Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Cathedrals of Culture Offers 3D Film Treat for Architecture Buffs
ALSO
Page 249 of 249 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249
Results 3,721 to 3,729 of 3729

Thread: Transit Fantasy Maps

  1. #3721
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Midtown
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    What would be a better northern terminus? Lawrence Station or Doncliffe loop? I chose Lawrence because my understanding is that Lawrence station can handle buses.

    Or maybe change 103's southern terminus from Eglinton station to somewhere on Jarvis too. Run two Mt. Pleasant buses, increasing the frequency along the relevant part.


  2. #3722
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Yonge & Eglinton
    Posts
    2,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Au View Post
    What bus then goes on Mt. Pleasant to Doncliffe if Route 103 is eliminated?
    The bus route I just described which combines the 3 current ones. The new one that runs down Mt Pleasant & Jarvis. It runs Doncliffe loop, down Mt Pleasant, which becomes Jarvis.

  3. #3723
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    North York
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    When the crosstown opens, I hope they will at least merge both of the Mt Pleasant buses (103 and 74) into one route terminating at St Clair station.

  4. #3724
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Near where the boundaries of North York, York, and Toronto meet
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salsa View Post
    When the crosstown opens, I hope they will at least merge both of the Mt Pleasant buses (103 and 74) into one route terminating at St Clair station.
    The new 74 Mt. Pleasant bus should go between St. Clair station and Doncliffe, freeing up the 103 numbering for another route. Oh, and the Lawrence/Mt. Pleasant intersection should be made into a roundabout (even if it means expropriation).

  5. Default

    Name:  Downtown relief-2.png
Views: 239
Size:  1.22 MB
    I really like reaperexpress's idea of making the DRL with mainline rail technology.

    I'd go a step further to suggest that you could make the Richmond Hill line with a combination of the DRL with a re-routing of the southern end of the line on GO-owned track and new tunnels.

    Under downtown, I agree you should tunnel under Wellington to serve the core. Have the tunnel exit around Queen on the Richmond Hill line, then follow the Don Branch of the Bellville sub that Metrolinx purchased (in 2007). Follow the Bellville sub through Leaside Junction along to Eglinton, then tunnel across to Don Mills, then north. North of Lawrence, come above ground and re-join the existing Richmond Hill line.

    Make the tunnel capable of handling bi-level trains, like CrossRail in London. This uses a lot of existing surface track, with strategic tunnels. You could build the relief connection to Line 2 at Broadview, with a pedestrian tunnel between the track along the DVP (the Don Branch hugs the DVP). You'd also be able to serve Thorncliffe with a Thorncliffe/Leaside station without having to build a new bridge at Millwood (as you would for a DRL up Pape). Instead you'd widen the bridge over the Brickworks and Metrolinx has just completed a similar project for the Kitchener line crossing the Humber.
    Last edited by jcam; Yesterday at 08:49.

  6. #3726
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ottawa (formerly Downtown Toronto)
    Posts
    5,770

    Default

    Yup, the DRL as a component of GO RER in my opinion makes a lot more sense than as a component of the TTC subway network.

    I've done a couple tweaks to my GO REX map, including adding the UPX onto it as a sub-set of the GO+ network. As a result, there's a Red Line and a Blue Line service to Pearson. The Red Line is the Toronto-centric GO REX network, using the Central Tunnel (DRL). This is kind of like the Heathrow Express and the Heathrow Connect services, where one is a premium express service and the other is a more local service.

    In response to the post above, here's how a GO REX DRL could potentially be incorporated along with the Richmond Hill line.



    Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20REX%20v7.jpg
    Twitter: @JAndrewJ86

  7. #3727
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Republic of Suburbia
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gweed123 View Post
    Yup, the DRL as a component of GO RER in my opinion makes a lot more sense than as a component of the TTC subway network.

    I've done a couple tweaks to my GO REX map, including adding the UPX onto it as a sub-set of the GO+ network. As a result, there's a Red Line and a Blue Line service to Pearson. The Red Line is the Toronto-centric GO REX network, using the Central Tunnel (DRL). This is kind of like the Heathrow Express and the Heathrow Connect services, where one is a premium express service and the other is a more local service.

    In response to the post above, here's how a GO REX DRL could potentially be incorporated along with the Richmond Hill line.

    Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20REX%20v7.jpg
    This is fantastic! I'd played with the idea of extending the DRL along the Metrolinx Bala sub north of Don Mills Centre, but at that point I was thinking in terms of rapid transit technology so the line had to end at Steeles due to the CN traffic. This makes much more sense.

    I was also thinking of the Cambridge-Guelph line as a part of the Grand River LRT network, but regional rail makes a lot of sense there too.
    Last edited by reaperexpress; 2014-Dec-17 at 22:03.

  8. #3728
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ottawa (formerly Downtown Toronto)
    Posts
    5,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reaperexpress View Post
    This is fantastic! I'd played with the idea of extending the DRL along the Metrolinx Bala sub north of Don Mills Centre, but at that point I was thinking in terms of rapid transit technology so the line had to end at Steeles due to the CN traffic. This makes much more sense.
    Yup, using mainline technology opens up a whole bunch of possibilities that wouldn't exist if you were building it as part of the TTC subway network. Overall, I think that using GO REX along the Richmond Hill line north of Don Mills Centre is a much better way of reaching RHC than an extension of the Yonge Subway. The best way to relieve the Yonge line is to get people from York Region onto a route that better serves their needs (faster), which in turn opens up capacity for Toronto riders.

    Quote Originally Posted by reaperexpress View Post
    I was also thinking of the Cambridge-Guelph line as a part of the Grand River LRT network, but regional rail makes a lot of sense there too.
    Again, yup, using mainline technology allows the line to be used by Toronto-bound GO trains, as well as potentially by an O-Train style DMU or EMU from Kitchener to Guelph and from Guelph to Cambridge. The Ion LRT would form the 3rd side of that transit triangle. Smaller stations could be added that could be served only by the DMU service. For example, in Guelph between Fife and Imperial, in Guelph at Elmira, and in Kitchener at Lancaster. None of those stations make sense in a regional rail context, but they do make sense in terms of a local DMU service.

    The corridor from Cambridge to Guelph would need quite a bit of work in order to be commuter rail ready, but it would still be significantly less expensive than most other rail-based transit options between those two cities.
    Twitter: @JAndrewJ86

  9. #3729

    Default

    Good stuff. And I see your Distillery station as you mentioned in the Queens Quay East thread... makes sense. I’m just surprised a Midtown corridor wasn’t added. Do you think it has any use in our future, or is the demand simply not there?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •