News   Mar 28, 2024
 232     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 

TTC: Confronting Litter Bugs

M

MetroMan1000

Hey guys,
I regularly see people littering on streetcars and subways on my daily commute. I often confront them but would like to be more informed of fines and procedures.

1) Is there a fine for littering on public transit? What is it?
2) Is it the driver's / conductor's duty to enforce the law on their vehicle?
3) Can I ask the conductor/driver to stop the vehicle and call the police to report a crime?

I'm fed up of seeing inconsiderate pigs leaving their shit behind for the next person to pick up.

I've made my views on this topic known: summary executions, but 'tis a pipedream...

What I always do in my library when I see that (and it happens far too often) is I actually pick up what they dropped (assuming it's not completely nasty), put it in front or next to them, stand over them, and say in a louder-than-necessary-voice, EXCUSE ME, DID YOU DROP THIS? BECAUSE I'M SURE YOU WOULDN'T JUST LEAVE LITTER ON THE FLOOR LIKE THAT, WOULD YOU? A hundred heads turn. They always pick it up.

fiendish:

That probably wouldn't work on transit, since it assumes the individuals in question is responsive to being shamed, which often isn't the case.

Bring on the side-handle baton.

AoD

It also assumes they understand big words like "because" or the concept of "litter".

Make littering punishable by $1,000 - $5,000 per offense, use that to hire more people to enforce the laws - and more people to clean up using litters' money.

I've confronted a smoker recently on a subway platform. I basically gave him a stare for a minute, then said "you can't smoke here". He asked "why not?" so I pointed to the big no smoking sign almost right in front of him. I then saw a TTC employee come up to the platform, he told me he couldn't do anything about it, only special constables.

I've gotten angry on subway trains - I'll say "thank you for blocking the door" as I try to leave (H-series are bad for trying to get out of a subway car) and just this week, I yelled at a a teenage airhead for sitting in one of those courtesy seats on a crowded Orion VII, while a senior was hanging on for dear life almost in front of her. Her response? "Whatever". Fiendish's idea of summary executions sometimes sound quite appealing.

People know they can get away with it. They lack any sense of community and responsibility. We had this fella in the park who rarely picked up his dog poop. I had it out with him and he threw it at me. I called the cops and animal services and they said they could'nt do anything unless they saw it happen. Just plain rude, ignorant and lazy.

The TTC Bylaws say that the maximum fine for breaking any of the bylaws is $500.

I don't have the guts to confront litterbugs, or bylaw breakers. What I do have is a camera, so if I do see people doing outrageous stuff on the TTC, I'd shoot a video clip of them and post it on YouTube for all to see.

I've made my views on this topic known: summary executions...

August 15th, Lansdowne station, a guy smoking and his female friend who viewed the tracks as trash can for the crap in her handbag (lots of crap).

It is not only just on the TTC, I don't see how people can be so lazy that they toss litter away just anywhere. Even if the garbage can is just a few metres away some people do not use it.

I've contacted the appropriate authorities on the subject.

I've already received a reply from my councillor and the mayor's office. The issue has been forwarded to the people directly involved and will no doubt result in some sort of answer shortly.

Good on City Hall for replying to me personally in less than a few hours.

"That probably wouldn't work on transit, since it assumes the individuals in question is responsive to being shamed, which often isn't the case."

On the routes I take, 50% have no shame and the other 50% don't speak English...sigh...what are ya gonna do?

There are (1) people who break a law, (2) people who don't break a law because of the law, and (3) people who don't break a law because of a moral judgement. When it comes to crimes that don't injure people it seems that the numbers in group 3 are far lower than what they should be. Sometimes I wonder if society is getting worse, staying the same, or getting better. Is it simply perception that society is getting more careless and irresponsible or is it reality? There seems to be a lot more people around who blame the victims, blame the whistleblowers, etc. and believe that if someone can "get away with something" then by all means do it. People who say "everything was fine until you opened your big mouth".

On the subject of litter I just hate the parking lot litterbugs. Set garbage on the ground next to the car and drive away. Since when is a parking lot a garbage can?

Does Litter Create Jobs at the TTC?

During my commute on either MT, TTC or GO I always take a newspaper and sometimes all three national papers.

When I complete a section I always leave the read sections behind for someone else to read and enjoy. Usually someone else picks up the paper before I leave the train. Now I guess you could consider that littering, but I personally appreciate picking up a paper to read during the boring ride home sometimes.

However, even if I wanted to throw my papers out, there is a serious lack of garbage and recycling bins at stations. I understand for security reasons they got rid of half of the old tiled concrete bins (I say half because I still see them at stations) and replaced 1/3 of those with the ring and clear plastic bad model (rarely do I see any of those).

Furthermore, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the TTC just order some 100+ station cleaners to swtich to the overnight shift? If that is the case, can we assume that there is nobody around during the day to clean the system?

I just returned from London where I amazed at how clean the Underground system was at all times of the day even without ANY garbage cans in sight. What makes a difference is that London has cleaners picking up litter at all times of the day and the understanding that commuters should take their litter home or dispose of it outside the tube station (garbage cans that look exactly like Toronto's new blue plastic ones except London's are black for litter and green for recycling).

I think we need a coordinated effort to keep the system clean. We need to offer more garbage and recycling bins at the stations, if not at least explain to the public about the terrorism concerns and ask them to take their litter home. We need people cleaning the system the entire day, if we can't afford them, at least ask TTC employees to help with the effort when they are using the system.

Louroz

Re: Does Litter Create Jobs at the TTC?

I think a big exception to the littering rule is newspapers, particularly real ones (i.e. not the Metro or 24). I really appreciate getting a free copy of the newspaper for my ride. I then like to leave it for the next rider.

Back