required to get a bus that heads someplace useful. Bayview and Leslie aren't particularly useful routes and there are very few east/west through streets.

Yonge Street in that area has fairly poor subway service by Toronto standards. 1if not 2 additional stations could easily be added along the stretch between Eglinton and York Mills.

Not particularly surprised it is fairly low.

Thats kinda sad that areas with the best transit service have low ridership levels compared to other areas.
Neighbourhoods in North York such as the Bridle Path or Bayview Heights are much closer to the subway than most of the city, however they actually have pretty much the worst transit. Bus routes are few and far between, and only run every 20 minutes during rush hour.

As far as downtown wards go, they are transit unfriendly but in a positive sense. Just like Ed, I too walk everywhere which means I never use the TTC. In Trinity Spadina, almost 70% of people get to work without relying on cars, even though more people actually drive than use the TTC! That's because 34% of people are in the "other" category. Low transit use downtown proves that Toronto truly is a healthy city since you don't need mechanized transportation to get around.

Transit has historically been provided solely for suburban residents and business, and largely remains that way to this day. Why do you think we have the term streetcar suburbs? The very first omnibus lines in Toronto appeared along Yonge and Queen since those were the only two streets where development sprawled far enough to make walking impossible. Bottom line, transit was never really intended for downtown residents, so the fact that ridership downtown remains low is just fine.

WARD 22, midtown, forest hill area: A little better, but only 22% of non-work trips are by transit. Work trips a little better at 38%.

These numbers aren't bad at all, they are on par with the average for the city. If this is bad than what would good be? Just average?

Who is going to pay $3.00 for a few subway stops downtown. Walking is cheaper. Perhaps fare by distance woudl chaneg that somewhat

Back