Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Freed Celebrates the Start of Construction on Sixty Colborne
ALSO
Page 240 of 240 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240
Results 3,586 to 3,600 of 3600

Thread: Transit Fantasy Maps

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    It's a massively huge area of park, stretching from near Gerrard Street to north of Eglinton. Putting a station to access it, where the line crosses it, seems like a great idea. Sure, it won't get much peak usage. But if it could done cheaply, it would enhance the city. I wouldn't suggest it, except that you've gone right through it.
    I know exactly where it is, and the entire valley corridor from Eglinton to the lake like the back of my hand...maybe I'm exaggerating
    If it could be done cheaply, and maybe some private financing, air rights leasing (or I guess 'ground rights' because it's an inverted station on a ridge), or a donation by Weston or something...I guess. But the only way I see it done is a special one-unit shuttle car used once every 2h, off-peak. And a tail track for it sit idle.

And the valley is not "one park". I'd like it to be. But it's a corridor hacked and allocated to many uses: sewage, gas, highways, expressways, freight/commuter rail, storage, etc. Other than dirt paths and undesignated trails, the public realm and pedestrian connectivity of the valley is sorely lacking.

I don't think a station, 1.5 km from Kennedy and 2.5 km from Lawrence East (at Lawrence East and McCowan) is an unreasonable ask. That's still huge gaps between stations. And how does putting a station at Eglinton East and Danforth create a longer route? The plan for subway according to the various TTC and city diagrams for the last year or so is to go under Eglinton East to Danforth, up Danforth to McCowan, and then up McCowan to Sheppard. If you are thinking of another alignment, then surely it's going to create a longer route!
    I agree a station at [STRIKE]Lawrence and McCowan[/STRIKE] Danforth Rd/Eglinton makes sense. But it was omitted from the voted plan for a reason: cost, and the appearance that a "Scarboro Subway" is somehow faster than elevated 'light' RT. But this is apples and oranges. There are no residents, and very little employment in the Don Valley.
    Last edited by 44 North; 2014-Sep-19 at 11:17. Reason: scarb subway station location

Quote Originally Posted by 44 North View Post
    I agree a station at Lawrence and McCowan makes sense. But it was omitted from the voted plan for a reason: cost, and the appearance that a "Scarboro Subway" is somehow faster than elevated 'light' RT.
    The plans have always shown 3 stations. Lawrence and McCowan; Scarborough Centre (on/near McCowan) and McCowan/Sheppard.

It's the Danforth/Eglinton station that I think you mean.

3. Default

By the time it opens no one will remember Don King and then it won't be funny anymore.

4. Default

Compilation of many past plans that never came to be:

http://levyrapidtransit.ca/category/blog/

Was inspired by a comment in the Downtown Relief Line thread.

Basic idea here is making the Sheppard East LRT turn south on Don Mills towards Eglinton and interlining it with Eglinton. Effectively creating two branches. The DRL is brought up to Eglinton allowing Sheppard riders to transfer directly to the DRL.

Benefits:

- Increased frequency through central portion of Eglinton which (I personally believe) will exceed ridership expectations.
    - de facto elimination of all transfer problems. Sheppard riders can choose to transfer to Sheppard subway, DRL at Don Mills-Eglinton, or continue along Eglinton to Yonge.
    - Actual relief to the Yonge Line. Regular DRL routing relieves Bloor-Yonge and downtown streetcars same as before, but now with this Sheppard-Eglinton interlining, all of Scarborough North will transfer on to the DRL instead of the Yonge line.

Also while doing this map I realized how fricken many stations there are on Sheppard East. What the hell? We don't need half those stations. Ionview and Ferrand can also be eliminated from Eglinton.

^ well that's what comes with LRT. On LRT, you can get off infront of your house. I like the map, but it begs the question why not bring the DRL to don mills. What program did you use to make this?
    Last edited by interchange42; Today at 00:13. Reason: Reposted image deleted

Quote Originally Posted by WislaHD View Post

Also while doing this map I realized how fricken many stations there are on Sheppard East. What the hell? We don't need half those stations. Ionview and Ferrand can also be eliminated from Eglinton.
    Because like along the 512, everyone wants to have a stop within 2 minutes walk, pretending it is for the seniors and handicapped. So a potentially rapid line which could work great end up stopping every 90 seconds and taking forever for anyone to get anywhere.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ksun View Post
    Because like along the 512, everyone wants to have a stop within 2 minutes walk, pretending it is for the seniors and handicapped. So a potentially rapid line which could work great end up stopping every 90 seconds and taking forever for anyone to get anywhere.
    The proposed Sheppard East spacing is far greater than the 512.

Quote Originally Posted by denfromoakvillemilton View Post
    ^ well that's what comes with LRT. On LRT, you can get off infront of your house. I like the map, but it begs the question why not bring the DRL to don mills. What program did you use to make this?
    I wish I knew some magic website that allowed you to draw sophisticated lines on a map, but I just slaved away on Paint.Net for an hour.

Anyway to answer your question, this route is potentially cheaper than DRL to Sheppard and prevents the need to convert Sheppard Subway into LRT.

We could potentially do the same thing with the proposed Jane LRT, have it interline with Eglinton in the west.

Google earth is your friend. Big maps, fast. I can draw out a map like that in 5 minutes. Well, without stop names.
    check out my future toronto renders, complete with colour coding of the stages of construction!

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...ronto-3d-model

Quote Originally Posted by WislaHD View Post
    I wish I knew some magic website that allowed you to draw sophisticated lines on a map, but I just slaved away on Paint.Net for an hour.

Anyway to answer your question, this route is potentially cheaper than DRL to Sheppard and prevents the need to convert Sheppard Subway into LRT.

We could potentially do the same thing with the proposed Jane LRT, have it interline with Eglinton in the west.
    That's fair, but a subway would actually pull people off Yonge-University line, with a larger capacity of course. But the interlining option I like. I always thought the Jane LRT could be connected to the crosstown as well. I think it would relieve the Weston buses as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by innsertnamehere View Post
    Google earth is your friend. Big maps, fast. I can draw out a map like that in 5 minutes. Well, without stop names.
    Thanks. Will consider for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by ksun View Post
    The proposed Sheppard East spacing is far greater than the 512.
    How many times have we said that Sheppard & Finch LRTs are faster and have much wider stop spacing than both St Clair and Spadina? At least 5 times I think.

It will probably never sink in. I don't like inaccurate information floating around, but it's probably useless to keep correcting and correcting. I should probably give up.

I wish people would argue against LRT using real facts, which you can do, rather than inaccurate and untrue statements like "they are as slow as the existing bus" "they are as slow as St Clair or Spadina".

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ehlow View Post
    How many times have we said that Sheppard & Finch LRTs are faster and have much wider stop spacing than both St Clair and Spadina? At least 5 times I think.
    ]5? There was page after page after page of it in 2009 or so ...

]5? There was page after page after page of it in 2009 or so ...
    Wow so it is really useless.

The thing is, it's pretty easy for anybody to verify. You can just go to google maps, and check existing stop spacing by doing "directions to/from" from one stop to the other. It tells you the distance.

You can do that for existing routes like St Clair or the current Sheppard East bus. Then you do the same thing for the LRT stations to compare.

You can also pretty find the average speeds of routes online, and the average speed in the EAs for the given route.

Quote Originally Posted by ehlow View Post

It will probably never sink in. I don't like inaccurate information floating around, but it's probably useless to keep correcting and correcting. I should probably give up.

I wish people would argue against LRT using real facts, which you can do, rather than inaccurate and untrue statements like "they are as slow as the existing bus" "they are as slow as St Clair or Spadina".
    I wasn't implying it would be as slow as st Clair but density along Sheppard is also much lower. So basically both lines have an equal percentage of unnecessary stops. (About 1/3-1/2)
    Essentially the spacing shown in the Shepard LRT is about the same as what central Paris or Manhattan's density justifies yet we have it along Sheppard - very suburban built form.

Sometimes I do want a subway there not because it is necessary but because it is the only way to be expensive enough for ttc not to have that crazy number of stops.