News   Mar 28, 2024
 272     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 252     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 288     0 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

B

borgos

Finally. More than 2 years after the first public meeting!

Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration Class Environmental Assessment Study

This site was last updated on June 6, 2006

(New) Public Meeting

Date: Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Time: 6:30pm to 9:00pm
Presentation: 7:00pm
(cafeteria lower level)
86 Montgomery Road, Toronto
View for more details (PDF)
You will need to have the FREE Acrobat Reader to view PDF files.

The City of Toronto is investigating the potential reconfiguration of the Six Points interchange, the area where Kipling Avenue, Dundas Street West, and Bloor Street West meet.

Background
The Six Points Interchange is comprised of the convergence of the following three major arterial roads, Kipling Avenue, Dundas Street West and Bloor Street West. During the development and approval of the former City of Etobicoke’s City Centre Secondary Plan the existing configuration of the Six Points Interchange was identified as an obstacle affecting the development potential of lands around the interchange, particularly the Westwood Theatre Lands. Toronto City Council approved the new Etobicoke Centre Secondary Plan at its meeting of November 26-28, 2002. As with the previous City Centre Secondary Plan, the reconfiguration of the Six Points Interchange continues to be key to achieving policy objectives associated with the vision for the development of the Centre.

A Schedule ‘C’ Class Environmental Assessment (Class EA) is being conducted to examine options for the reconfiguration of the existing Six Points Interchange, associated ramps and service roads and to recommend a preferred design and property protection plan for a reconfigured interchange consistent with the policy objectives of the new Etobicoke Centre Secondary Plan.

Public Consultation
The public is being consulted at key points through out the development and assessment of alternatives for the Six Points Interchange. Please contact the Project Manager if you are interested in commenting on the process or being added to the project mailing list.

Public Meeting and Open House #1
March 2, 2004

Meeting notes (PDF)
Presentation slides (PDF)
Display boards (PDF)
Class EA (PowerPoint)
Glossary of terms (PDF)
Comment sheet (PDF) - to be submitted by March 16, 2004
Notice of public meeting (PDF)

Public Meeting #2
Please send your mailing address to the Project Manager (see below) to be notified of the next public meeting.

Contact us
For more information regarding this project please contact:

Uwe C. Mader, P.Eng.
Transportation Engineer
Infrastructure Planning Unit
City Hall, 21st Floor East
100 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2
Tel: 416-392-8479
Fax: 416-392-4808
Email: umader@toronto.ca

Toronto maps | Get involved | Toronto links
© City of Toronto 1998-2006

Thanks interchange. I hear that the preferred option is the "Dundas Street Loop" which can be seen if you follow the link. Not that this means a whole lot since there's no money for the project.

^ My thoughts exactly. Is there an intention of actually doing any of this? It would surely be horrendously expensive.

Six Points is a mess, but if you know the area you can navigate it without problems. I would suspect that the city has higher priorities.

Obs. Walt.

The problem with 6 points is that it isn't just an issue of transportation engineering. As it stands right now, the mess basically prevents linkage in the urban fabric between Islington Village and the Kipling node. Given the high degree of transit accessiblity, and thus development potential in the area, the issue must be dealt with.

AoD

Alvin, I completely agree with you. The interchange works OK from a car point of view. Have you ever tried to walk across the East/West bridge? It's like crossing a highway. I saw some kids trying to ride their bikes across the interchange. Made me cringe in fear for them. Realistically though, I see no indications that any level of gov't is prepared to pay for this. I think that's why the EA is progressing at a glacial speed. It's more polically palatable to see this peeter out than to come right out and say "this is going nowhere".

borgos:

Depending on what design they ultimately chose, it doesn't necessarily have to be that expensive if it doesn't involve grade separation and massive amounts of regrading. Perhaps the project can be funded by a mix of development charges, land sales (from the newly liberated plots), etc.

AoD

Alvin, if it's going to be worth the trouble, the overpass over Blor/Dundas will have to come down and a new roadway through Westwood will have to be built, both very expensive propositions. I was told that the proceeds of disposition of surplus land will be nowhere near enough to pay for this work (assuming that the City will keep most of the Westwood property). As far as development charges, I don't see how this will be possible since the entire area is already zoned for high density development.

borgos:

It can't be more expensive than building over/underpasses. Not surprised that the land sales won't be able to cover the cost, however (just what is the projected cost anyways?). I was thinking development charges and section 37 funds - additional density via additioinal funds. Bribery? Sure, but it gets the job done.

AoD

Alv, those s. 37 charges tend to be rather modest compared to the potential cost. Regarding the cost of overpasses, you are probably correct. Unfortunately, the city very recently spend millions to refurbish the existing overpass (and you wonder why I'm so cynical).

borgos:

Depending on how much land/number of units is involved, maybe a few million from all the sites in total? The city could also conceivably drop that 1% for public art rule and direct the funds to the project as well.

Given that we seem to be at the end of one development cycle, there is no rush to it, especially considering the Kipling terminal plans are still up in the air. What really should happen is a clear plan to Avenue-ize Dundas.

AoD

Alv, that's still a drop in the gas tank. Don't quote me on this, but I think I was told that this would cost $50 million.

Re Avenue-izing Dundas, that's the plan but look at how it's being executed. There's now a brand new KFC drive-through a bit west of Tridel's towers in the park. Let's be realistic, Dundas west of Kipling cannot be redeemed.

borgos:

$50M?! You must be kidding - that's more than building railway underpasses.

Anyways, Dundas west of Kipling is such a mixed bag. Have you heard anything about the Canadian Tire site? There was a rezoning application for quite a significant number of units.

AoD

Alv, that Canadian Tire is virtually my summer cottage. The people who work there have told me that although the property has been rezoned, there are no immediate plans to close the store (especially now that the Home Hardware in Islington Village has closed). The Honeydale mall further west has proposed a project with a gazillion units - the councillor has opposed it.

borgos:

I just *hate* having a zillion proposals when there is no coherent plan as to what the goal is for that area, and I see Tridel's Essex/Nuvo (and like you've said, the new Taco Bell/KFC) being a manifestation of such a vacuum.

AoD

Back