UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Photo of the Day: Yonge and Dundas
ALSO
Page 244 of 244 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244
Results 3,646 to 3,658 of 3658

Thread: Transit Fantasy Maps

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by denfromoakvillemilton View Post
    Why not extend the sheppard line to Malvern or Eglinton instead of Blooor Danforth? People have mentioned Eglinton West. People have spoken on Eglinton West. I'm really interested on what software you use Hopkins. Great map.
    Thanks for the feedback. I was actually thinking of interlining the Bloor-Danforth and Sheppard Lines east of McCowan to Morningside Hts but thought it might be overkill. I don't care one way or the other whether it is SmartTrack or the Crosstown that is routed through the Richview corridor so long as it's grade-separated and has fewer stops (stops at all the midblocks which the 32 bus typically just flies by without stopping seems like a waste of resources and time IMO).

Oh and I just used Google Earth and MS Paint.

BlogTO: Toronto Subway Stops That Will Never Happen

Name:  20141020-parkdale.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  20141020-mortimer.jpg
Size:  147.5 KB

Name:  20141020-junction.jpg
Size:  128.2 KB

Name:  20141020-dovercourt.jpg
Size:  145.2 KB

Name:  20141020-degrassi.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  20141020-roncesvalles-station.jpg
Size:  175.6 KB

Name:  20141020-garrison-creek-station.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  155.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by salsa View Post
    BlogTO: Toronto Subway Stops That Will Never Happen
    Ah, cool. For my DRL proposal I added station names, and felt it more fitting to go with more obscure choices for naming. As opposed to simply the major street it's near, or choosing one neighbourhood out of several. IMO it's more of a humble approach and gives the opportunity to acknowledge things like an area's heritage.

I also adjusted the map so that the differences between elevated, underground, and surface portions is more evident.
    Name:  Don-Line_6_new-2_7.png
Views: 176
Size:  2.89 MB

Nice map! Only thing that I would add is a station at or between Bay and York. However, that can also be done by building the King DRL platform with Yonge at one end at Bay at the other.

This DRL proposal would definitely be significantly less expensive than the "traditional" alignment, and would adequately address all of the issues that the traditional alignment addresses as well.
    Currently looking for a Junior Urban Planner position in the GTA. Please message me if you know any firms or individuals who may be interested!

Like I've voiced in the past, I want phase 1 to go all the way to Spadina or Bathurst.

I know this is not the preferred trajectory since we are missing out on East York, but since the proper DRL seems so costly and so technically challenging and like something that will open in 2035 if we are fortunate, this might not be a bad alternative.

That being said, I don't like missing out on Flemingdon Park and the Thorncliffe station being so far away from where people live in Thorncliffe park.

I like your Don Valley alignment. My only nitpick is, I think Eglinton should be orange

That Leaside Laird area would sure get a huge amount of rapid transit with your alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by WislaHD View Post
    Like I've voiced in the past, I want phase 1 to go all the way to Spadina or Bathurst.

I know this is not the preferred trajectory since we are missing out on East York, but since the proper DRL seems so costly and so technically challenging and like something that will open in 2035 if we are fortunate, this might not be a bad alternative.

That being said, I don't like missing out on Flemingdon Park and the Thorncliffe station being so far away from where people live in Thorncliffe park.
    Is this more what you had in mind?

Name:  Don.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  2.18 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ehlow View Post
    I like your Don Valley alignment. My only nitpick is, I think Eglinton should be orange

That Leaside Laird area would sure get a huge amount of rapid transit with your alignment.
    Is the dotted line through downtown underground? How about the dotted line on Eglinton - is it at-grade?

Thanks for the feedback!
    @WisaHD, yes I agree completely that a DRL should be extended to King/Dufferin area in its initial construction. Reason itís not included in this map is because I wanted to keep the proposal in-line with current proposals (i.e TTC DRTES Option 2b, and Metrolinxís 2-3) for better cost/length comparison. Not to mention the fact that a St Andrew to Don Mills routing fits better on my mapís layout.

And the Thorncliffe station location isnít that bad. Itís somewhat ďfarĒ from current residents, but it wonít be for the additional development closer to the station. It is what it is.

@Gweed. Yes, I think this proposal addresses everything that the usual DRL does...clearly some aspects less than others. However I firmly believe that its failings are made up for with the cost-saving opportunities and a shortened construction timeframe.

@ehlow. Correct, it does seem a tad rapid transit heavy in the Leaside area. My remedy for that would be to remove Leslie station from the Crosstown.

Quote Originally Posted by 44 North View Post
    Here's my proposal for a Phase II of my previously-posted version of a 'light' DRL. I believe it's realistic, and that both branches can be completed for less than the price of a Sheppard Subway. Funding can be allocated from the SELRT, in-median portion of Eglinton East, and the shortening of the Scarborough Subway to only STC. Its impact on Scarborough, North York, and the commuting pattern of >100,000 would be significant.

From Don Mills/Eglinton the Scarborough branch would emerge from a tunnel alongside the CPR main freight corridor. This would continue to Warden, where the line would run elevated along Ellesmere to east of Kennedy. The elevated guideway of the SRT would be kept, rebuilt, and extended to Markham Rd/Sheppard as previously proposed.

A route along Don Mills from Eglinton to Sheppard is more of a fantasy addition, but entirely realistic. Preferably it would be elevated - but in-median or tunneled is possible as long as it remains grade-separated. The use of the CPR corridor is a tricky proposition, but the corridor is wide enough to accommodate more tracks through this area and it seems in realm of feasibility.

Others have mentioned Richmond Hill RER... I don't believe RER is very realistic south of Sheppard for the Richmond Hill corridor. The route through the valley is too circuitous, flood prone, and unreachable for a significant area of Toronto to be of much use.
    Name:  DonLine-Branch_2.png
Views: 101
Size:  722.8 KB
    IMO I think itís only logical to keep the SRT corridor alive. For a city (and especially Scarb) thatís supposedly in dire need of transit, it doesnít make much sense to abandon a key piece of infrastructure. The SRT is decades-old decision, and in many ways it was the right one. Having it extended west along a post-war/industrial section of Ellesmere, then running it alongside a rail corridor to a tunnel at Don Mills shouldnít be all that much more challenging than the current SRTís construction.

Even if the Scarborough Branch were to be a standalone line, I think itís a much better use of scarce capital than the SELRT and in-median portion of Eglinton East Ė both for actual commuters, and the socio-political/psychological issues concerning Scarborough being Ďunderservedí with Ďlesser transití. The reason Light rail and ICTS have become so popular is because of its flexibility. And there's nothing flexible about running the mode in the middle of an arterial for +10km.
    Last edited by 44 North; 2014-Oct-21 at 22:17.

Quote Originally Posted by BurlOak View Post
    Is the dotted line through downtown underground? How about the dotted line on Eglinton - is it at-grade?
    Oh right, I kinda screwed that up. For the DRL, dotted = underground. For the rest of the system it means surface/in-median.

Quote Originally Posted by BurlOak View Post
    Is this more what you had in mind?
    Yes exactly!

I was actually going to make my own fantasy map off of these new ideas but somehow ended up with just making a really high resolution template map instead.

I'm now too tired to make a fantasy map, but I might as well share it here for others to use: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yxzx2yjbd...ltMap.jpg?dl=0

It is a massive image, I don't think the dropbox preview is even properly working. You will have to download the raw file.

Quote Originally Posted by WislaHD View Post
    Yes exactly!

I was actually going to make my own fantasy map off of these new ideas but somehow ended up with just making a really high resolution template map instead.

I'm now too tired to make a fantasy map, but I might as well share it here for others to use: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yxzx2yjbd...ltMap.jpg?dl=0

It is a massive image, I don't think the dropbox preview is even properly working. You will have to download the raw file.
    Thanks! For anyone who's interested, here's the two base images that I use for all of my to-scale maps.

The first one is a Toronto-centred map that shows a little bit of the surrounding 905 municipalities: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7ucx7fm9d...onto.jpeg?dl=0

The second one is a map of the entire urban GTHA: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2tyifkynng3q7ce/GTA.jpg?dl=0

Both are pretty massive files. I created them by stitching together high quality Google Earth images back when I had access to a Google Earth Pro account. Feel free to use them however you see fit.
    Currently looking for a Junior Urban Planner position in the GTA. Please message me if you know any firms or individuals who may be interested!

Very nice!

I made my map using this website tool and stitching the pictures together: http://gmaps-samples-v3.googlecode.c...ard/index.html

You can play around with it to get some really nice custom google maps.